Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 04:20 PM

17,422 posts, read 14,642,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigep739 View Post
Unfortunately, real estate agents and brokers are a dime a dozen. I looked up ONE office the other day (not one firm, but literally just a single office), and there were 107 agents. As a license RE agent myself, I think it is important to consider how your product is going to differ from others. Why would people trust you over others?

Personally, I am going the mortgage route. It is a LOT more regulated... and now, even harder to get in to (especially when not working for a direct lender). It would also be a career change for me. So, we'll see. I figure 95% of people who buy a house need a mortgage... and most RE agents are not qualified to make loans. So the field is a little narrower. But who knows, there is a lot of pressure on brokers and that could go bye bye too.
I'm expecting those numbers to drop TREMENDOUSLY by the first of the year.

Why?

It's expensive to stay in this business without business. Dues and fees and dues and fees and CE's and office expenses and on and on and on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 06:56 PM

233 posts, read 720,816 times
Residential real estate is vastly different that commercial. I have held a real estate license for over 23 years and have never sold a house, other than my own. If you are going to take the time to learn a new career, you may want to consider commercial property management. In all the years I've been in the business, I've never had a lack of job opportunities due to being a professional in a field that is always needed. Just a thought.

Old 09-21-2010, 06:57 PM

233 posts, read 720,816 times
Sorry, typo....different "than" commercial.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:00 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,199,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaC View Post
Residential real estate is vastly different that commercial. I have held a real estate license for over 23 years and have never sold a house, other than my own. If you are going to take the time to learn a new career, you may want to consider commercial property management. In all the years I've been in the business, I've never had a lack of job opportunities due to being a professional in a field that is always needed. Just a thought.
I don't know - I keep hearing about how commercial is getting ready to take a "whuppin". People like you that are experienced will survive - new people may not.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:22 AM

139 posts, read 832,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
I'm expecting those numbers to drop TREMENDOUSLY by the first of the year.

Why?

It's expensive to stay in this business without business. Dues and fees and dues and fees and CE's and office expenses and on and on and on.
I agree... the same thing with the Mortgage industry. Now, if you're a broker, banker or basically anyone else other than a FDIC lender, you need a mortgage loan originator's license. This is going to stop most, if not all, chumps from jumping in to work for our former favortie company Ameriquest.

I used to hate the mortgage requirements - but now I realize real estate was an industry anyone could jump in and make some money with little knowledge. I think adding reasonable requirements to ensure your representation has at least a little knowledge, is beneficial to the professionals as well as the clients.

Old 10-17-2010, 04:26 PM

4 posts, read 8,919 times
Godbless, I would not even think about becoming a Realtor in today's world. I would go to school and get a degree in something really needed like medical. Being a realtor is incredibly lame. I know it is just my opinion and it may be slanted from my experience of having tried the career at the beginning of the down turn. With technology the MLS is really the last hold that the self employed agent has on the market. These services can and will be done differently in the future. I would stay away.

Old 10-17-2010, 08:31 PM

434 posts, read 1,309,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealMC View Post
Godbless, I would not even think about becoming a Realtor in today's world. I would go to school and get a degree in something really needed like medical. Being a realtor is incredibly lame. I know it is just my opinion and it may be slanted from my experience of having tried the career at the beginning of the down turn. With technology the MLS is really the last hold that the self employed agent has on the market. These services can and will be done differently in the future. I would stay away.
I agree with everything you say, but there's a flip side in regards to the OP's origional question. And even though the thread has seen some days under it's belt it's worth saying that the "middle man becoming obsolete" won't happen. Buyers and Sellers working directly with eachother wasn't working in the past and that's why realtors came into being in early 1900's. The problem is getting the business to support the life style you want. Things are TOUGH right now, I had to take a full time job and do real estate part time now. I have bills to pay and since I don't have another income in the house, things had to change. At least I have free health insurance for a change!

Old 10-17-2010, 11:07 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,311,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop01 View Post

They are sitting a boatload of shadow inventory and really have no reason to release them to the market for various reasons;

There is no need to show them as non-performing assets according to FASB rules - so I think they are just holding them as long as they can.
You and I must be reading different accounting rules. Please point out where you draw this conclusion from. The Comptroller of Currency would be interested as well.

Old 08-27-2012, 07:43 AM

1 posts, read 602 times
real estate sector is truely capital intensive and needs time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals