Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2020, 11:59 AM

112 posts, read 151,460 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the pointers. You're right, I can't recall ever hearing the term Equalization office. I won't be flying out at this stage for tax information but when we come out in March, we'll make sure a realtor has the information. I've always believed it's difficult to justify a major expense when the taxes due every year eats up all the appreciation and then some. Notwithstanding clean highways and excellent schools.

As an aside, I'm coming from a perspective where landowners are considered homesteaders and get tax breaks. Also, where preserving farm land and natural, open spaces and NOT contributing to unzoned sub-urban sprawl where ticky tack strip malls and sub-divisions dot the landscape, affords the owner a tax break. So from that standpoint, I am looking for open land where the tax rate still makes the purchase a financially sound decision. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2020, 04:29 PM

3,786 posts, read 5,327,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowFamilyRedWhite&Blu View Post
As an aside, I'm coming from a perspective where landowners are considered homesteaders and get tax breaks. Also, where preserving farm land and natural, open spaces and NOT contributing to unzoned sub-urban sprawl where ticky tack strip malls and sub-divisions dot the landscape, affords the owner a tax break. So from that standpoint, I am looking for open land where the tax rate still makes the purchase a financially sound decision. Thanks.
I don't know about South Dakota, but in Minnesota there is a homestead credit that reduces one's property tax on your primary residence. Even in the Twin Cities, one can get the homestead credit. The credit gets smaller the closer you get to a certain price level, but I don't recall what that is.

https://www.revenue.state.mn.us/home...-credit-refund

It looks like South Dakota has something similar.
https://statelaws.findlaw.com/south-...tead-laws.html

Old 02-12-2020, 09:55 AM

Thank for posting, Teak. Very informative!

Old 07-23-2020, 01:15 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,371,609 times
To the OP, I know it has been several months since you posted here but was wondering if you ended up making the move to SD or were the plans changed or postponed due to COVID? I’m also curious if you ever considered a place like Duluth, MN? It has the pretty landscape you seem to be looking for and smaller town feel yet would be more progressive and probably more accepting than a city like Rapid City. Just a thought.

Old 07-24-2020, 08:24 PM

Hello Cruz Azul Guy and thanks for the follow-up.

My kids are sick of hearing me say "You can have ANYTHING you want in this world as long as you're willing to work for it; you just can't have EVERYTHING." How great would that be! To live on the shores of America's "Inland Ocean." I bet there's great boating and sailing, both of which I love and neither of which is in great supply in Rapid City.

Unfortunately, there aren't enough months in the year to live in all the great locations in America. So we're blessed with having choice as to where we select but making such a choice means narrowing down and eliminating other alternatives. Rapid City continues to win out because of how it places in a number of essential categories. Truthfully, when I say Rapid City, I mean the greater area including not just the Black Hills, but even over the state line into WY. Yes, it's truly special. We have a reason to be somewhat close to Jackson and the allure of Yellowstone (close is a stretch but it can be done in 1 hour, 15 min flight time or a days drive.)

As you noticed I don't post regularly because I don't want to blab on and bore everyone to death. There have been more than a few posters who have been very generous with their time and suggestions and it has been extremely helpful and illuminating.

We've been riding out the Pandemic out on the far east end of Long Island. Very rural and village-like. Come into the city regularly though to help some of our elderly friends and neighbors who otherwise are pretty much alone, living solitary lives imprisoned in apartments that in some cases, would probably shock you as to how small they are. We have no doubt seen a whole other side to this Pandemic than the folks out in Western SD. 20,000+ deaths in my city, mass graves, temporary tent hospitals, refrigerated trucks as make-shift morgues and .... NEVER venturing out without a mask. It's been this way day in and day out since March 13th.

Funny that a few extra months and we could have been out there and avoided this. We are still coming, probably in the fall. The kids will STILL not be in school come September, more home schooling... fortunately hubby is a former teacher, lawyer and a judge so we are coping with the scholastics. Through it all, the kids are still excited about making the move... now, time will tell. We see some amazing properties and incredible homes on websites like Trulia and Zillow. 10 acres or 100 acres, it's room to breathe after Manhattan!

Why of all places, did you suggest Duluth? Is that where you are? Or where you're from?

Last edited by RainbowFamilyRedWhite&Blu; 07-24-2020 at 08:27 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-25-2020, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Hello Cruz Azul Guy and thanks for the follow-up.

My kids are sick of hearing me say "You can have ANYTHING you want in this world as long as you're willing to work for it; you just can't have EVERYTHING." How great would that be! To live on the shores of America's "Inland Ocean." I bet there's great boating and sailing, both of which I love and neither of which is in great supply in Rapid City.

Unfortunately, there aren't enough months in the year to live in all the great locations in America. So we're blessed with having choice as to where we select but making such a choice means narrowing down and eliminating other alternatives. Rapid City continues to win out because of how it places in a number of essential categories. Truthfully, when I say Rapid City, I mean the greater area including not just the Black Hills, but even over the state line into WY. Yes, it's truly special. We have a reason to be somewhat close to Jackson and the allure of Yellowstone (close is a stretch but it can be done in 1 hour, 15 min flight time or a days drive.)

As you noticed I don't post regularly because I don't want to blab on and bore everyone to death. There have been more than a few posters who have been very generous with their time and suggestions and it has been extremely helpful and illuminating.

We've been riding out the Pandemic out on the far east end of Long Island. Very rural and village-like. Come into the city regularly though to help some of our elderly friends and neighbors who otherwise are pretty much alone, living solitary lives imprisoned in apartments that in some cases, would probably shock you as to how small they are. We have no doubt seen a whole other side to this Pandemic than the folks out in Western SD. 20,000+ deaths in my city, mass graves, temporary tent hospitals, refrigerated trucks as make-shift morgues and .... NEVER venturing out without a mask. It's been this way day in and day out since March 13th.

Funny that a few extra months and we could have been out there and avoided this. We are still coming, probably in the fall. The kids will STILL not be in school come September, more home schooling... fortunately hubby is a former teacher, lawyer and a judge so we are coping with the scholastics. Through it all, the kids are still excited about making the move... now, time will tell. We see some amazing properties and incredible homes on websites like Trulia and Zillow. 10 acres or 100 acres, it's room to breathe after Manhattan!

Why of all places, did you suggest Duluth? Is that where you are? Or where you're from?
In reading through the thread, Duluth sprung to mind due to the following:
1) Duluth is a fairly progressive city and would likely be accepting to Rainbow families.
2) Duluth has low crime (lower than Rapid City per the City Data website)
3) Duluth is built on a hillside and is surrounded by hills (as I believe you mentioned that a city like Omaha was too flat). There are a couple ski resorts nearby which take advantage of this (Lutsen and Spirit Mountain).
4) Downtown Duluth and the Canal Park area provide pretty good walkability.
5) It has a college town vibe due to being home to several universities which would probably provide a good talent pool for tech start-ups.
6) You mentioned not minding cold weather, which in my opinion is really Duluth’s largest disadvantage.
7) Although not on the same level as the National Parks near Rapid City, you’d be close to the Boundary Waters Canoeing Area and several State Parks like Jay Cooke, Split Rock Lighthouse, Gooseberry Falls, etc.

Duluth just struck me as a place that seemed to check a lot of your boxes. I live in Minneapolis but we make it a point to go up to Duluth at least once a year to take in the beauty. It’s a place where I wouldn’t mind living from Memorial Day to Labor Day each year as that is when the weather is most favorable.

It sounds like you made up your mind and that’s ok. Just be sure to come visit Minnesota when you get the chance!

Last edited by Cruz Azul Guy; 07-25-2020 at 12:40 AM..

Old 07-25-2020, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
1) Duluth is a fairly progressive city and would likely be accepting to Rainbow families.
3) Duluth is built on a hillside and is surrounded by hills (as I believe you mentioned that a city like Omaha was too flat). There are a couple ski resorts nearby which take advantage of this (Lutsen and Spirit Mountain).
5) It has a college town vibe due to being home to several universities which would probably provide a good talent pool for tech start-ups.
6) You mentioned not minding cold weather, which in my opinion is really Duluth’s largest disadvantage.
7) Although not on the same level as the National Parks near Rapid City, you’d be close to the Boundary Waters Canoeing Area and several State Parks like Jay Cooke, Split Rock Lighthouse, Gooseberry Falls, etc.

Duluth just struck me as a place that seemed to check a lot of your boxes. I live in Minneapolis but we make it a point to go up to Duluth at least once a year to take in the beauty. It’s a place where I wouldn’t mind living from Memorial Day to Labor Day each year as that is when the weather is most favorable.

It sounds like you made up your mind and that’s ok. Just be sure to come visit Minnesota when you get the chance!
VERY INTERESTING!!!
Love hearing about the features around Duluth and your presentation is very persuasive. In a spare moment, I found a 12,000 acre piece of land north of the city. One of the biggest parcels I've seen anywhere.

Hope Minneapolis is on the rebound. Glad it hasn't suffered the same fate as Portland with rioting and violence day in and day out for what... 59 nights in a row and counting. Shameful and I hope no one you know has had their business and life's work destroyed in the process. I've been to Minneapolis a number of times and always enjoyed myself. Beautiful city!

Thanks again for the suggestion and very thorough post!

Old 07-25-2020, 11:01 AM

Quote:
VERY INTERESTING!!!
Love hearing about the features around Duluth and your presentation is very persuasive. In a spare moment, I found a 12,000 acre piece of land north of the city. One of the biggest parcels I've seen anywhere.

Hope Minneapolis is on the rebound. Glad it hasn't suffered the same fate as Portland with rioting and violence day in and day out for what... 59 nights in a row and counting. Shameful and I hope no one you know has had their business and life's work destroyed in the process. I've been to Minneapolis a number of times and always enjoyed myself. Beautiful city!

Thanks again for the suggestion and very thorough post!
I appreciate the kind words. We hit a rough patch here but I’m confident we can recover from this. I wish you and your family the best for whatever decision you end up making.

Old 12-23-2020, 05:31 PM

5,121 posts, read 4,969,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post

You could another 77+ attractions to lure OP to Daluth...but OP won't be lured, because duluth doesn't offer the tax shelter that OP is looking for....

https://www.city-data.com/forum/rapi...why-super.html

As a visitor, I like RC better. The city is definitely walk-able, only IF you don't mind walking the same few blocks over and again...

Old 03-13-2021, 06:38 AM

249 posts, read 242,075 times
I am not sure where the dividing line is but, yes, they get a little more rain and snow to the north of Hot Springs and it is a little drier to the south. I now live south of Hot Springs and have found that one needs to irrigate to grow a vegetable garden. Fwiw, when I lived in Hot Springs I did a lot of watering also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City