Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2009, 06:34 PM

384 posts, read 1,669,446 times

Advertisements

I received this email from the Dahl Arts Center--my dd and I use to go there all the time for classes and family day. I was hoping to go again this summer when we come back for a visit. Thought I would share the email with you all, it's pretty distressing........

Dear Members and Friends,

This is not a test. This is a real arts emergency.

The South Dakota Arts Council has received a zero budget for 2010 from Governor Rounds in his latest budget. This means the end of funding from the state for many arts groups like: Black Hills Playhouse, Black Hills Symphony, Black Hills Chamber Music Society and others. The Rapid City Arts Council would sustain a loss of over $25,000 in much needed annual funding.

If you care deeply about the arts in South Dakota, particularly in Western South Dakota, follow the links below and let your voice be heard in Pierre. The State Arts Council is marshalling forces to combat this cut that puts an end to the SD Arts Council and matching funds for South Dakota from the National Endowment for the Arts. Please go to the sites below for contacts and information, then mail, email or call your legislators and urge them to amend the budget to fund the arts.

Thank you for your action.
Darla Drew (DD) Lerdal, Assistant Director RCAC

CONTACT YOUR LEGISLATORS TODAY!
Who are my Legislators?

To visit South Dakotans for the Arts
South Dakotans for the Arts ADVOCACY ALERTS

Bringing DD and The Fayrohs together.

Last edited by Jammie; 01-27-2009 at 08:15 PM.. Reason: Fixed it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 09:12 PM

464 posts, read 1,355,541 times
sorry, but the cuts gotta come from somewhere, and since no one will support a property tax increase it's got to happen.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:09 AM

955 posts, read 3,648,230 times
The cuts are terrible I agree - I am also very sad to loose the birth-3 program - what an asset to the state, but Ashnat is right - we do have to make cuts...

Old 01-28-2009, 10:30 AM

Default oh no!

The birth to 3 project? The most important time in a child's life. Unbelievable. The art center might be a "luxury" but the birth to 3? That is terrible.................................sorry to hear that, I knew the worker who covered the N. Hills because I used to work at Black Hills Special Services about 5 yrs ago.............

Pam

Old 03-11-2009, 09:29 PM

Default They've been spared

Just got an email from the Dahl arts center that they have been spared. Think it was a .5 cent increase in tourism tax. ( HB 1072) I guess I am now a SD tourist and I don't mind a bit! Hopefully we will get to visit the Dahl this summer!

Pam

Last edited by pammybear; 03-11-2009 at 09:31 PM.. Reason: forgot my reference!

Old 03-11-2009, 10:07 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,714,004 times
That's great to hear Pam! Please do visit, it is a very nice museum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City