Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 11:11 PM

4 posts, read 19,100 times

Advertisements

My parents told me about a very deep pool in rapid city's' canyon lake park, they say a movie was shot there (but they are not sure if it was truth or rumor) I was wondering if anyone knew about the pool, (is it still there?) it was supposedly very deep and not fenced in. If anyone has information, as to weather the pool is still there and if a movie was in fact shot there(scene) I would appreciate it. i am certain if it is gone, no one my age would know of it, this probably seems like a silly thing to wonder about, but what have I got to lose posting my question here. Ive tried looking on google (for an amount of time Id rather not admit haha)

oh and the last time my parents had seen it was in the early 80's, I don't remember of coarse. thought Id add encase it helps.

Im just kind of curious what it looked/looks like, and what movie was shot there ( as stated before)

Thanks!!!

Last edited by mkr188; 02-01-2009 at 11:12 PM.. Reason: I spelled knew wrong
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2009, 11:54 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,715,272 times
I think there was a hotel around there before the 1972 flood and it may have had a pool but I'm not sure. I know there is a lodge by the lake and the Canyon Lake Chophouse is a cetring and events center. A little further up the road is Chapel Valley and there are a couple pools up there too. The movie you may be thinking of is The Party from 1988. Parts of it were shot in Rapid City. No, it's not the one from the '60s with Peter Sellers. This is a newer movie.

The Party (1988) (V)

Old 02-04-2009, 08:59 AM

29 posts, read 56,037 times
There is a place near Hill City called "the hippy hole". Its in a canyon and has a 30 foot waterfall in a very deep pool. Is that what you are looking for?

Old 02-04-2009, 10:57 AM

53 posts, read 205,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm_someone_elses_tool View Post
There is a place near Hill City called "the hippy hole". Its in a canyon and has a 30 foot waterfall in a very deep pool. Is that what you are looking for?
Do you know exactly where the Hippy Hole is? I was trying to remember and take my kids there, but I haven't been there since 1978 and obviously, I have no clue where it is any longer. We used to swim there as kids, but we never dove as my uncle was killed there in the early 50's while diving.

Old 02-04-2009, 01:03 PM

464 posts, read 1,355,630 times

YouTube - Big Falls / Hippie Hole (South Dakota)
http://www.trazzler.com/trips/users/jaxneki/hippie-hole-in-sd#map=true (broken link)

Old 02-04-2009, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txchief View Post
Do you know exactly where the Hippy Hole is? I was trying to remember and take my kids there, but I haven't been there since 1978 and obviously, I have no clue where it is any longer. We used to swim there as kids, but we never dove as my uncle was killed there in the early 50's while diving.
That's too bad about your uncle! Hippie Hole is right off South Rockerville Road. If you're coming from Rapid City go east on it. There was a fire up by there a few years ago so a lot of the area is barren now.

Old 02-11-2009, 12:36 PM

53 posts, read 205,524 times
Thank you ahsnat and Danny for the info! That's the place I remember! :-)

I now know why I was having issues finding it. We used to come in from Keystone.

Thanks!!

Old 02-12-2009, 11:45 PM

4 posts, read 19,100 times
Default no

Its a man made pool, the movie shot in 1988 would not be it, since they knew about it in the early 1980's. 83 maybe? and they thought the movie was shot in the 20's. It is a man made pool. it was definitely in the place and park mentioned above, not the natural pools, I know what ones your talking about.

hope this gives further help.

mkr188

Old 02-13-2009, 12:28 AM

Hmm... I really have no idea. A few houses around there have pools. I can think of about 3 friends of mine that live around Canyon Lake and they have pools. Canyon Lake Park has some wading pools for geese and to prevent flooding, but those were all built after the 1972 flood.

If the movie was shot in the '20s Im wondering if Canyon Lake Park was even there. Before the flood there were a lot of houses and businesses along the Rapid Creek. It was a popular thing to live along the creek. Maybe it got taken with the flood???

Old 03-22-2009, 11:11 AM

1 posts, read 7,232 times
when you are on South Rockerville Road, where do you turn off to get to Hippie Hole?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City