Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2017, 07:54 PM

2,919 posts, read 3,186,351 times

Advertisements

Was just curious if hail storms are a yearly concern for residents in RC. And if car damage from them is a constant concern and occurence. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2017, 03:01 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,856,235 times
No worry, as long as you have good auto insurance & a garage. Otherwise hail damage can be a consrn to any property owner in S D.

uh

Old 11-07-2017, 11:52 AM

125 posts, read 183,696 times
Hail is extremely common here. We get hail with nearly every thunderstorm over the summer. That being said, we've been here 5 yrs and park exclusively outside; and this past summer is the first time I've even received hail damage on any of my vehicles. It's pretty noticeable up close, but not from a distance and none of the windows or windshield was damaged.

Old 04-18-2023, 03:14 PM

414 posts, read 972,729 times
I would not buy a really nice car and park it outside. Hail can be severe and put a lot of dents into a car in just minutes. Sunroofs can be broken and the car flooded. If you plant a garden putting hail netting over it is a good idea as one hail storm will wipe the garden out.

Old 04-19-2023, 12:05 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,106,410 times
My family's experience over many years in the Rapid area. The in-laws lived outside Piedmont and our son graduated from SD School of Mines and Technology, so we spent a lot of time in the area. Lots of smaller pea-sized hail, but a couple times marble/grape sized. Never heard or saw anything bigger in the Rapid City metro, but heard of it just a bit further east or south towards Hot Springs. As soon as our son graduated and took a job in Fort Collins, CO his car was totaled from hail damage. I'd say the Colorado front range has more of a hail risk than the Black Hills 'front range.'

Old 05-11-2023, 08:44 PM

3,886 posts, read 4,539,685 times
When my hubby got permission to go remote in early 2020, (this was shortly before the pandemic) RC was one of the areas we went to check out on a 2 week road trip. There was a really lovely apartment in the area that we really liked, but noticed there were no carports in the parking lot and very few garages that people were on waiting lists for. We had heard about the hail and asked why there were no carports to protect the cars and the manager said there was some sort of ordinance about keeping open spaces or some nonsense. (Or maybe they didn't want to invest in carports?) I asked how bad the hail gets and he said some people put a tarp or something over their cars if they know a storm is coming but he also told us that in the summer before there was a big hail storm that completely destroyed all the cars in the parking lot!! I was like WHAT??? He just shrugged and said, well, that's what we get insurance for.
I don't know... there was something really off about the whole thing, nevertheless we literally tossed a coin between RC and another city, and the other city won in the end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City