Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2007, 06:41 AM

56 posts, read 267,270 times

Advertisements

Can you drink your tap water? Or does it smell like a swimming pool and has stuff floating in it and ruins your hair color?

Do y'all get the MN Twins games televised there? Or will I be stuck watching the CO Rockies or worse?

Please give me an idea of the costs of a hair cut and nail service (mani/pedi).

Is there one area of the town that you would not recommend? Or are most areas very safe and clean? downtown the same?

I've been living in Tucson for over 10 yrs and have forgotten what a nice mid western town is like. Sorry for the silly questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2007, 10:15 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,365,237 times
Not silly questions at all, but since I don't live in Rapid, I can just answer a bit of what you'd like to know. I've never had a haircut in Rapid, but over here the cost of a haircut is 12 something. I just normally pay her 14 each time so I don't know exactly. It'd be quite comparable in Rapid. Manicure or pedicure~I've never had one.

Some areas of Rapid are nicer then others, but I've never seen a slum area there and you'll probably think the crime rate in any are of Rapid is low compared to Az.

The Twins are actually quite popular in So. Dak., but since I don't watch sports, I couldn't even tell you if we get them in my own town.

I've never heard of much of a problem with water over there, but keep in mind that my knowledge would only be from a motel room or a restaurant. I know that someone from there will come along and maybe be a bit more specific then I can be.

Just wanted you to know that we have friends who had lived in Yuma for a few years. They liked it there in the winter, but after a few years they moved back here. The lifestyle was just too different for them.

Old 06-07-2007, 12:25 PM

955 posts, read 3,641,628 times
Yes - our tap water if fine - no oder or color to it which is a nice change from denver as well

Most areas of Rapid are very nice - many new developments if that is what you like, and lots of great established neighborhoods.

Sports broadcasts are pretty wide variety as well - if you have cable you can pretty much get anything you want.

Haircuts can range from 10.00 to 50.00 depending on where you go and what you want - there is a beauty school here that does nice work for very good prices if you are willing - lots of choices.

Nails cost about $30.00 for a full set of acrilics - mani / pedi with no nails would be about $40.00. - again lots of choices.

Old 06-07-2007, 04:46 PM

56 posts, read 267,270 times
Thanks again for your answers.

Jammie - AZ is a beautiful state with lots to do and see. It's a great place to spend a vacation. But living here has become a real problem.

Will be nice to not have to haul gallon jugs of filtered water in 100 degree heat. You cannot drink the tap water in Tucson. Yuk.

Old 06-07-2007, 06:48 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,365,237 times
Oh my!!! I can't think of a town in the state that you'd have that problem. Some of the towns did have poor water, but they are now hooked up to what's called "rural water". It actually comes from wells that are FAR below the surface and most people don't even use water softeners here anymore.

Old 01-25-2009, 11:37 AM

3 posts, read 12,876 times
Twins games are on both cable systems and cable is a terrific deal because there is competition between two good systems.

Old 01-26-2009, 05:26 PM

3,940 posts, read 14,682,006 times
Tap water is fine in Rapid City but it's very hard on hair and skin so if you have a water softener it makes a world of difference. Rapid City's water comes from Pactola Lake which is a spring-fed reservoir up in the Black Hills. I believe that Rapid Valley has artesian rural water.

Compared to AZ, SD will have almost no slums however the Northside of Rapid City is considered "the wrong side of the tracks".

Old 01-26-2009, 07:03 PM

464 posts, read 1,352,409 times
ditto on the water. We had a softener the first year we were here, then it broke and we didn't replace it for 3 years. In that 3 years our dishes were never fully clean and we had horrible dry skin. Within 3 days of getting a new softener we noticed a huge difference with our dishes.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:14 PM

267 posts, read 896,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZheat View Post
Can you drink your tap water? Or does it smell like a swimming pool and has stuff floating in it and ruins your hair color?

Do y'all get the MN Twins games televised there? Or will I be stuck watching the CO Rockies or worse?

Please give me an idea of the costs of a hair cut and nail service (mani/pedi).

Is there one area of the town that you would not recommend? Or are most areas very safe and clean? downtown the same?

I've been living in Tucson for over 10 yrs and have forgotten what a nice mid western town is like. Sorry for the silly questions.
The tap water here is WAAAY better than Tucson. Phx was bad enough, but I agree Tucson is worse when it comes to water quality (I moved here from Phx last year)

Yes, you can have your pick of watching the Vikings, or the Broncos.

Good haircut for a female - less than $30. Haircolor - less than $80 (full head highlights - way better cost than Phx) Mani/pedi $30-40 - lots of places to pick from, friendly people, not like the "mall salons".

As I'm sure has already been mentioned, stay away from North Rapid. That would be anything North of Omaha Street, which cuts all the way through the town. I'm not a fan of Rapid Valley either - houses are very cookie-cutter style, I've heard the school out there is not so hot, and they are usually the last place to get plowed when the weather gets bad, so a lot of people get stranded at home out there twice as long as the rest of us in town.

Downtown is small, but nice. Small as in 3 streets wide, maybe 10 blocks long, so there isn't really a "bad" part to it. There's some rundown houses south of the "downtown" area, close to the school of mines, and I don't know what "part" of town they are considered, but I'm sure if you were to look at them, you would realize its not an area you want to be in.

I was GLAD to make the move here from AZ! It took a lot of adjusting for me, but in the end it is worth it. Tucson is smaller than Phx, so you're already a little more used to the smaller feel (although it will still be a little bit of a shock to the system, I'm sure)

What is bringing you to the Rapid City area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
View detailed profiles of: