Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2008, 11:42 PM

205 posts, read 729,171 times

Advertisements

Does Rapid City have hail storms often? I know the central and eastern parts of the state have them, but wonder specifically about the Rapid City and Black Hills area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 12:17 AM

3,941 posts, read 14,710,979 times
Hmm... I can remember having only a couple hailstorms this past year. One was so bad that many cars in the area had hail damage and repair shops were backed up for a couple months! I know this because I was the victim of a hit and run in August and my car wasn't fixed until November!

I don't think the Black Hills gets nearly as much hail as central and eastern SoDak, but we get a fair amount too. In the summer, thunderstorms happen often in the afternoons and with thunderstorms comes the occasional hailstorm.

Old 04-13-2008, 10:19 AM

1,961 posts, read 6,921,728 times
It varies by area. Some years, it seems like areas such as Pierre and Huron get hit harder than the I-29 corridor, others may be the Black Hills, and others it is eastern SD. I agree that eastern SD may get more hail due to the storms having more juice in central and eastern parts of SD due to having more humidity to work with when air masses clash.

Old 04-13-2008, 10:24 AM

3 posts, read 9,711 times
Default Hail in RC

I live in RC and have lived in the Black Hills area my entire 31 years of existance. Freak hail storms happen, but aren't frequent. Northern Hills area (Spearfish) usually has more extreme weather.
But for the most part we don't get much hail. 1 or 2 storms a year if that.

Old 04-13-2008, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburkart View Post
I live in RC and have lived in the Black Hills area my entire 31 years of existance. Freak hail storms happen, but aren't frequent. Northern Hills area (Spearfish) usually has more extreme weather.
But for the most part we don't get much hail. 1 or 2 storms a year if that.
Hey! Another Rapid Citian! Welcome to the forum!

Old 04-13-2008, 03:28 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
Hey! Another Rapid Citian! Welcome to the forum!
I second that. Welcome to the forum.

Old 04-13-2008, 08:18 PM

205 posts, read 729,171 times
Thank you all very much for the information. I have experienced one incredible thunderstorm while driving near Mobridge several years ago, but have not been in a severe hailstorm. Have only seen the aftermath. The roofers must love them!

Old 04-13-2008, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairierose View Post
Thank you all very much for the information. I have experienced one incredible thunderstorm while driving near Mobridge several years ago, but have not been in a severe hailstorm. Have only seen the aftermath. The roofers must love them!
You betcha! Tons of homes in Rapid City needed roof repair after that storm. There were also several paintless dent repair tents set up in parking lots of Safeway, WalMart, and other businesses in town! Thank God I was out of town for that hailstorm my neighbors cars' were all dinged up pretty bad! I lucked out! Pheew!

Old 04-13-2008, 10:09 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
The 18 years I spent growing up there I remember twice that it damaged my dad's pickup truck enough to have to get fixed. It was a 65 chevy that was brand new. The next time it was a 72 pickup and he'd only had it a couple months. The one in 65 also damaged the shingles on our house. The one in 72 didn't.

But we'd have hail storms a couple times each year. Usually marble size or smaller.

by the way. Do you know how to get hail dents out? Buy some dry ice on a hot day. Bust it up and put a marble sized chunk in the dent. It would pop and shoot that ice up 30 ft in the air. Didn't work on chrome or window edge trimming but certainly worked on the hood, roof and trunk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City