Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 04:37 AM

68 posts, read 162,134 times

Advertisements

My home has been on the market for 4 month FSBO.I'm listed every place on the web.Including the MLS.
When Realtors call to make an app't to show my home I find their attitudes very abrupt and rude.
Is there something I can do to put the Realtors mind at ease that everything is covered at my end?
That they will not be the one's doing all the legwork?That I am not the enemy?
Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 07:07 AM

43,016 posts, read 76,519,527 times
I'm curious. How many showings in 4 months?

Some agents resent FSBO's and are less than professional about it.
I wonder if you are getting calls from agents whose clients are demanding to see the house, who azre unsure about getting paid.

Are you getting calls for previews or just for showings?

Old 08-21-2010, 07:17 AM

40,919 posts, read 48,833,863 times
Deb, 1st thing is if you are in the MLS you are not a FSBO. You have hired a RE Brokerage that has reduced services for a reduced price.

You may be the best in the world but we agents normally have a difficult time dealing with a homeowner who has limited representation since it requires us to deal with someone who can cause our buyers difficulty in buying your home. It's much better for our buyers to have a seller represented by an experienced professional agent who knows exactly what to do to get a home sold.

We run across the same but opposite with buyers coming to us represented by the discount buyers agents. It creates many times a lot more work and especially more risk when either party is not well represented. And in our business, risk reduction is very important to protect our client.

And honestly, If I have a choice of 40-50 or more homes to show a buyer and we have time or need to maybe only see 15-20 I will eliminate any home where I perceive there may be problems or not be the best for my clients and usually your home will be taken off my list. I prefer to avoid these types of listings and listings where I know there is a poorly skilled agent. I know the good agents and companies that are in our area. I prefer to show their homes 1st because I know they have the skills that will indirectly benefit my buyer.

So... no need for buyers agents to be rude but anytime we have to call a homeowner direct to set up an appointment, it's a phone call we dread making.

This is all JMO and there are thousands who will probably be like me and thousands of agents who have different opinions on so called "FSBO" that are really not.

Old 08-21-2010, 07:30 AM

43,016 posts, read 76,519,527 times
Is there any defining legal statute anywhere that clarifies what a FSBO is?
Whether this is actually a FSBO or not is dependent on local MLS rules, I think.

Where I am, the "broker" who enters an "Entry Only" listing in the Triangle MLS may put "FSBO" and "For Sale By Owner" right into the public comments in the listing without breaking any rules.

Old 08-21-2010, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Is there any defining legal statute anywhere that clarifies what a FSBO is?
Whether this is actually a FSBO or not is dependent on local MLS rules, I think.

Where I am, the "broker" who enters an "Entry Only" listing in the Triangle MLS may put "FSBO" and "For Sale By Owner" right into the public comments in the listing without breaking any rules.
I'm sure it is a regional issue on how they are classified in the system. Here they are not FSBO's but limited service listings. Both with the same issues, just different names for what they're called.

To me a big red flag is when the listing says "Call Homeowner Direct for all showings" and in addition "All Offers Submitted directly to homeowner with copy to agent".

I prefer to not be in a position where I'm sending the offer to the seller direct, that's the job of the agent so they can discuss the terms.

Old 08-21-2010, 08:29 AM

16,850 posts, read 14,221,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbiest23 View Post
My home has been on the market for 4 month FSBO.I'm listed every place on the web.Including the MLS.
When Realtors call to make an app't to show my home I find their attitudes very abrupt and rude.
Is there something I can do to put the Realtors mind at ease that everything is covered at my end?
Thanks for any help.
How are they being abrupt & rude? Can you give us an example?

Old 08-21-2010, 11:47 AM

15,490 posts, read 40,186,319 times
Quote:
Thanks for any help.
Not sure that this has anything to do with your FSBO status personally. It might, but I can also tell you that real estate agents are, generally speaking, a stressed bunch. The amount of rudeness I experience as an agent has increased in the past year.

Most of my transactions are really difficult these days. When you have two professional agents on both sides there are still many glitches due to underwriting. Having to deal directly with a seller on a difficult transaction won't give agents the warm fuzzies.

Unless you are selling a ton of homes as an experienced investor, I am not sure you can reassure an agent that everything is taken care of on your end. Underwriting is just a mess these days.

Old 08-21-2010, 12:01 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,889,971 times
Quote:
Thanks for any help.
I'm curious about what you are considering abrupt & rude. Can you cite an example please?

I know that when I call to schedule an appointment, I get straight to the point, and don't bother with idle chit chat or small talk; "Hi, have I reached Mrs. or Mr. Homeowner? This is Bill Keegan from XXX company. I'd like to show your house tomorrow afternoon at around 3:00. Is that ok with you? Is there a lockbox on the door, or will you be at home?" I hope that's not something you would consider abrupt or rude.

Old 08-21-2010, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
I'm curious about what you are considering abrupt & rude. Can you cite an example please?
You gotta wonder also if she's reading the people wrong. If Bill from NJ moved to TX and was more high strung then the laid back Texan, it may appear as being rude. Just like us slow talking southern boys come off as idiots cause we can't pronounce words like Nuclear. I felt George B's pain when people made fun of his lack of proper pronunciation skills.

My wife worked for Chase Bank here in DFW for years, they brought in a new boss from their NYC management who felt if you didn't yell, cuss and scream it meant you didn't care. He thought everyone here was rude cause they gave him those funny looks and mentally called him names.

He didn't understand it wasn't them, it was him.

Old 08-21-2010, 02:26 PM

1,024 posts, read 4,122,054 times
There's really no excuse for rudeness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals