Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 10:26 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,972,507 times

Advertisements

30 showings/ 3 offers in 2 months? The fact you don't have a contract suggests to me that you're not as good at this as you think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 06:57 AM

78 posts, read 301,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Didn't read all the logic from above but the 1 thing that caught my eye:

I had to smile with that one. If they only knew how many buyer agents never put their clients in front of a lender before they show them houses. I've had so many people who I've met that will tell you about their stellar credit and couldn't get a newspaper on credit. Or the Mortgage Companies that pass out Pre-Qual letters that should be used as toilet paper. Also my all time favorite is "I'm a Doctor so you know I've got great credit" There are many high paid professionals who are broke or bankrupt.

So ahead and take that contract on your house which might in 60 days fall apart because the buyer can't get the money. Then you can hold the buyers agent responsible, but he won't care cause he represents the buyer.

One more quick note: Be sure and read your financing information in your contract about contingencies and release of earnest money. That is one of the biggies of people who come here and are totally confused and don't understand.
All the offers I have received from my FSBO sale have included a preapproval letter from the buyer's lender. Do you require a preapproval letter from buyer agents for each of your listings?

Old 08-24-2010, 06:58 AM

78 posts, read 301,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
30 showings/ 3 offers in 2 months? The fact you don't have a contract suggests to me that you're not as good at this as you think.
I am under contract.

Old 08-24-2010, 07:21 AM

17,369 posts, read 14,613,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BedfordResident1 View Post
All the offers I have received from my FSBO sale have included a preapproval letter from the buyer's lender. Do you require a preapproval letter from buyer agents for each of your listings?
I'll answer.

Actually, some properties I do.

Let me first say I have no doubt that some people are successful at FSBO - but truly the odds are against those sellers. (And true FSBOs are not listed in the MLS.)

When an offer comes in with a pre-approval, a good listing agent usually knows (or can find out pretty quickly) if a pre-approval is worth the paper it's written on. And in this era of financing killing deals, that's a great attribute to have.

Btw, congrats on getting your home sold.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:02 AM

217 posts, read 445,608 times
Quote:
Congratulations on getting your house under contract!

Requiring a preapproval letter is the first step, but when you do multiple transactions you know which lenders are causing difficulties and which ones are notorious for missing closing dates and/or issuing rejections at the last minute. A lot of times when the listing agent may suspect it is not a very good preapproval they will negotiate that the buyer will get a preapproval from the listing agent’s preferred lender – even though the buyer won’t be using that lender – just to make sure that they have information from someone they trust. It’s the same thing that a lot of REO’s require.

Don't forget, getting under contract is only the first negotiation. There are negotiations throughout the process - repairs being the biggest one.

I took a huge assumption leap based on your username that you might live in Bedford in the Triangle. If your home is the one I think it is, you should be fine – the buyer’s agent is very experienced and good one.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:18 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,972,507 times
Quote:
You aren't a FSBO. You have representation, even if it's limited.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:32 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
You aren't a FSBO. You have representation, even if it's limited.
I think agents promoting that thought should prove it, that there is representation, particularly in Bedford's case.

Without citing their local MLS rules, unless they know that Bedford is IN their local MLS.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:36 PM

11,825 posts, read 34,420,440 times
Is FSBO worth it?
Views: 483
Posted By BedfordResident1
I'm selling my house FSBO. It's been on the...

I'm selling my house FSBO. It's been on the market about two months. I paid a local agency $300 to put it on the MLS, as well as have been marketing it myself with craigslist/owners.com/ plus a few...

Old 08-24-2010, 08:47 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
Is FSBO worth it?
Views: 483
Posted By BedfordResident1
I'm selling my house FSBO. It's been on the...

I'm selling my house FSBO. It's been on the market about two months. I paid a local agency $300 to put it on the MLS, as well as have been marketing it myself with craigslist/owners.com/ plus a few...
Rick Abdella thinks that this example is in our local market, and Bedford has yet to refute that supposition.

So, I will expound on our local rules. (What the heck, I made the rules on this one... )

In the Triangle MLS:
"Entry Only," "EO," listing specifically is the entry of data in MLS, without any representation, no agent-client relationship.
By Triangle MLS rules, the listing agent can call this a "FSBO" and/or a "For Sale By Owner" in the public remarks.

"Limited Service," "LS," Listing indicates some level of agency being offered. That would not be a FSBO.

Old 08-25-2010, 06:40 PM

1,976 posts, read 6,852,517 times
To me it seems this is like the DIY oil change questions. For most it is easier and better to have it done at the dealership with a lot of $$ paid. Others would read about it, give it a shot and most would probably would do okay. In between a few burn the engine, not to mention same outcome also happens at the dealership too!
I am not planning to sell yet, but I can see pocketing the 3% commission or at least part of it and maybe even be able to sell faster. I think with proper research all the paperwork could be done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals