Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 04:09 PM

19,720 posts, read 10,453,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly One View Post
Do you know when it closed?
about a year ago? I *miss* the salad bar! Building is empty, as far as I can tell, when I drove by, over the weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2010, 10:52 PM

56 posts, read 209,692 times
That's sad. I stopped in there a few times because I really missed the Bonanza's in Sioux Falls. I hadn't been there in quite awhile though.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:18 PM

2 posts, read 14,803 times
Default To the person that started this post

I want to thank you for starting a post about rapid city since been a long time since I've been back. all the posts have brought back wonderful memories of a place I called home for 22 years. I will always call the black hills home forever. Thank you all so much.

Old 07-20-2011, 11:01 AM

2 posts, read 14,803 times
does anyone know of the name of the bar kitty corner from the hilton downtown. i remember when i had just turned 21 and there was a country bar, i think called the boot hill or somthing like that. the bar at the corner i want to say was t-birds. If I got that right, that place has many memories for me.
As I lived in Hill City, did the wild west shootout there and all that, I spent most of my time in Rapid.
There was an indoor gunrange near the race track that I went to alot.
And I remember when dunkin donuts was a great place to hang until some retard murdered the worker there then it was closed.
Cruising 8ths street, but like who didnt.
First concert I went to was Huey Lewis and the News on the forth of july in 92 I think. Thank you lori for surprising me with the tickets for that.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:13 PM

1 posts, read 7,350 times
You cruised up and down 8th street all night long, stopping at 7/11 for a Slurpee and Bon Jovi was the biggest band at the time.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:34 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,592,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry Ann View Post
You cruised up and down 8th street all night long, stopping at 7/11 for a Slurpee and Bon Jovi was the biggest band at the time.
My car was rear ended on 8th just north of Saint Patrick. May of 95. The war horse was no worse for wear.

Old 08-08-2011, 10:37 PM

18,700 posts, read 41,889,472 times
We cruised 8th and always pulled into A&W Rootbeer where they waited on the cars on roller skates and brought trays to hang on your window.

Old 08-25-2011, 12:55 PM

1 posts, read 7,297 times
I remember Shakeys Pizza every Tuesday night. The old player piano with music scrolls. Floating down Rapid Creek, sometimes with a tube, if we had one. Swimming at Roosevelt Park and Harace Mann Pool. We used to go garden raiding at night, and eat at Casa Del Rey. Happy Joes was a blast, and had that GIGANTIC ice cream sunday. I remember going iceskating at a park there on 8th St., can't remember the name. I remember JoJo potatoes at Snow White drive in, and field trips to the Metz Bakery in elementary. Girls club for me and my sister, Boys Club for my brother. Learning to skate backward at the skating rink every Friday night, and do the WIPEOUT.... wow!

Old 08-25-2011, 01:55 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,592,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Consuella9 View Post
I remember Shakeys Pizza every Tuesday night. The old player piano with music scrolls. Floating down Rapid Creek, sometimes with a tube, if we had one. Swimming at Roosevelt Park and Harace Mann Pool. We used to go garden raiding at night, and eat at Casa Del Rey. Happy Joes was a blast, and had that GIGANTIC ice cream sunday. I remember going iceskating at a park there on 8th St., can't remember the name. I remember JoJo potatoes at Snow White drive in, and field trips to the Metz Bakery in elementary. Girls club for me and my sister, Boys Club for my brother. Learning to skate backward at the skating rink every Friday night, and do the WIPEOUT.... wow!
That was Wilson Park. I went to elementary School at Wilson.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:14 AM

19 posts, read 55,846 times
An afternoon drive through 1970`s Rapid City,

Starlite Drive Inn, Greyhound Racing, Coleman Bedding , Pretty Pines , Ken Freeze Racing , Meadowood Lanes, Rushmore Marine, Hills Material , Freed`s Fine Furnishings , Chuckwagon Cafe, Al`s Conoco Service Station, Patterson`s Auto supply / Radak Supply / Billiards, Gibson's , Hardy`s Gun Shop, Kenny`s Body Shop, Sooper Dooper , Bryans Quality Cleaners , Pinball Alley, White Tail Motor Lodge, Swaney`s Chevron Service Station , Old Erv`s Home Volkswagen repair ,Taco Johns, Gulf 76 Station, Church`s Sheet Metal and air conditioning , Hudson Oil Gas Station , Sambos / Happy Chef , The Embers Supper Club, , Randy`s Pizza Barrel , Canyon Lake Supper Club, Canyon Lake Conoco 103 oct racing fuel , A & J Dive Shop, The Aquanaut Dive Shop, Andy`s Ski & Sail, Daisy Dell , The Speed Center, Dairy Queen , Mable`s ABC Food Store, The Mountain Goat Sports, Duells Sporting Goods, Rausch Monument & Granite , Sinclair / Circle S, Direct Sales Tire Co. & gas stations, Family Thrift Center , Miners Camp , J.B.`s Big Boy , Tesoro Gas Station , Wilson Park , unknown 8th St. speed / race shop , A&W Rootbeer Stand, Taylors Restaurant parking lot , Genes Texaco 104 oct. Racing Fuel ,Casa Del Rey , Old Home Bakery / Metz Baking Co. , Snow White Drive Inn , Hillside Scuba Supply / Gap , Mister Donut , Mamola Motors , Gill`s Sun Inn, Black Hills Packing , Team Electronics , Maverick mini-mart , Otto`s Service Center , Aby`s Feed and Seed , Hubbard Mills , Rice Cycle & Motor Co., Rapid City Medical Center , St. Johns McNamara Hospital, Bennett-Clarkson Memorial Hospital , Little Big Men Pizza , Knecht Lumber Co. / Pratt & Lambert , Robbin & Sterns Lumber Co. , Niva`s Diner, E. No. St. [railroad car] , Johnson Machine , Frontier Ford / Courtesy Lincoln Mercury , James Motor Co. , Dodge Town , Brekhus Buick / International , Cochran Oldsmobile / Pontiac / Cadillac , Mt. View car wash, Slippery Slide a.k.a. Slippery Seal , The Thread Shed / Gap , Headquarters , Music Monarchs , Myrons Cashway , Pioneer Foods , Hardware Hank , Coast to Coast Hardware , Gambles Hardware, NewBerrys , S.S. Kresges , Plummer Piano & Organ , Duanes house of Pizza, Who`s Hobby House , Two-Wheeler Dealer / Italia / Nishiki / Motobecane , Black Hills Staple and Spice , Elks Theater , State Theater, Starlite Drive Inn, Robbinsdale Drive Inn. , Corner Pocket 3.2 beverages 18 yrs. , Hub`s Bronco Bar, Stockmans, Western , Bobs Modern , The Pheasant , Crystal , Studio 21 , Dahns Tavern / Charley`s Lounge , Box Elder. In 1974 cigarettes were 45 cents pull machine at Hudson Oil on W. Main and regular leaded gasoline 92 octane was 55-58 cents gallon., Racing Fuel up at Genes Texaco at the top of 8th St. across from Taylors Restaurant was about 73 cents a gallon for 103-104 octane premium Avgas. I think minimum wage was around $1.73 - $2.10 an hour. A&W pronto pups and root beer, McDonald's Big mac, or a hard roll Big Beef au jus and hand battered onion rings at the Snow White Drive Inn smelling the Old Home Bakery hard at work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City