U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-17-2008, 08:55 AM

679 posts, read 1,852,233 times
Default Best route to Rapid City from Denver

Hi all,

I'm planning a trip for next summer and I was wondering what would be the best route from downtown Denver to Rapid City? It doesn't seem like there is a direct route connecting the 2 cities so I was curious if people who make the trip frequently know some good routes to take?

Specifically, we are going to be staying at a hotel near I-90 and Elk Vale Rd. Also - is that a convenient area to stay to visit Mount Rushmore and other Black Hill attractions?

Thanks for the help!
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 11:45 AM

52 posts, read 115,029 times
The route I've taken from Denver in the past has been:

1. I-25 north from Denver
2. Take Hwy. 85 just north of Cheyenne. This will take you through Torrington, Lusk, and Newcastle.
3. At Newcastle, go east on Hwy.16 to Custer
4. At Custer, take 16(go north) through Hill City and continue on 16 into Rapid City.

Please note that my family is originally from the Hill City area, so I prefer that route. I don't think there's a faster route though.

If you're wanting to do things in the Hills, I'd suggest Keystone as a central spot versus Rapid City. It's not a significant savings regarding the number of miles you'll drive, but it will make it easier to get to where you want to go in the Hills. It all depends on whether you want more restaurants to choose from vs. camping out/grilling on your own.

Hope that helps!

Old 10-17-2008, 12:24 PM

955 posts, read 2,383,557 times
We always took I25 up through Ft. Collins into Wyoming - then 18 up through and into SD - through Hot Springs then 79 to Rapid...

Old 10-17-2008, 04:46 PM

18,610 posts, read 14,204,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusySocialWorker View Post
We always took I25 up through Ft. Collins into Wyoming - then 18 up through and into SD - through Hot Springs then 79 to Rapid...
That is the route I would suggest. If you want to venture through the hills the route Txchief suggest would be good. Its would be a matter of time and preference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txchief View Post
The route I've taken from Denver in the past has been:

1. I-25 north from Denver
2. Take Hwy. 85 just north of Cheyenne. This will take you through Torrington, Lusk, and Newcastle.
3. At Newcastle, go east on Hwy.16 to Custer
4. At Custer, take 16(go north) through Hill City and continue on 16 into Rapid City.

Please note that my family is originally from the Hill City area, so I prefer that route. I don't think there's a faster route though.

If you're wanting to do things in the Hills, I'd suggest Keystone as a central spot versus Rapid City. It's not a significant savings regarding the number of miles you'll drive, but it will make it easier to get to where you want to go in the Hills. It all depends on whether you want more restaurants to choose from vs. camping out/grilling on your own.

Hope that helps!

Old 10-19-2008, 11:32 PM

3,940 posts, read 9,544,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusySocialWorker View Post
This is the way I always go. Going through Torrington makes you backtrack a little bit and there are a lot of cops around Torrington and Lusk. Be careful at the WY border too just outside of Cheyenne. They'll pull you over for ANYTHING!

Old 10-20-2008, 02:41 PM

172 posts, read 131,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
This is the way I always go. Going through Torrington makes you backtrack a little bit and there are a lot of cops around Torrington and Lusk. Be careful at the WY border too just outside of Cheyenne. They'll pull you over for ANYTHING!
A heads up here about the police in Torrington & Lusk.
Especially the Highway Patrol. They now have a skinny light bar inside the vehicle up against the windshield. Can Not be seen when approaching until it is too late!

Old 10-21-2008, 12:39 PM

52 posts, read 115,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdgoldpanner View Post
A heads up here about the police in Torrington & Lusk.
Especially the Highway Patrol. They now have a skinny light bar inside the vehicle up against the windshield. Can Not be seen when approaching until it is too late!
A good radar detector would solve that issue. ;-)

Old 10-23-2008, 08:58 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,369,694 times
I have gone the Hot Springs way a couple times when going from Rapid to Colorado: probably the most direct route. On a side note, I went to Las Vegas, going through Rapid City, last June and took SD 79 down to Hot Springs and took 18 to I-25 near Douglas, WY. SD 79 was a nice road and is nice to set the cruise and coast down the road. Between Edgemont and Lusk, it seems like it takes forever and seems barren (to one who is used to having a town every six or so miles with having at least five to ten homes on one square mile in the country), but there some scenic areas sprinkled in here and there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City