Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 05:22 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times

Advertisements

Midwestern. It's also called West River. Our state is divided by the Missouri and it's East River and West River. It's also called the Hills area. We're also one of the Plains states.

There might be people from other places who have more names for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 08:10 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,716,248 times
Rapid City's kind of on the dividing line that separates the West and the Midwest. Western South Dakota is similar to Colorado and Eastern South Dakota is similar to Minnesota. West River weather and East River weather is totally different too. West River has dry hot summers and dry cool winters while East River has humid summers and wet cold winters. Western South Dakota is has hills and mountains and Eastern South Dakota is mostly flat. More people live East River and there are a lot more job opportunites there too. Sioux Falls has 150,000 people and Rapid City has 80,000 people.

Rapid City has a higher crime rate, but it's usually domestic crime and I've never heard of a random assault or murder.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:16 PM

464 posts, read 1,355,711 times
We have the airforce base here, too. Therefore we vote for who supports the war, who supports benefits for the military, who won't close our base, etc, etc.
(although I DIDNT VOTE FOR BUSH!!!!)

Old 09-08-2008, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashnat View Post
We have the airforce base here, too. Therefore we vote for who supports the war, who supports benefits for the military, who won't close our base, etc, etc.
(although I DIDNT VOTE FOR BUSH!!!!)
Ashnat I do agree with you about Ellsworth AFB. I'm one of the few people that think it should have been closed down. Sure, the Ellsworth brings a lot of money into the Black Hills region and employs a lot of people, but what people don't see is that Rapid City pours more money into the Ellsworth than it gets back. Also, it is hindering other large industries from moving into the area and creating more good-paying jobs for people around the Black Hills.

Old 09-08-2008, 09:28 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,409,950 times
Pikie, it sounds like Rapid City would be a good fit for you... Let us know what happens!

Old 09-08-2008, 09:29 PM

464 posts, read 1,355,711 times
Oh, no, I didn't want it closed down. I never said that.
I wanted it to remain open. Had it closed, tons of homes would have been for sale making it harder to sell and harder to get your moneys worth out of it.
I also didn't want a ton of jobs open at once. We never would have got the new mall had the base closed. Think of the number of people that would have left the community.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashnat View Post
Oh, no, I didn't want it closed down. I never said that.
I wanted it to remain open. Had it closed, tons of homes would have been for sale making it harder to sell and harder to get your moneys worth out of it.
I also didn't want a ton of jobs open at once. We never would have got the new mall had the base closed. Think of the number of people that would have left the community.
Sure, a large number of people would have left the community, but businesses would have been given aide grants and then larger, better-paying businesses would have moved in too. Would you rather have a mall that pays minimum wage or an actual industy that pays salaries and benefits?

FedEx was looking at Ellsworth AFB as a hub for it's shipping planes. Also, an oil refinery was a possibility. That would have created some great jobs and even lowered the cost of fuel. Rapid City has 80,000 people and Ellsworth employs about 6,000 people tops. That's barely a dent.

Old 09-10-2008, 12:19 AM

88 posts, read 357,671 times
I was once driving through that state on my way from Seattle to Chicago and a hillbilly cop was convinced I was a drug smuggler since I had Oregon plates on my expensive car. I think that hick getting jealous of me was enough to convince us "east" and "west" coasters to keep our money out of your boring state.

Old 09-10-2008, 05:53 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brinegar312 View Post
I was once driving through that state on my way from Seattle to Chicago and a hillbilly cop was convinced I was a drug smuggler since I had Oregon plates on my expensive car. I think that hick getting jealous of me was enough to convince us "east" and "west" coasters to keep our money out of your boring state.
Not a problem. We're proud of the work our law enforcement does. They catch many drug smugglers who have left the West Coast and are passing through. Their job is to fight crime and keep us safe and that's exactly what they do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City