Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2018, 03:08 PM

75 posts, read 198,823 times

Advertisements

Ok so I noticed that airfare is CRAZY going in and out of RAP.
Are there any tips and tricks you can give me when travelling in or out of RAP? It’s mostly gonna be to and from Salt lake City. Thanks in advance!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2018, 09:38 AM

125 posts, read 182,935 times
Unfortunately you're SOL. RAP is the only major airport between Sioux Falls and Denver so you're pretty much screwed. And there's so much demand in the summer with all the tourists that teh rates are much higher than in winter. Compound that with the fact that your flying from SLC so you're only choice in Delta and your looking at a recipe for high fares. Sorry I don't have better news for you.

Old 05-16-2018, 12:35 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,843,645 times
I would try flying to Denver and rent a car to drive to Rapid.

uh

Old 05-16-2018, 10:15 PM

37 posts, read 42,038 times
There appear to be commercial flights between Gillete, WY (GCC) and SLC via a DEN layover.

Old 05-17-2018, 02:47 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,570 posts, read 57,505,129 times
RAP is one of those destinations that you need to use Free frequent flyer miles (or you PAY).

The drive from Denver to RC is a long Haul (but cheapest flights). I used to truck it daily. Winters were fun. Summers brought exciting prairie lightning storms, hail and twisters. Not too many 'dull' trips! ALways some deer, antelope, and open range cattle on the road to keep you awake.

Old 05-17-2018, 10:56 PM

6,972 posts, read 4,812,942 times
Try hiring a private plane. You never know - they might be cheaper. My dad used to work for someone in Rapid City (think he just died recently) as a private pilot, so I know they're out there. Here's one:

https://monarchairgroup.com/rapid-ci...arter-flights/

Old 05-18-2018, 11:38 PM

37 posts, read 42,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Try hiring a private plane. You never know - they might be cheaper. My dad used to work for someone in Rapid City (think he just died recently) as a private pilot, so I know they're out there. Here's one:

https://monarchairgroup.com/rapid-ci...arter-flights/
"Cheap" doesn't come to mind when I think "charter jet". Plug some departure and arrival dates for flights between KRAP (Rapid City) and KSLC (Salt Lake City) airports for one person into their quote request tool. I didn't see anything below $10k.

Also, a private pilot is not allowed to fly passengers for any form of compensation. And when flying any passengers, the pilot must not pay less than their pro rata cost of any flight (e.g. if a flight costs $500 to make, they must contribute $250 or more.)

The cheapest and legal way I know to travel by small plane on one's own schedule than an airline's without a pilot license is to first find a place that rents planes to pilots. Here are a couple I found in the Rapid City area:
Home
Eagle Aviation, Inc. - Full Service FBO Serving Spearfish, Deadwood and Lead, South Dakota
Tell them you would like to rent a plane to fly but need a pilot with a commercial rating or an instructor and ask that pilot to fly you (if they are an instructor you can get some training at the same time with little extra cost.) [A pilot with a commercial rating can't hold themselves out to the public - only an outfit with an air taxi certificate can do that. But the pilots are allowed to fly anyone who comes to them asking for their pilot service! In the latter case the customer must supply the aircraft.]

KRAP and KSLC are 440 nm apart, and 100 knots is a good planning speed of the typical small plane, and after taking account preflight, taxiing and other maneuvering, probably 5 hours time between airports. Plane Training LLC claims to have a Piper Archer available for $125/hr. I don't know their instructor rates, but guesstimate of $50/hr is probably within $10. Assuming 5 hours each way (alas, the pilot and plane need to get back whence they started) the passenger one-way total cost is ~$1750; round trip is ~$3500. If the pilot could cool their heels while the passenger goes about their business the round-trip cost could be cut roughly in half.

If the OP had their own pilot license, then the cost drops to ~$625 each way (this becomes competitive with airlines by simply taking a passenger like a spouse.) The advantage is the departure and arrival times are completely up to the OP, not beholden to airline schedule. Down side is that they wouldn't be able to fly in marginal weather, even with an instrument rating.

Old 05-21-2018, 10:58 PM

6,972 posts, read 4,812,942 times
My dad was considered a professional pilot and although he didn't work for himself, he flew people all over the place. I remember him flying Humphrey when he was stumping around Minnesota back in what, the 60s? Anyway, he was what they called a corporate pilot, but made his own decisions to fly if he thought the weather was too bad. I think he also did a lot of his own maintenance. I know a lot of people go by private plane, so it can't be all that expensive. The only reason I brought it up was because my dad's last job was in Rapid City flying a King Air before he retired. My mom would fly with him sometimes on overnight trips and I went with him once to Casper, Wy. Fun times.

Old 06-19-2018, 05:50 PM

412 posts, read 963,851 times
You can get a cheap flight on Allegant down to Las Vegas and then use Southwest to get flights to pretty much every where in the South west. The catch is you have to book it all yourself as individual flights and only use carry on bags. That is about the cheapest way to get out of Rapid City by air.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City