Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 07:29 PM

393 posts, read 1,069,647 times

Advertisements

Was anybody here around when this supposedly happened? I saw an article in a magazine that there was a rash of UFO sightings over Ellsworth in June, 1966 and reports that they even interfered with missile silos.

I'd never heard of that before. Are there a lot of sightings of UFO's in South Dakota?

Old 08-12-2008, 07:46 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,716,248 times
Here goes: My grandmother told me a story about how she was chased by a UFO on a highway in Northern Nebraska. She said she had two of her kids with her and they drove over 20 miles and never encountered another car the entire time. The UFO rode alongside them and then once they reached their house it shot off in the distance and there were two owls on top of there house.

No, she wasn't senile... Maybe just "out there"...

Old 08-12-2008, 08:37 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,409,950 times
hmmm Interesting! Did she say what the UFO looked like?

And don't worry, she sounds like my grandma...

Old 08-12-2008, 09:32 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times
There were a lot of UFO sightings in So. Dak. back in the 1960s. 1966 would be close to the year that a group of my friends claimed that they saw a UFO and it chased them. It was quite a large group and most of them were pretty honest and I believe that something did chase them. That would've been in the southeastern part of the state.

Do you have a link to the news story or didn't you read it online?

Old 08-13-2008, 12:18 AM

3,941 posts, read 14,716,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1986 View Post
hmmm Interesting! Did she say what the UFO looked like?

And don't worry, she sounds like my grandma...
Haha! Thanks! I swear she was totally sane!
She said it was triangular and it just hovered next to them on the highway and when they would speed up, it would speed up. They were driving between O'Neil and Spencer, Nebraska. Must have been the late 60s or early 70s.

Old 08-13-2008, 07:45 AM

393 posts, read 1,069,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
There were a lot of UFO sightings in So. Dak. back in the 1960s. 1966 would be close to the year that a group of my friends claimed that they saw a UFO and it chased them. It was quite a large group and most of them were pretty honest and I believe that something did chase them. That would've been in the southeastern part of the state.

Do you have a link to the news story or didn't you read it online?
Actually, I was in a "Books-a-million" store waiting on my wife to finish shopping in a clothing store. I was bored looking at various magazines and saw something about South Dakota so I read it. I think it was UFO Magazine. A quick search of "Ellsworth, 1966, UFO" on google will turn up several articles that match what was in the story. Supposedly, there were planes dispatched to intercept it and on other occasions, there were reports of craft actually landing on top of missile silos... I don't know how much I believe but it was an interesting story anyway. I tend to read anything about South Dakota if I run across it.

Old 08-13-2008, 07:50 PM

733 posts, read 4,654,352 times
There was a "flap" across a good part of SD when I was in 6th grade or so - around '66 or so. I specifically recall a summer evening when several of us "bike hiked" out along the relatively new channelized, diked, and straightened Sioux River on the west side of town. There was a SFSD PD officer sitting out on W. 12th Streeet - edge of town, 2 lanes, U.S. 16, in those days - and several of us biked out and visited with him. He had a pair of binoculars and was "on alert" looking for UFOs. My wife was a kid in MN in those days and remembers seeing unexplained glowing lights in the western sky...usually in the early morning or near sundown...they'd hover, come closer, then zip off to the north. From time to time I recollect great big things...maybe military air transports?...heading from south to north way out on the western horizon. IT was an odd summer, to say the least. Seems there were write ups on flying saucers in the paper as well...but I might be making that up.

Interesting stuff, nonetheless.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:36 PM

1 posts, read 4,310 times
Default 1966 Sighting

I don't know what sighting you were referring to, since all I saw was your reply.

I was at a Minuteman missile LCF, Golf 1. My strike team was sent to backup the strike team responding to, I believe, Hotel 3. My partner and I, and the Hotel strike team all spotted the object over the site. We were several miles away on a high ridge, when we saw the site with the object over it. I will never forget what occurred in the several minutes after the initial confusion.

Old 12-23-2008, 07:26 AM

1,582 posts, read 3,109,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSSJD View Post
I don't know what sighting you were referring to, since all I saw was your reply.

I was at a Minuteman missile LCF, Golf 1. My strike team was sent to backup the strike team responding to, I believe, Hotel 3. My partner and I, and the Hotel strike team all spotted the object over the site. We were several miles away on a high ridge, when we saw the site with the object over it. I will never forget what occurred in the several minutes after the initial confusion.
Was this in '66? My dad was a worked on the Minuteman missiles '70-78.

Old 12-23-2008, 11:09 AM

56 posts, read 151,164 times
I get the Rapid City Chamber mailings, and it included information about something related.
If anyone's interested, there's a Lunch-N-Learn session about 'UFOs and Nukes' coming up in a few weeks in Rapid City. According to a handout, you can come hear Robert Hastings, author of "UFOs and Nukes: Extraordinary Encounters at Nuclear Weapons Sites" discuss his UFO research.

The handout says Mr. Hastings has spent 35 years investigating UFO incursions at nuclear sites.
The session is Jan . 22 at the Surbeck Center on the SD School of Mines campus in Rapid City.

The presentation and Q&A are noon-1 p.m. and it costs $15 a person. Pre-registration is required here (http://sdmines/sdsmt.edu/learn - broken link), or call 605-394-2693.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City