Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 05:50 PM

1 posts, read 1,661 times

Advertisements

Little late to the party here, but call Ponderosa Apartments in Spearfish. "This property has received funding in part through the Section 515 Rural Rental Housing (Section 515) program. Very low, low, and moderate income families, elderly persons, and persons with disabilities are eligible to live at this property."

I had two family members that lived there so I would recommend it. Clean, safe, quiet apartment complex near medical treatment facilities. Mostly elderly tenants.

Spearfish a lovely little town and this complex is near the downtown area with small shops and a few restaurants. While it's a small town, I think people tend to mind their own business. You wouldn't experience the racial tension we have in Rapid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 06:09 PM

15 posts, read 35,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Half2Run View Post
Little late to the party here, but call Ponderosa Apartments in Spearfish. "This property has received funding in part through the Section 515 Rural Rental Housing (Section 515) program. Very low, low, and moderate income families, elderly persons, and persons with disabilities are eligible to live at this property."

I had two family members that lived there so I would recommend it. Clean, safe, quiet apartment complex near medical treatment facilities. Mostly elderly tenants.

Spearfish a lovely little town and this complex is near the downtown area with small shops and a few restaurants. While it's a small town, I think people tend to mind their own business. You wouldn't experience the racial tension we have in Rapid.
Half2Run,

I'm glad I subscribed for email replies to this thread. Thank you very much for the recommendation! I'm a very quiet guy looking for peace, and your suggestion sounds excellent. I will look into that complex.

Old 08-04-2017, 08:47 PM

517 posts, read 1,047,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revellion View Post
Half2Run,

I'm glad I subscribed for email replies to this thread. Thank you very much for the recommendation! I'm a very quiet guy looking for peace, and your suggestion sounds excellent. I will look into that complex.

And Spearfish is at the mouth of the Spearfish canyon the best kept secret in the country.

Cheers
Qazulight

Old 09-22-2017, 04:23 AM

1,143 posts, read 1,377,946 times
Sonny, I'm sure Revellion doesn't mean any harm. I don't think he's trying to discriminate against anyone, he just wants to blend in.

I don't know you, but I would guess that there were times that you felt more comfortable being around other Indian people. If so, would that not make you a racist?

If you were looking for a job and you walked into a Mexican restaurant to get an application, and you noticed that everyone who worked there was Mexican, and speaking to each other in Spanish, would you be offended? Would you want to sue them for discrimination if they didn't hire you? I'm pretty sure there are Indian restaurants out there that practice this same form of discrimination. When you said "We don't discriminate against people for their skin colors" did you forget that maybe "you" and your kind actually do in some situations?

How about the few China-towns that are scattered around the country? Should we not go on a crusade to break them up?

Yes racism is bad, and I believe skin color shouldn't matter, but I think it's normal and common for people to naturally feel more comfortable when surrounded by their own kind.

It's good that you want to change the world and make it a better place, but just try to cut people some slack. Maybe it's not just Revellion who is the "idot" here, as you said.

Old 09-22-2017, 05:56 AM

1,143 posts, read 1,377,946 times
Hey Sonny, I may owe you a little bit of an apology. I missed the other thread where he said "White is still the majority, but like most of the United States, arrangements are being made so that will not be the case for long".

Although I still agree with the stuff I wrote above, that statement is definitely crossing the line.

Hey Revellion, please try harder to be more accepting of others.

Old 09-23-2017, 06:53 PM

8,299 posts, read 2,915,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny Blacks View Post
Um, no. It isn't "what it is". Racism is not allowed on this website, and I flagged your comment.

U Know, I have read this forum for Years, but I just signed up, because of an idiot like you. Im from ND but have stayed in SD as well. You ARE a racist. Who cares what color skin someone has? The only race is human. Skin color is a meaningless physical characteristic, much like hair or eye color. So u wouldn't want to live with people who have other skin colors? I hope CD bans your butt. I have brown skin. My parents hail from India. Is that a problem? I'm an American citizen just like you are. To discriminate against someone for their skin color is absolutely disgusting, and I'm surprised nobody on this forum has called u out yet. I have friends who are black, white, Asian, Hispanic, and every other combination thereof. Nobody cares what skin color someone has. You are disgraceful and we don't want u in the Dakotas, if u discriminate.
Revellion said nothing that was racist or idiotic. Most people prefer to live around those of their own race. That doesn't make them a "racist" or "idiot" and doesn't mean they hate others. Btw, the term "racist" is so overused and inappropriately used that it no longer has much pull anymore. So you may have a problem with those that prefer those of their own race but your insults and name calling have been reported. Please show some tolerance and stop the insults. Thanks.

Last edited by Leona Valley; 09-23-2017 at 06:55 PM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 05-01-2021, 05:45 PM

4 posts, read 5,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revellion View Post
I cannot work while on SSDI...at least not for another 2 years. After that, I think I can work up to 20 hours a week to supplement my SSDI. But, they COULD use that information to determine that I can work full time, and take away the SSDI. In all honesty, my anxiety is so bad that I can't last for very long periods of time around people, so I find it unlikely that I would be able to work...even 2 years from now. For what it's worth, I do have a good amount of money in the bank in case of emergency, and have a growing IRA...but I can't really touch the IRA right now without a 10% penalty due to my age.

Anyway, in answer to your concern about being able to survive on $1600 NET/month. Let's say I find something @ $600/month including utilities. Then I pay $50 for internet, $40 for car insurance, $200 food, $100 gas (remember, I don't work...not much driving. $100 is 3 tanks of gas in a month...or 1000 miles. Plenty IMO).

So..... $600 + $50 + $40 + $200 + $100 = $990. That leaves me with $610 left over with which to split between entertainment/activities and Savings. I figure I could pee away $360/month on entertainment/activities and still save $250/month. Hell, I could probably save more and do fewer activities. Most of my activities would likely be nature hiking and amateur astronomy anyway. That would only involve gas money to drive to locations where I could partake in my hobbies. Wouldn't amount to much....

And remember, if anything happens where I need emergency money (like a car breaking down)...I have a good amount of money in the bank to use in case of emergency.

I'm really thinking I can do this and actually live just fine.

My biggest concern is the quality of the neighborhood I could find for my 450 to 600 rent budget.
You sound a lot like me, in that my SS is $1601 and I am looking to avoid a lot of people (not for anxiety). I am expecting to live just fine, also. I just applied for an apartment in Wyoming for $500 (without utilities), 2 BR, 1.5 bath, but I do not know the location of an SS office. There might be one in Rock Springs, as well as psych docs. Studios are less, and I saw some under $400 today which I think were in Idaho. (Been online half the day looking for a place.) Wyoming has cities and towns that are nearly all white (since that is a factor for you), and some have a small Hispanic population. A fellow on the Wyoming forum recently commented that Wyoming is not good for criminals (due to almost everyone owns guns), so it should be safer than many states. I hope this helps. Best of luck to both of us!

Old 05-03-2021, 01:08 PM

4 posts, read 5,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meena65 View Post
You sound a lot like me, in that my SS is $1601 and I am looking to avoid a lot of people (not for anxiety). I am expecting to live just fine, also. I just applied for an apartment in Wyoming for $500 (without utilities), 2 BR, 1.5 bath, but I do not know the location of an SS office. There might be one in Rock Springs, as well as psych docs. Studios are less, and I saw some under $400 today which I think were in Idaho. (Been online half the day looking for a place.) Wyoming has cities and towns that are nearly all white (since that is a factor for you), and some have a small Hispanic population. A fellow on the Wyoming forum recently commented that Wyoming is not good for criminals (due to almost everyone owns guns), so it should be safer than many states. I hope this helps. Best of luck to both of us!
Sorry, I just saw the date of this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City