Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 04:13 PM

463 posts, read 1,292,245 times

Advertisements

We have been to Rapid twice now....We really liked the Firehouse and we also enjoyed Tally's for lunch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2008, 06:46 PM

17 posts, read 65,435 times
Just avoid North Rapid. Anything north of the railroad tracks. My in-laws live in Woodland Hills. Black Hawk area about 5-10 minutes from Rapid. Pricey, but woody.

Thanks for the heads-up on North Rapid. I also just took a look at Black Hawk on Google Earth and I really liked the Northwestern side of the area. Ridgeview and Woodland Drives look sweet. In general what are the property taxes like there?

We really liked the Firehouse and we also enjoyed Tally's for lunch.

How was the food, service, and most importantly the beer at Firehouse? I will definitely go there.
http://www.firehousebrewing.com/about_us/firehouse.jpg (broken link)

Tally's has my favorite breakfast, Giant blueberry pancakes!
Thanks for the info cburkart and scubashawn68. I'm really liking RC. I'll be there in just a few short weeks.

Old 04-14-2008, 06:55 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,439,639 times
The property tax rate for Black Hawk is $21.55. Our state does have a fairly high tax rate for property. Just remember that we have no state income tax, no personal property tax, cheap license plates, cheap insurance, etc.

Whitewater, I like the pic of the fire station.

Last edited by Jammie; 04-14-2008 at 09:12 PM..

Old 04-14-2008, 07:05 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,714,004 times
Black Hawk, Summerset, Piedmont, and Piedmont Valley are all in Meade County so property taxes are not nearly as high as what they are in Pennington County or Rapid City. It only takes about 10 minutes to drive into Rapid City if you live out there and yes, it is a very beautiful area. You get a lot for the money out there.

That's why they're building like crazy!

Old 04-14-2008, 07:11 PM

Thanks Jamie, do you know what the homeowners exemption is?

Old 04-14-2008, 07:15 PM

You know Danny, I haven't even looked into where the county lines are. I'll take another look at the map. Very helpful and useful information. Thanks to both of you.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:11 PM

I don't if ours is actually classified as a homeowner's exemption, but the actual taxes that we pay are about 2/3 of the full price.

Danny, I checked the tax rate for RC and it shows that it's 17.30. Is it possibly that the evaluations are just much higher in Rapid City then in the smaller towns?

Old 04-14-2008, 10:29 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,714,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Danny, I checked the tax rate for RC and it shows that it's 17.30. Is it possibly that the evaluations are just much higher in Rapid City then in the smaller towns?
Hmm... most people that I know that live out of Rapid City say they do it due to the extreme property taxes in Rapid City. Maybe you're right about the evalutaions in smaller towns. I'm pretty sure that Rapid City is higher... odd.

Old 04-14-2008, 11:06 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
I don't if ours is actually classified as a homeowner's exemption, but the actual taxes that we pay are about 2/3 of the full price.

That baffles me Jammie. If you, as a home owner only pay about 2/3 of the full price. Who would pay full price? A renter doesn't pay anything, only the home owner.

Now I know years ago, my dad got a tax break for being the original owner. They did that to promote growth and expansion. But i'm clueless as to how they do it now. Been out of touch for two long. And the land I own down in Miller is strictly agriculture. No buildings left on it. So it's different.

Old 04-14-2008, 11:13 PM

EH, I wish I could tell you exactly how it works. The renter doesn't pay the other third. It just doesn't get paid.

When Gov. Janklow was in office he gave us a tax break. If your full tax bill would've been 300 in the past, after the law was passed, you'd only pay 200. I don't really know how they figure it though and of course, no one's tax bill is only 200 anymore.

It's been several years ago that it took affect so a lot of people don't even realize we get a tax break compared to years ago.

About ag-land~I was curious about the tax changes this year. Did they actually change the way it will be taxed? I know the legislature was working on taxing it according to production versus taxing it on value. Did that go through and if so, will it be better for us?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City