Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 01:59 PM

22 posts, read 83,577 times

Advertisements

I'm rather late to the party, but I would recommend Tri-State Tire on Campbell. They do a lot more than just tires. I get my oil changed there (for less than most of the dedicated oil-change places) and just got my brakes replaced there. I know the guy that now owns the place, and feel confident in his honesty.

As somewhat independent confirmation of this, a few weeks ago my wife asked one of her co-workers where she took her car to get it fixed. She said that she went to Tri-State Tire. The reason she gave was that Cory (the current owner) was the only mechanic she'd found that was always honest with her and did not try to sell her stuff she did not need. She had been able to catch other mechanics trying to rip her off because both her father and grandfather had worked with cars and she was fairly knowledgeable about them. Cory had been her mechanic at his previous employer, and she followed him when he bought Tri-State Tire.

I'm not sure you can get a much more glowing review than that, so I would recommend Tri-State Tire without hesitation if your primary concern is finding an honest mechanic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 02:13 PM

464 posts, read 1,355,541 times
If you go to TriState, be prepared for a long wait. There's a new owner, and the business hasn't quite got a nack for scheduling yet. Everytime I go to get a flat fixed or my tires rotated (scheduled appt, not a show up), I have to wait over an hour. One time I left my flat tire cause I had to go pick up the kids from school, after I had waited 90 minutes. I went back at 4:45pm to pick it up and had to wait again for them to just put it on the back of my jeep as the spare.

Old 09-03-2009, 03:32 PM

22 posts, read 83,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashnat View Post
If you go to TriState, be prepared for a long wait.
It's true that their honesty is better than their speed. They do have quality movies such as Back to the Future to watch while you wait though.

Old 02-05-2010, 01:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,223 times
I'd try CJ's Auto Repair. As a women myself, I know how important it is to have a honest and reputable mechanic. It's on W. Chicago at Sturgis Rd.

Old 02-05-2010, 03:43 PM

819 posts, read 1,743,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airboat5 View Post
try bobs auto repair. they rock.
You shoud really check this place out. They have worked wonders for me at a good price.

Old 02-05-2010, 06:57 PM

412 posts, read 958,158 times
I took my car to Rushmore Honda's body shop after I clocked a deer on I-90 and they did a magnificent job. It looked brand new. Can't attest to the pricing, as insurance paid for it.

I did have a bad experience with a place on Canyon Lake Drive--might have been Canyon Lake Gas & Auto, will have to drive by and make sure--when I had my old car. It was a sole proprietor place and the guy agreed to wait for me to get there so he could take a look at it. In the 20 minutes it took for me to get there he decided it'd been too long and he was going home. He told me too bad, he was locking up. I couldn't get the car started again to get home. Again, too bad. He left me stranded there in the dang parking lot.

I get my newer car serviced at Courtesy Subaru because that's where I bought it. The quality of the work seems fine. They're pleasant to deal with. They'll take you to work while your car's being worked on so you don't have to miss time waiting around. Once I thought I had a bad wheel bearing because the car was making awful screeching noises. They took the wheel off, discovered a tiny rock jammed in the brakes, pried it out, stuck the wheel back on and sent me on my way free of charge. A new wheel bearing would have been big $$$. Granted the car was under manufacturer's warranty, but they'd still have been paid for their work, yes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City