Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 08:59 AM

125 posts, read 184,382 times

Advertisements

I moved to RC from Lexington, Kentucky. I bought a house on the west side of Rapid that was 1000 square feet bigger than the house in Kentucky and only cost about $35k more. My property taxes did double. But I'm also not paying a state income tax anymore, or a local city income tax. So in the end it's definitely cheaper to live here.

I now live in a city where people getting murdered is a rarity, folks are genuinely friendly, there's a trout stream in the middle of town, and people don't care what church you go to.

You can keep Kentucky, I'll never move back. Rapid is worth the price tag.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2014, 09:44 PM

23 posts, read 49,657 times
Property taxes are not high in Rapid City. People are nice. The weather is nice. The grass is green in the summer and it snows sometimes in the winter.

Old 10-02-2014, 10:51 AM

47 posts, read 70,068 times
I don't know how many of you have seen the movie "Joe Dirt", but for those of you who have, Rapid City sounds a lot like "Silver Town." Not only is it as beautiful as advertised, but it also sounds like the kind of town where nearly EVERYBODY is friendly and seems to mind their own business. Living in the South the majority of my life, I am so sick and tired of everybody down here gossiping. They do that about EVERYBODY down here, including their so-called best friends. People here still yes "ma'am" and "sir", but they also have filthy, raunchy mouths on them and they absolutely love to bash their friends, neighbors, even family members. It's ridiculous. Rapid City doesn't sound like that kind of place, at least not to me.

I'm not foolish enough to think that EVERY little aspect of Rapid City is going to be perfect. There will, undoubtedly, be things that take some getting used to. But as a whole, it definitely sounds like the kind of place I want to raise my family. We aren't naïve enough to go into this with blinders on. Again, we know there will be pros and cons, as there is with ANY city or town. To us, the pros FAR outweigh the cons. We would be up there yesterday if it was within our power. March can't possibly get here fast enough!

Old 10-02-2014, 10:54 AM

By the way, can any of you who live in Rapid give me a little info on things such as: home phone, internet, cable (or Dish or DirecTV), preferably package or bundle deals? Who are the providers of said services? What are the typical rates? That kind of thing. Thank you so much in advance.

-Adam

Old 10-02-2014, 02:35 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,556,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator Guy View Post
By the way, can any of you who live in Rapid give me a little info on things such as: home phone, internet, cable (or Dish or DirecTV), preferably package or bundle deals? Who are the providers of said services? What are the typical rates? That kind of thing. Thank you so much in advance.

-Adam
There are two options for phone/internet/cable. Midcontinent and Wow (I think it used to be Knology, I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. LOL) I don't really know what rates are like, because we have DirecTV. When I first moved here, I lived in town and had Knology, and I didn't think the rates were any more obnoxious than any other company. Does that help? LOL I never had any problems with the service or company. In my experience, Verizon has been the best option for cell coverage.

Old 10-02-2014, 06:16 PM

Thank you very much, BeagleLady. Yes ma'am, that actually helps a lot. We will most likely be going with DirecTV ourselves. Just can't wait to be up there!

Old 10-03-2014, 08:10 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
Basically there are two sat services. Dish Network and Direct.. I wouldn't touch Direct. I have Dish Network and love it.

Old 10-04-2014, 03:50 AM

Thank you, ElkHunter. Good to know. Totally random hunting question, if that's okay? Out of a .308, 30-06 or 7mm, which do YOU prefer for elk? I'm primarily interested in long range shots from 500-1000 yards (or more). Or would you recommend something more along the lines of a .338 Lapua? I hope it's okay to ask a hunting question in this forum. If not, I truly apologize and will private message you. If it IS okay, I'd be happy to hear advice from ANY of the other hunters in this thread. Never having been out that way, I've never had the opportunity to hunt elk. The possibility of being able to next season (yes, I realize the odds of me being drawn is slim to none, but the possibility exists) is just very exciting.

Old 10-04-2014, 09:23 AM

23 posts, read 49,657 times
Any of them will work well for elk though you won't be needing to take 1000 yard shots. The elk in the hills are practically tame and it's usually no problem to take a 100 yard shot. One of the largest herds west of Hill City has well over 1200 head. Thing is you won't be making any shots for a while. Elk hunting in the hills is on a draw system. I know guys that have been waiting 15 years for a tag.

Old 10-04-2014, 09:40 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
While waiting for an elk tag, put in for a deer tag. Those rats with antlers need to be severely thinned out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City