Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 09:05 AM

393 posts, read 1,069,201 times

Advertisements

Has anyone seen the story in today's RCJ? Sounds like this poor kid really got hurt. It's so sad.

I hope he will not be permanently paralyzed.
Rapid City teen paralyzed after incident while walking home from school » RapidCityJournal.com (http://www.rapidcityjournal.com/articles/2008/09/13/news/top/doc48cad507c3d87467185998.txt - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2008, 09:17 AM

19,723 posts, read 10,491,884 times
thank you, for posting the link. i read the article, and it leaves me without words.
My prayers, for Cody.....

Old 09-13-2008, 09:38 AM

3,941 posts, read 14,710,152 times
Oh that's terrible. You just never know when your life is going to change. It makes you realize how lucky you are. Sure, I rough-housed a lot when I was little but fortunately no one got anymore than a few bumps and bruises. My thoughts and prayers for Cody's family.

Old 09-13-2008, 09:40 AM

1,961 posts, read 6,921,312 times
I have read the article and wish the best for Cody. It is sickening to see the hurt happen to a person who had love and care in his heart.

Old 09-13-2008, 01:55 PM

267 posts, read 897,915 times
I read the article in the RCJ online yesterday. That is so sad to hear about. I hope that his injuries will heal, it must be horrible for his family to have to deal with this.

Old 09-13-2008, 02:48 PM

415 posts, read 972,272 times
Ok call me the jerk of the Group here but I hope they catch the guy and Cody gets Justice, yeah I know fat chance on the justice part but I can always wish.

What really makes me sick is have any of you ever checked out Youtube, My gawd there are hundreds of little Cell phone video's of kids fighting after school or what have. And some of these fights are just terrible, I viewed a couple just out of curiosity and was appalled at some of them. I mean these kids don't quit when the other kid falls to the ground, they just keep pounding and kicking or whatever. Yeah we had skirmishes when I went to school but damn once the guy/girl went down, that was it, you were the winner and things went back to normal, these guys are just mean angry hateful jerk offs. And most of it I blame on the parents who are too damn lazy to knock some respectful sense into their kids. Of course most parents now a days don't know how to be parents to begin with and are either just too lazy to discipline their kids or just don't care, or are too afraid to discipline their kids for fear of a Child Abuse charge coming from the Child Welfare department. Parents can't discipline their kids anymore for fear of being prosecuted or they are just too busy working the 12 jobs to make ends meet criteria. Turning into a sad sad world out there.

Old 09-13-2008, 09:24 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,407,522 times
BH, thank you for posting this story. I was shocked when I read it. Cody will be in my prayers tonight.

SDHomesteader, I agree somewhat. And I hope they catch that guy too!
The technology is good, but its taking its toll on our youth. I'm only 22, but growing up... I didn't have cable TV til I was in junior high... Cell phones were unheard of, until I was about 15 years old... I used the old Apple computers in elementary school...

The Internet is awesome, but it's brought a lot of bad things as well.

Old 09-13-2008, 09:59 PM

267 posts, read 897,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1986 View Post
BH, thank you for posting this story. I was shocked when I read it. Cody will be in my prayers tonight.

SDHomesteader, I agree somewhat. And I hope they catch that guy too!
The technology is good, but its taking its toll on our youth. I'm only 22, but growing up... I didn't have cable TV til I was in junior high... Cell phones were unheard of, until I was about 15 years old... I used the old Apple computers in elementary school...

The Internet is awesome, but it's brought a lot of bad things as well.
Media options have changed a lot in the last several years. People now say that the violent games don't cause violence in kids. Well, maybe not, but when I was a kid, and we were playing the game on the ATARI where you pop the square circus balloons with your square stick figure circus guy, there wasn't much to even consider being a poor influence.

And, like you, we didn't have cable until later. In high school, our big things were pagers - which meant you still had to go to a payphone or someone's house to page someone with a number or message.

We used Commodore's when I was in Elementary school, how old does that make me!

I hope that someone comes forward with information. I know kids run when they get scared, but hopefully someone who saw something will have a turn of conscious, and report what they know

Old 09-14-2008, 08:30 PM

415 posts, read 972,272 times
Awwww heck now ya guys are making me feel old, we used Apple IIC's when I was in Jr High, I remember the Graphics on that thing and do the graphics programs. Everything had line numbers
10 GR to put it in Graphics mode
20 Color Code
30 Line or dot code LOL
Etc..... OMG that stuff was archaic compared to now a days LOL.

I've gotten my kid some Video Games in the past couple weeks, The little hand held Arcade games they sell at wal mart for like 20 bucks, they plug directly into the front AV jacks and have 4-5 older arcade games on them, Pac Man, Ms Pac Man, Galaga Etc... I wasn't really gonna get him any to begin with as he is very active outside kid but I wanted to get him some stuff to help with his hand eye coordination and this is helping a bit. He's only 9, He watches me play World Of Warcraft online on occasion and by gawd if he hasn't got much of the NPC Lines memorized (non player character, ie...Quest givers and such) and he has started to emulate things in the game now too. Now World of Warcraft isn't exactly Pac Man LOL, Theres Killing and gore and bones and such. So now I have taken to playing it while he is at school or in bed. So taking that into note, I don't believe a damn thing when they say these video games aren't a bad influence on kids. Kids see it, think its Kewl and try to do it too. Simple as that.

Old 09-15-2008, 06:01 AM

230 posts, read 626,246 times
It's things like these that really make you stop for a minute and realize how fragile life truly is. I don't think I have made mention of it here, but I was away from this forum for a while towards the end of May. My brother who had just turned 40 was killed in a boating accident.

I still can't really comprehend not having my brother around, but he's not. I lost my only brother and my son lost his Uncle and Godfather he never got a chance to really know.

Ever since then I have been putting thought to just how easy it would be to have something go wrong. Car accident, a bad fall, or some other freak accident. I look at things completely differently these days and make sure to take the time to stop and say how I feel to the people that matter most to me.

My son, who is almost two, might not always do things right when he gets older. He may not always make the correct decisions. He might take some time to figure things out for himself. Then again, he may be all I hope he will be. Anyway around, when he looks back at his family, HE WILL KNOW HE WAS LOVED.

It's sounds like Cody's situation is an unfortunate one, but it sounds like he comes from a loving family that will help him get through this difficult time in his life.
God bless Cody and his family !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City