Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 07:10 AM

141 posts, read 402,995 times

Advertisements

Hi! Does anyone know how the drive is from Black Hawk to Rapid City? Especially in the winter. We are in Rapid City visiting today and tomorrow and are going to look at a house for rent out by Black Hawk, but a little concerned about the drive. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 08:22 AM

955 posts, read 3,648,622 times
piece of cake MANY MANY people live in black hawk / summerset / piedmont and work in rapid. we did for two years even in the winter the interstate is kept in good condition so no problem! it takes maybe 10-20 minutes - depending on where you are headed in rapid.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:55 AM

3,941 posts, read 14,716,248 times
Not to mention that they just moved the Black Hawk exit a mile closer to Rapid City so it should be even easier now.

Old 02-09-2009, 03:27 PM

68 posts, read 172,057 times
As everyone said, it’s not that bad. Generally the worst during the winter is the small roads in black hawk. The drive differs by what part of rapid you are going too. if you are heading to the west side of town, then you will most likely take Sturgis road (hwy 79 north) as since it is a major highway it is pretty clear. If you are going to the east side, you will probably take 90. Getting onto 90 used to be a pain, but now with exit 52 open, it’s very easy and hassle free. Since black hawk is a big bedroom community, there is a large amount of people who make this commute every day (I am one of them XD)

Old 02-09-2009, 05:57 PM

Thanks! We determined the property we looked at wasn't for us. It was a very nice house and yard and in a gorgeous area. We had to take peaceful pines (I think) out there and then up curvy and steep roads. It is gorgeous but think at this point it might put us over our heads a bit financially. Maybe when we are ready to buy a house and a 4 wheel drive vehicle we will look out there!

We have gotten lots of good input here on this board so we have some more looking tomorrow. I've managed to get lost and seen probably most of rapid.. maybe lol. But we ended it with a trip to rushmore mall and some ice cream so that made it worth it. Over-all Rapid will take a lot of getting used to but I think I am going to like it here when we make the move!!

Thanks again,
Jen

Old 02-09-2009, 06:22 PM

464 posts, read 1,355,711 times
Don't let the mall turn you off right now. Lots of stores are moving over to the new location, so Rushmore mall is a bit empty right now (and going to be more this weekend with Scheels official move).
Target still hasn't sold it's spot, so I expect that to remain empty for at least a year, probably more. Hopefully the mall is working on filling the rest of the open spots by 2009 Christmas.
Good luck with your search! I know how hard it can be. 3 months before we moved here we made 3 trips and looked at over 100 homes before we finally settled for one. Since you're looking to rent, I imagine it even harder.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:15 AM

Yes, looking for a place to rent has been a pain! I've determined there is very little to choose from that meet my requirements. We need a 3 bedroom so that narrows it down a lot. It also has to allow pets, as we have a kitty we aren't getting rid of. The only other requirement I have is that it is comparable with what we are living in now. I don't want to go back to "ghetto-ish" apartments. Finding something that meets those and is in our price range has been hard. We found a few houses to rent that were priced good but once we saw them they were pretty trashy looking and didn't like the area.

So far the ones we are looking at are across the street from that new elementary school. (rapid valley I think). Those are nice and pretty similar to what we live in now. Only what we live in now is a bit nicer and about $300 cheaper!! The rent prices down there are killing me lol.

Our move got pushed back to the end of March, with possibly one more delay. So I still have plenty time to keep my eyes open for something to come available.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:21 AM

1,582 posts, read 3,109,710 times
Just out of curiosity, what are the places you are looking at renting for? If I can get a job out there, I am looking for a 2 bedroom (minimum), need something that allows pets (we currently have two cats, who are older, but we lost our dog this summer, and my dd is really wanting another!), preferably has a yard and in a neighborhood (I haven't lived in an apartment for years, and I really hate the idea of having to go back to one!). I currently have a three bedroom with two car garage and yard for $950. Would I be able to find something comparable there?

Old 02-24-2009, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no8fann View Post
Just out of curiosity, what are the places you are looking at renting for? If I can get a job out there, I am looking for a 2 bedroom (minimum), need something that allows pets (we currently have two cats, who are older, but we lost our dog this summer, and my dd is really wanting another!), preferably has a yard and in a neighborhood (I haven't lived in an apartment for years, and I really hate the idea of having to go back to one!). I currently have a three bedroom with two car garage and yard for $950. Would I be able to find something comparable there?
We noticed while down there looking there are some nice houses in the rapid valley area. I did see one or two for rent. The rent is more than you are paying now (I want to say it was in the 1200-1400 range for 3 bedroom). We would love it, but is more than we are able to pay. The apartments we have looked at that fit my requirements range from about $950-1200.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:50 AM

3,941 posts, read 14,716,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no8fann View Post
I currently have a three bedroom with two car garage and yard for $950. Would I be able to find something comparable there?
Yes. I have a 3 bed, 2 bath, 1 car townhouse with a yard and a view and other ones around me rent for $875. Get with some property management companies, I suggest Coldwell Banker, and ask them about condos and townhouses.

Coldwell Banker-Lewis, Kirkeby, and Hall Property Management
605-343-2700
coldwellbankerrapid.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City