Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 06:27 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,714,004 times

Advertisements

A junior high school would be nice in Rapid Valley but I think there needs to be a fourth high school on the Southside. Central High School is the largest high school in South Dakota and it takes in kids from most every part of Rapid City and the surrounding area except the Westside. CHS has about 2,500 kids in a school built for about 1,500. Some rooms have partitions so that they can hold two classes. Not to mention, traffic in the morning and around 3:30pm is terrible on 8th and 5th Streets.

A new high school out on Catron or even in Rapid Valley would take a lot of the pressure off of CHS. Douglas only takes Ellsworth kids and Stevens is too far away for Rapid Valley and Southside kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 06:59 PM

464 posts, read 1,355,541 times
agreed.
And I think Elk Vale Rd would be the perfect location for both, even if it's on the south side of Omaha St on Elk Vale.
We will move to the west side if we haven't moved completely out of state BEFORE my daughter begins High School.

Old 02-02-2009, 08:24 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,714,004 times
There are some places on the Westside that are comparable in price to Rapid Valley and the Southside. Look around Pinedale, Canyon Lake, Chapel Valley, and Countryside and you're sure to find some houses that fit a good budget. Sure, the houses will be a little bit older ('70s-'90s) but they are probably better built than the cookie-cutter houses out in Rapid Valley too.

Old 02-25-2009, 02:04 PM

1 posts, read 2,153 times
The Catholic school system is Rapid City is by far the best educational institution in town

Old 12-02-2010, 12:00 AM

2 posts, read 2,965 times
We plan on moving to Rapid City this summer, and wish we could afford to send our kids to the Catholic school. The cost is only slightly lower than what we're paying here in Southern California, so don't think we will be able to swing it, unfortunately. Does anyone know what the Hermosa school system is like? Our kids are in 1st, 3rd & 5th grades. Thanks!

Old 12-02-2010, 01:56 PM

68 posts, read 135,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
A junior high school would be nice in Rapid Valley but I think there needs to be a fourth high school on the Southside. Central High School is the largest high school in South Dakota and it takes in kids from most every part of Rapid City and the surrounding area except the Westside. CHS has about 2,500 kids in a school built for about 1,500. Some rooms have partitions so that they can hold two classes. Not to mention, traffic in the morning and around 3:30pm is terrible on 8th and 5th Streets.

A new high school out on Catron or even in Rapid Valley would take a lot of the pressure off of CHS. Douglas only takes Ellsworth kids and Stevens is too far away for Rapid Valley and Southside kids.
My husband and I just secured a place in Box Elder. We are not military, can our children still go to Douglas or will they go somewhere else?

Old 12-04-2010, 01:26 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,771,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingSoon11 View Post
We plan on moving to Rapid City this summer, and wish we could afford to send our kids to the Catholic school. The cost is only slightly lower than what we're paying here in Southern California, so don't think we will be able to swing it, unfortunately. Does anyone know what the Hermosa school system is like? Our kids are in 1st, 3rd & 5th grades. Thanks!
Hermosa is a decent K-8 school. Not sure on the latest test scores. It is part of the Custer School district.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammiller03 View Post
My husband and I just secured a place in Box Elder. We are not military, can our children still go to Douglas or will they go somewhere else?
Douglas is open to all in the district, it is not exclusive to EAFB.

Old 12-06-2010, 05:07 PM

2 posts, read 2,965 times
[quote=SD4020;16878466]Hermosa is a decent K-8 school. Not sure on the latest test scores. It is part of the Custer School district.

Glad to hear it, thanks for the info., SD4020.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:02 PM

16 posts, read 30,147 times
Can someone give me some info on the best high school for a Sophomore to live. We are moving to somewhere in SD in the near future. Never been there, dont really know about the area at all. We do like the moutain area. Live in OKC, OK right now and its a BIG city, not really lovin it.. I like a maller family town. We are wanting a good area for our son to grow up and stay out of trouble, no ghetto, bad area please. What areas are the best for a family?

Old 12-10-2010, 08:04 PM

68 posts, read 135,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by genaa1964 View Post
Can someone give me some info on the best high school for a Sophomore to live. We are moving to somewhere in SD in the near future. Never been there, dont really know about the area at all. We do like the moutain area. Live in OKC, OK right now and its a BIG city, not really lovin it.. I like a maller family town. We are wanting a good area for our son to grow up and stay out of trouble, no ghetto, bad area please. What areas are the best for a family?
My husband and I will be living in Box Elder which is about 3000 population I think. It is only 5-10 minutes away from Rapid City so you are close enough to the city with out being in the city. I was told that the school system in Box Elder is really great on one of the best in the state. Mostly because it is so close to the military base there so the military helps to fund it. We are happy with the location and can't wait to get there.

Just 21 days and 10 hours till we get out of the hell hole (FDL, WI).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City