Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 11:11 PM

1,570 posts, read 5,985,295 times

Advertisements

Here in Colorado we do not have to disclose - in fact we can conceal such a fact. - but in other states such a disclosure is required. You must check state law. Call the state Board of Realtors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 11:22 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
In our area you do not have to disclose suicide, murder, etal, but if asked by the buyer about any of them, then you do have to reveal.

Old 09-17-2010, 11:22 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,946,540 times
Others wonder why people don't trust realtors, it's all about the contract$$$, . .

. . .what about the buyers, this was a violent death and clearly you are aware that asian folks believe in feng shuay (spelling), doesn't anyone care?!. . . so here you are, trying to find a legal loophole to cover your arse, so as to not disclose this most important detail.

Somehow, this will come back to you if you do not disclose.

Old 09-18-2010, 12:36 AM

3,485 posts, read 7,308,235 times
Wow, a question only a realtor would ask. Think about how you'd feel if the same thing happened to you. Trust me, the Koreans are going to come after you with a vengeance if they find out, and certainly they will (from neighbors, or hearsay). Do you really want that? Also Asians love a good bargain so it's not for sure that they will walk away. If they are getting it for an investment property they may not even live in it. There are also ways to bless the home.

Old 09-18-2010, 06:34 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaotix View Post
Others wonder why people don't trust realtors, it's all about the contract$$$,
People need to understand that if disclosure is not required by law it is a decision made by the Executor or family if the suicide is disclosed. We can encourage them to do what's right but It is their call whether to disclose or not.

And yes as a homeowner it is $$$ in or out of your pocket.

Old 09-18-2010, 08:45 AM

1,087 posts, read 1,946,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
People need to understand that if disclosure is not required by law it is a decision made by the Executor or family if the suicide is disclosed. We can encourage them to do what's right but It is their call whether to disclose or not.

And yes as a homeowner it is $$$ in or out of your pocket.
I would bet the farm that a re agent would be opposed to disclosing violent deaths in a home to a potential buyer even if the seller agreed to disclose it.

I understand that sellers are not legally required to disclose in some juris\dictions/states, and although, it would probably shrink the pool of buyers,, some buyers would not care and use it as a negotiation tool to get a good deal, but for the sake of those that do it would be advisable thus the right thing to do, but then again, the right thing does not always win the race, c'est la vie.

Old 09-18-2010, 09:04 AM

Quote:
We sold a suicide house last year and in TX it's not required by law to disclose. We advised the sister (executor) that while it's not required by law since it had been so recent that she should disclose the death.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaotix View Post
I would bet the farm that a re agent would be opposed to disclosing violent deaths in a home to a potential buyer even if the seller agreed to disclose it.
It helps if you would go back and read the thread before you comment. Any good agent would discuss with a seller their options and encourage them to do the right thing. Especially with suicides, the buyer will find out eventually.

When you say "Violent Deaths", what if they did it in a non-violent way such as sleeping pills, carbon monoxide, etc ? Should the non-violent suicide not be disclosed ?

I don't believe suicide is considered by states to be a "Violent Death". Most states I'm aware do require disclosure of violent deaths due to others, crime or deaths caused by the house.

Old 09-18-2010, 09:15 AM

30 posts, read 55,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post
If you were my Realtor, I would fire you in a second. I thought Realtors were well educated individuals who could write a paragraph? For the life of me, I had to read this posting about 5 times to disseminate the question.
If you check the OPs post history you'll see this is not the first time a question has been posted that you would think a Realtor would already know. I wonder whether someone is practicing RE without a license. I'm normally not one to call someone out like this, but the ethics of the OP really bugs me. We've got enough challenges already in this housing market.

Old 09-18-2010, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpatova View Post
If you check the OPs post history you'll see this is not the first time a question has been posted that you would think a Realtor would already know. I wonder whether someone is practicing RE without a license. I'm normally not one to call someone out like this, but the ethics of the OP really bugs me. We've got enough challenges already in this housing market.
Jim, I do believe you are right. No agent is going to come on a public forum and ask questions to the public that should be handled through her local or state resources.

I've seen a lot of rookie mistakes, this person is IMO not an agent.

Old 09-18-2010, 09:37 AM

1,339 posts, read 3,465,319 times
Quote:
Jim, I do believe you are right. No agent is going to come on a public forum and ask questions to the public that should be handled through her local or state resources.

I've seen a lot of rookie mistakes, this person is IMO not an agent.
Could the OP really be the seller who is wondering if he/she should disclose the suicide to the RE agent out of concern that if the RE reveals this to buyers, the sale might never go through?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals