Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 01:53 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,326,011 times

Advertisements

Circus act type agents are pretty rare these days-- and the "top producer" might be milking the last of his questionable talents. What sellers need is an agent that can help to smooth the process and utilize the appropriate marketing techniques to attract the largest number of potential buyers. Generally educated guessed about the age of property or quality of plumbing don't help either of those goals.

Things that help smooth the process is a thorough understanding of the details involved in the transaction. Everything from required disclosures to understanding the role of every player from government offices to lenders and inspectors, appraisers, title companies goes a long way to reassuring clients that you have a handle on the whole ball of wax.

Marketing generally is very driven by web sites and email, but "old school" techniques still can be effective. From direct mail to newspaper ads to agent open houses and even pamphlets and flags in the right neighborhood can generate appropriate buyer interest. If the presentation you make does not seem polished and up to date odds are sellers won't get their moneys worth...

You have to adapt yourself to your client's style too-- young people are used to LOTS of frequent email or even text messages. Older folks are more comfortable with phone calls, and generally do like them to come at meal time or past a certain hour. For every client that thought they " got me" on something I had dozens that appreciated the fact that I explained things to them in a way that would benefit them in the long run. I had a number of clients that regretted being suckered into using a "top producer" only to be shunted off on one the inexperienced / clueless flunkies that top producer kept in the wings for the "less profitable" listings...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 02:18 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,970,243 times
Forget that junk. Learn your market stats and trends and you'll be better than 99% of the other agents out there by being knowledgeable about your market. Your knowledge will outweigh your experience and then over time you'll get experience. In 3 years you'll be a top agent in your market if you prospect daily and stay current on your market.

Old 07-01-2010, 09:51 PM

42 posts, read 183,794 times
Thanks for the input guys! I am just starting up in the business, and I do not have any prior experience in working, but I have been interning for a Broker for the last year. When I say top producing I mean he is in the top 1% of the nation.

I guess noticing things about the house definitely shows you are knowledgeable and sets a good tone. I am not saying with only that you can close a deal, just saying it is a good thing to bring up and "surprise" your clients.

Besides a listing package w/ CMA's and explaining the whole real estate listing and selling process, what are some creative ways to impress sellers, because having the experience is something I can not use as a selling point...

Old 07-02-2010, 12:45 PM

17,355 posts, read 14,606,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armenh View Post
Thanks for the input guys! I am just starting up in the business, and I do not have any prior experience in working, but I have been interning for a Broker for the last year. When I say top producing I mean he is in the top 1% of the nation.

I guess noticing things about the house definitely shows you are knowledgeable and sets a good tone. I am not saying with only that you can close a deal, just saying it is a good thing to bring up and "surprise" your clients.

Besides a listing package w/ CMA's and explaining the whole real estate listing and selling process, what are some creative ways to impress sellers, because having the experience is something I can not use as a selling point...
Stop talking & trying to impress and listen.

Be personable. Be friendly. Be honest.

If you try and be someone or something you're not, most people can see through that right away and they won't trust you nor hire you.

And stop searching for the secret golden nugget - it doesn't exist. You have to find a style that works for YOU - not the schmoozer who thinks he's got the market covered with roof age & copper piping. What a moron.

Old 07-02-2010, 01:29 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,300,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armenh View Post
Be honest and straightforward with them and you will accomplish two things. One, you'll stand out from the also rans in the business, and two they ought to be impressed with earnest and truthful attention to their needs.

If you want to stand out with a CMA, print it in a different color.

Old 07-02-2010, 02:03 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,326,011 times
Odds are the "1% in the nation" designation comes from a variety of factors that are more good fortune than talent.
Dollar volume is largely dependent of WHERE you are working-- multi- million dollar estates tend to keep even a lazy lister's ranking high.

Unit volume is similarly driven by areas with high than average turn over.

Some combination of the above accounts for the huge majority of "top producers".

Now don't get me wrong, there are folks working the same areas that never break out of the pack, but for any average Joe to think that with a rabbit to pull out of your hat you too can be "top producer" is just wrong headed...

If you plow your earnings back into self promotion that goes a long way to getting more listings. If you are truly a personable type that too goes a long way, as the "sell ice to Eskimo" patter often does (unfortunately) win over more listings than a truly effective marketing plan, and the numbers game means all the agents showing houses that happen to be listed by "top producer" are really do the work of both sides...

The best tip is to work hard at showing folks that you enjoy helping them. And of course you have to be sincere in this-- does no good to SAY "thank you very much" when tone / demeanor has clients thinking you substitute f u c for t h a n ...

Old 07-03-2010, 12:01 PM

75 posts, read 170,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Go in, ask questions and then show your expertise. Most people don't want a circus act, they want the house sold. If he guessed the age of the roof right did he get a Kewpie Doll?
I must be inexperienced because I have NO idea what a kewpie doll is?

Old 07-03-2010, 12:33 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,497,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherKlein View Post
I must be inexperienced because I have NO idea what a kewpie doll is?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kewpie_doll_(toy)

Old 07-04-2010, 01:23 PM

982 posts, read 3,485,626 times
I second what Mike said. It sounds to me like the agent was having a little fun at the expense of inexperienced agents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Probably the reason he is a top producer is because he had you believing he could tell whether a house has copper plumbing just from looking at the front of the house.

You also can not tell the age of a roof by looking at it. You can take an educated guess from the looks but what if the owner just had it sprayed down with something to clean it up? That can change the looks by 5 years or more. If a roof has many overhanging trees it is possible the roof will look more aged than it is.

Go in, ask questions and then show your expertise. Most people don't want a circus act, they want the house sold. If he guessed the age of the roof right did he get a Kewpie Doll?

Old 07-08-2010, 03:14 PM

1,024 posts, read 4,137,472 times
An experienced agent will not try to impress people with how experienced he/she is, and, over the course of years in business, will have learned to not be afraid to say "I don't know, but I'll find out", rather than trying to have an answer for everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals