Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 07:56 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,650,738 times

Advertisements

Is anyone else filled with dread for the 75th Sturgis Motorcycle Rally? The experts estimate there will be a million visitors to the area. The 50th, 60th and 70th rallies were 500,000 to 750,000 people in attendance.

I would also like to propose the planners rename it "trailer week" instead of "bike week." The traffic were mostly SUVs and pickups pulling all sorts of trailers with some sort of bike in or on them.

I'd love to take a week of vacation and leave the area. I have a feeling work will not allow that. I guess I will do what I do every year, put on my game face and be prepared to run short on sleep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2014, 08:55 AM

18,700 posts, read 41,936,036 times
I don't mind, I am just far enough away to enjoy seeing the bikes go by, or stop at the gas station, and not be bothered by congestion.

Old 10-17-2014, 08:56 AM

You are one of the fortunate ones.

Old 10-17-2014, 09:00 AM

18,700 posts, read 41,936,036 times
We get a lot of bikes up here the week before, to visit the Big Horns. The week of the ralley, we only see a few going by on the interstate. The week after, we see a few going through to visit the Big Horns.

Old 10-17-2014, 09:11 AM

23 posts, read 49,517 times
We sort of enjoy watching them but we may decide to head for Montana for a week. Wife and I enjoy prospecting and have access to a new claim up that way. Bigger nuggets up there vs the Hills.

Old 10-17-2014, 09:25 AM

1,582 posts, read 3,101,188 times
Planning our trip to Yellowstone during Rally next year!

Old 10-17-2014, 10:13 AM

16,343 posts, read 8,434,616 times
For starters I cannot imagine living in SD to begin with. Granted it is beautiful country during the summer, but how anyone could/would tolerate the winters is beyond my comprehension. This of course coming from someone who lives in the sunshine state.

Anyway, I have wanted to take one of my bikes to Sturgis for many years, but it is just so far away. Instead I ride to Daytona during bike week. Still I'd love to see Mt. Rushmore, and also enjoy the celebration of so many fellow riders.
So I might wind up being one of those SUV's trailering most of the way up, then enjoying the open road & wind in my face for a week.

As a side not, I'd think people in SD and particularly in the surrounding area of Sturgis would appreciate all the tourist money and taxes that pour in. Granted it might disrupt your daily routines for a few days, but I'm sure the benefits are being overlooked by the OP and others who feel the same way he does.

Old 10-17-2014, 10:48 AM

I am thinking a Glacier vacation. That is contingent on me not having to work. Also, we are thinking of housing some friends from out of town at out our house for that week. The camper would be dandy.

Old 10-17-2014, 11:30 AM

1,582 posts, read 3,101,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
For starters I cannot imagine living in SD to begin with. Granted it is beautiful country during the summer, but how anyone could/would tolerate the winters is beyond my comprehension. This of course coming from someone who lives in the sunshine state.

Anyway, I have wanted to take one of my bikes to Sturgis for many years, but it is just so far away. Instead I ride to Daytona during bike week. Still I'd love to see Mt. Rushmore, and also enjoy the celebration of so many fellow riders.
So I might wind up being one of those SUV's trailering most of the way up, then enjoying the open road & wind in my face for a week.

As a side not, I'd think people in SD and particularly in the surrounding area of Sturgis would appreciate all the tourist money and taxes that pour in. Granted it might disrupt your daily routines for a few days, but I'm sure the benefits are being overlooked by the OP and others who feel the same way he does.
The very reason you state in your first paragraph is why most of us live here - the weather weeds out the winter weenies! We like no humidity, no hurricanes, no (or very few) mosquitos, and lots of snow! A lot of us also prefer a state with a small population - I love the fact that I can get on the interstate and not see another car for miles (no, really, I mean it!).

And we are very, very aware of the tourism money Sturgis Rally brings to this area, and we are thankful. I work for the National Park Service, and we are all about tourism. But 1,000,000 people is more than the population of our entire state (before you pick on me - I have lived in Syracuse, NY, Chicago, IL and Indianapolis, IN - I know what it is to live where there are lots of people, and I no longer prefer it). Having that many people crash our state in a week is stressful for some of us, so we may choose not to be here and participate. I wish all the party-goers the best and welcome them to spend as much of their hard-earned cash as they please while they visit. I respectfully request that they do it with manners and treat our home as they would want their home treated. Anyone who can do so with class is welcome to visit in my book, so hook up that trailer and come on up! Enjoy your visit, and I apologize ahead of time for not being here to greet you. The moose and the geysers and the peace and quiet are calling my name!

Old 10-17-2014, 11:54 AM

Most of the sales and use tax collected pays for the services required to host the rally. Extra law enforcement, traffic control and other essential services.

Business owners profit, employess make decent money. It is far from the sum of the whole as an area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City