Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 11:12 PM

31 posts, read 108,847 times

Advertisements

My oldest child will be starting kindergarten next Fall and I am doing some research on schools. I had heard and believed that the Hill City school district was a good one, but I look at the data here on this site and they look dismal! By contrast, Grandview elementry, which also has a good word of mouth rep scored very respectably. We are currently in the Robbinsdale school district but don't intend to have our child attend. We have land in Hill City and had intended on building and having our children go there. Now I am not so certain! Can any of you shed any light on my dilemma?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 11:34 PM

3,940 posts, read 14,668,744 times
A lot of my friends went to Grandview and it's known as a good school. I live on the southside so that is where pretty much all the kids around here go and this is a really good part of Rapid City. The only schools in town that I hear bad things about are Valley View and Horace Mann. I wouldn't know much about Hill City schools but I knew kids from up there back in high school and I thought they were all kind of weird. It seemed like there was a lot of teen pregnancy up there.

Old 10-15-2008, 01:03 PM

464 posts, read 1,351,228 times
Just to expand. I think the "bad" things about Valley View were when it was in the old building. It's in a 3 year old building now and has improved a ton. (of course the building isn't doing the teaching, but a lot has changed at that school. No my kids don't go there, they go to Rapid Valley Elem)

Old 10-15-2008, 07:28 PM

My boss' wife is a 1st grade teacher at Valley View. They are the largest elementary school in Rapid City and a lot of the reason that it gets a bad reputation is because many of the Northside kids are bused out there. A lot of these kids come from broken homes and have very sad backgrounds. I know my boss' wife said last year was a living hell for her and she had to see a psychiatrist.

I wonder if a lot of those kids will go to General Beadle now that it is finished with construction.

Old 10-15-2008, 07:39 PM

Are you sure? I check the rcas website all the time and check attendance at Valley View and Rapid Valley to compare. Valley View has less in attendance than RV, last I checked. WHY in the world would kids from the north side be bussed clear to the Valley? That doesn't make any sense.

Old 10-15-2008, 07:43 PM

Why in the world wouldn't they just go to Knollwood Elem just down the road from there?

2006 Student Enrollment: 494
Valley View

Kindergarten Enrollment : 86
1st Grade Enrollment : 92
2nd Grade Enrollment : 89
3rd Grade Enrollment : 83
4th Grade Enrollment : 73
5th Grade Enrollment : 71

2006 Student Enrollment: 517
Rapid Valley

Kindergarten Enrollment : 73
1st Grade Enrollment : 92
2nd Grade Enrollment : 94
3rd Grade Enrollment : 95
4th Grade Enrollment : 82
5th Grade Enrollment : 81

I know this is old, but I can't get rcas to load right now.

Old 10-15-2008, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashnat View Post
Are you sure? I check the rcas website all the time and check attendance at Valley View and Rapid Valley to compare. Valley View has less in attendance than RV, last I checked. WHY in the world would kids from the north side be bussed clear to the Valley? That doesn't make any sense.
If you remember, General Beadle was being remodeled last year so all of the kids that usually went there were bused to Valley View because the school was so new and had extra room. Therefore, Valley View became Rapid City's largest elementary school because of the extra kids that were being bused in from the General Beadle area. As of 2006 Valley View had 494 students and Rapid Valley had 517, a margin of only 23 students. With the added kids from General Beadle it well passed 23 extra kids.

You even admitted yourself that your data was outdated from 2006. It's been a while since then. Please check your facts before you post them.

Old 02-01-2009, 12:18 AM

5 posts, read 15,176 times
Unhappy Bad reputation/North side kids...EXCUUUUUUSE ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
My boss' wife is a 1st grade teacher at Valley View. They are the largest elementary school in Rapid City and a lot of the reason that it gets a bad reputation is because many of the Northside kids are bused out there. A lot of these kids come from broken homes and have very sad backgrounds. I know my boss' wife said last year was a living hell for her and she had to see a psychiatrist.

I wonder if a lot of those kids will go to General Beadle now that it is finished with construction.
Sorry that she had a bad year,but you don't blame the kids for her not being able to handle the dynamics of children who have very different live style and home life. Do you realize how hard it can be on a child to have at least a 30 min. ride just to get to school and another 30 min drive just to get back home??!! Some of these kids didn't have and still don't have a choice of where they can go to school.

Old 02-01-2009, 07:41 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,328,324 times
30 minutes??? Wow, things have changed. I went to country school which was close to a two mile walk to and from school. For high school, my bus ride was an hour and 10 minutes each way. Things do get easier throughout time, don't they?

Old 02-01-2009, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sioux-zq View Post
Sorry that she had a bad year,but you don't blame the kids for her not being able to handle the dynamics of children who have very different live style and home life. Do you realize how hard it can be on a child to have at least a 30 min. ride just to get to school and another 30 min drive just to get back home??!! Some of these kids didn't have and still don't have a choice of where they can go to school.
Uh... I said that's in part why Valley View had a bad reputation. Did I say that I thought it was a bad school? My boss' wife is a first grade teacher out there and she had a really hard time with last years class because either the kids wouldn't show up for school and a liaison had to go to their house and tell their parents that they HAD to go to school, or a kid would show up with signs of abuse and neglect, or a kid would show up in shorts and a tee shirt in the middle of December.

I don't think she blamed the kids. She blamed the neglectful parents.

And it doesn't take 30 minutes to get to Valley View from the Northside. It's one exit away on the Interstate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City