Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 09:53 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,578,439 times

Advertisements

Reptile Gardens is still there. The Chuckwagon or whatever it is, is still there. Right across from Reptile Gardens is Happy Holiday Campground. Right up the road from reptile gardens is Bear County. Yes there are still a fair share of tourist traps along 16.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 05:53 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,358,196 times
Ok - how's THIS- I remember the first Mickey D's in RC. I remember my dad paying a dollar to get something like 10 junior size hamburgers for his brood of 7 little kids. I still like to go to Sonic burger here in Phx and get one of the small plain hamburgers with nothing but a little ketchup, mustard, and one pickle. I don't eat much meat and very little junk food, but for me that's comfort food. Reminds me of my dad.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:01 AM

16 posts, read 50,619 times
We just Left Grand Junction, we spent 2 and 1/2 years there and lived at the KOA Campground in our RV, it was the BEST!!

mall was just that hallway with the stand up seating. If anybody is in Grand Junction

Old 01-19-2009, 01:44 AM

1 posts, read 8,667 times
Riding in the big skate on your birthday at the skate rink off of Deadwood Ave.
The Big Happy Chef statue.
Woolworths downtown.
Stopping at Wendy's for a frosty, Burger King for a Whopper, McDonalds for the fries; all in Baken Park.
The dinosaurs never had neighbors.
The Robbinsdale soccer field was a dump.
Smoking was allowed in the mall.
The oder on Omaha; the meat packing plant.
The best pool for birthday parties was the Holiday Inn on Lacross st.
The Royal Fork.
Chalk Rock Hill.
Teter-toter, metal slides, merry-go-rounds, horse swings; all in the flood ditches.
The motel with the deer statues on the front off of West Main st.
Hit 100
The Nuggets semi pro basketball team.
The YMCA before it swallowed the little white house next door. It used to only have one pool.
Pay Phones...everywhere.
Remmingtons.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:45 PM

86 posts, read 269,103 times
I lived right behind Chalk Rock Hill!!!! haha that brings back memories.

Old 01-20-2009, 12:10 PM

53 posts, read 204,613 times
I just saw this thread and was all ready to mention Shakey's(pizza and Little Rascal movies) and Happy Joe's, but I remember when Happy Joe's first opened up....I think it was '77?

Also remember the Holiday Campground on LaCrosse as I lived near there back in the day. There was a pond just north of there were we used to catch mud puppies....I doubt that any of that is still there today.

I went to my first concert at the Civic Center back then to see KISS.....those were the days!

Old 01-25-2009, 12:26 PM

3 posts, read 12,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no8fann View Post
I lived out there in the 70's and early 80's - I remember Shakeys and Happy Joes! I also remember Daisy Dell and Snow White Drive Inn...There was no McD's near the base, but there was a great place off the exit that sold broasted chicken - had a big white chicken shaped sign! We spent many hours at Rapid Skate, and I remember going down the spillway, too! I remember a lot about the mall - I was a little mall rat in the summer while my mom worked in the salon in Penney's (that was back when it was safe to let an 11 year old run the mall all day by themselves!). So much has changed since I have been there, but I can't wait to get back out there and see all the new things!
MY WIFE used to manage that salon and wonders who your mom was?? Send a personal note if you like. Thanks, Bob...and, who could forget those TURKEY STEAKS at Daisy Dell?!

Old 02-11-2009, 09:08 AM

43 posts, read 98,046 times
Boy that brings back memories of younger years. My dad worked for the packing plant for 18 years.
I went to dakota Jr high.
then to Central high school.
The rocket slide.
The swans ducks and the geese before the flood.
We use to live on the other side of rapid creek from where the high school is now before the flood.
Skateland and there was one in rapid valley I can't remember the name of that one but I had a lot of dates there.
shakey's pizza my dad used to have scuba diver club meetings there.
chalk rock hill.
I lived outside of black hawk after the flood.
wow. lots of memories.
story book island

Last edited by willarn; 02-11-2009 at 09:17 AM..

Old 06-24-2009, 11:42 PM

12 posts, read 60,591 times
Default You know you grew up in Rapid in the 60s if....

You remember Tinsel Top and the Jolly Postman of the North.

The Chuckwagon Cafe.

The "BIG" fireworks display held at the fairgrounds.

All of the retail stores being located in downtown Rapid City.

Red Owl

When the church on South Canyon Road was pretty much the edge of West Rapid.

Remember when Stevens High School was nothing but a pile of dirt and steel girders?

Plummer piano on Omaha street.

Myrons Cashway.

Houses between Omaha street and Black Hills Packing.

How about the big wavy slide that used to sit about where Wendys westside is now?

How about Pioneer Foods?

How about sliding down the long handrail at NewBerrys?

How about sliding down the long handrail at Gambles?

How about the big blinking star on Star Village hill?

Ya! Those were the days!

Old 06-24-2009, 11:56 PM

12 posts, read 60,591 times
Default You know you grew up in Rapid in the 70s if....

You remember KKLS

You remember the KKLS High Flying kite contest

Remember where the KKLS High Flying kite contest was held? Where the Regional Hospital now sits.

The KKLS easter egg hunt

You remember Duanes House of Pizza
AND
You remember the Duanes had the ONLY pizza delivery in Rapid City. They kept your pizza warm in a plywood box in the backseat of the delivery car. And delivery could sometomes take HOURS!

The best song on the jukebox at Duanes house of Pizza was Radar Love by Golden Earring.

Shakeys pizza actually had someone play ragtime tunes on the piano and sing while you ate your pizza. After he died no one replaced him, but the piano stayed for as long as I remember.

Remember the Hole?

Remember Headquarters?

Dicks Place?

The Bumper Pad?

The Silverdollar Arcade

Toy Hobby downtown: and the HO racetrack in the basement?

Music Monarchs?

Bimbos drive-in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City