Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 09:25 AM

54 posts, read 196,261 times

Advertisements

good morning all,
husband might have a job offer in sturgis, we are very familiar with the area as lived in rapid/ellsworth area for 20+ years. I have a few questions about life in sturgis thou...lol
1. curious about school,s growen up in rapid, all i ever heard was bad things about sturgis schools, drugs, light gang activity, and high rate of teen pregnancy, all mainly focused around rally and kids had nothen better to do. i have kids of my own now, and would like to know what people there really think about their school. I have a 13yr old son who is honor roll, so want good academics for him, a 12 yr old daughter who struggles with some classes and needs good, focused teachers that are willing to help her verses overlook her like we deal with now, and a 6yr son who is hsowing signs of being smart like his brother so want good elem to encourage him.
2. need info on utilities, electric co, gas/propane, phone, net and cable. we prefer cable verses satilite, and would prefer all in one deal(phone,net,cable)
please list all avalible providors so that we can call and your imput on who might be better on that list would be helpfull.
3. rentals, since this job might be at VA hospitol, would prefer to live as close to it as posiable, this might happen at end of april, and will be looken for 3-4 bedroom, or 2-3 with finished basement, in a good area, quiet and affordable rent,(glad to see rapid is finally realizing everyone cant afford their pricy rent and have brought prices down some...lol) and would also allow a neutered declawed cat.
4. school bus service, im a stay at home now, but looken to go back to work(any part time jobs available in sturgis???? but would want to know about school bus service? what parts is it available in and what parts do you have to transport your kids to school? and also, when does school end for year and start back up in fall.
5. if ya had a choice to live in sturgis or outside of it, which would you do if you had job there? we ride a harley to, but during rally, dont want to take 2 hrs to get to work due to traffic....lol. we have friends sayen piedmont area good, any thoughts?
thanks for all your help, hopefully will make a choice as to if moven back to SD withen week or 2, so this info will be so helpfull. have a good day all!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 09:58 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,439,639 times
Hi Harleyrider, I'll leave most of the questions for the people who live in the Hills, but just wanted to let you know that I would personally live in the town I work in. It's just much easier when winter gets here. Good luck on your move. It's a beautiful area.

Old 03-05-2008, 11:23 AM

3,941 posts, read 14,714,004 times
I think Sturgis has really cleaned up in the past decade or so. There are a lot of new homes in between Rapid City and Sturgis, mostly Rapid Citians living in Meade County in order to avoid high property taxes, and they're mostly in developments. The nicer homes I've seen around Sturgis are on the south end of town towards Vanocker Canyon. Many people have been building homes in Boulder Canyon which is between Deadwood and Sturgis. Apple Springs Golf Club is a big development in Boulder Canyon too.

Busing is available for Sturgis kids and I've never heard anything bad in particular about Sturgis schools. I can see how pregnancy rates might be higher because hey... it is Sturgis and there's not much else to do but I doubt that the schools are bad.

Old 03-13-2008, 06:26 PM

hi all again...hubby got the job, will be moving back to good ol south dakota next month, so can really use the utility info i mentioned above...electric, gas or propane, and cable/phone/net, perfebabaly if can get a bundle service with highspeed. thanks to ones who already answered about housing/schools, gives us some areas to check out...wow, only been gone from blackhills for 4 years...seems sturgis area is growing!!! thats good!!! and now its about to add 5 more to that population....lol thou i will miss the warmer weather of the south....i am glad to be coming home again...seems like i was never supposed to leave SD cuz i always come back....lol

Old 03-13-2008, 09:48 PM

If you have Black Hills Power and Light your utilities will be the lowest in the nation. Yes, the entire nation! The Black Hills lucks out on its cheap energy and I probably pay an average of $90 per month for heating. I also have all electric so gas will be even cheaper in the winter.

I have Knology Communications (formerly Prairie Wave) for phone, cable and internet. The full package is around $100 per month. I also have High-Def, DVR, and I make frequent long distance calls so my bill is about $160 per month. Not too bad really.

Old 03-18-2008, 06:40 PM

Default gotcha beat there...lol

have to differ with ya there danny, down south is cheaper electric, especially in TN, i used to think SD was cheap to when lived there before, but while in idaho, paid little less, and down here in TN, pay alot less, im in a ALL electric house,even oven, water heater, etc, family of 5, lights, tvs, everything on all the time, and with central air 24/7 come summer, and my total highest bill so far was 127!!!!, otherwise monthly average is about 80. i have to laugh thou, down here, they complain all the time how high it is.....lol my last electric bill in rapid city for summer(runnen air conditioner) was 178, and that was lights and air conditioners, i had propane heat/cook stove.
crap...now forgot which cable ya said ya had.....lol, knowlegy??? im hearing they are good, better then mid cont....and the package price does sound good, i see they have phone, net and cable for 119...thats not bad at all!!! im payen 110 just for dish network right now.....and they suck!!! be so glad when i dont have to use them anymore.
are you right in sturgis or surrounding?? i ask cuz ive got the utulity info i think now for most part...but curious about water and trash??? any areas on well water??? and if you or anyone else can tell me what neighborhoods/streets to truely avoid, we have 3 kids, and dont want to be near creeps/sex offenders(can run check on those) or drug houses. want some decent friendly neighbors....lol i know one family kinda up there, otherwise, i lived in rapid and only went to sturgis for rally, so dont have a true feel of it, i know in rapid where not to live....lol thanks for info!!!

Old 03-18-2008, 07:22 PM

I'm not in Sturgis. I'm in Rapid City. That's funny how people complain about their low bills! Sturgis and Rapid City have sewer but many if not most homes in Piedmont, Summerset, and Tilford have wells.

Old 03-18-2008, 08:27 PM

205 posts, read 729,307 times
Danny, What is the source of drinking water in Rapid City? Is it hard or soft? I don't like to use chemically softened water.

Old 03-18-2008, 09:24 PM

Rapid City relies on the Madison Formation, an underground aquifer just west of town. The water comes from Pactola Reservoir, a large lake 20 miles into the mountains. Rapid City has hard water so you have to get a softener to get soft water.

Old 03-25-2008, 07:09 PM

Default water

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
I'm not in Sturgis. I'm in Rapid City. That's funny how people complain about their low bills! Sturgis and Rapid City have sewer but many if not most homes in Piedmont, Summerset, and Tilford have wells.
thanks danny for well info, grew up on well water, and in valley, mostly well, so glad to hear those areas are also. dont mind city water, just hate all the clorine they tend to put in it,, hate the bleachy taste....lol
now, if anyone knows of a nice decent rental that has 3-4 bedrooms, would love a basement, and really prefer a garage or at least some sheds, would prefer more of country setting verses right in town and allows animals. any info would be great, can private email me if need be(with this message thing on this i guess....lol) we will arrive april 23rd appx. nothing to exensive, between black hawk and whitewood best, or closer to fort meade would be ideal. thanks all and have a good day!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City