U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-06-2010, 10:27 AM

385 posts, read 690,331 times
Default Can a seller call a buyer's agent directly?

Our house is for sale - we had an offer. Our agent sent a curt e-mail to buyer's agent and said was ok to forward to buyer. We've since lost the buyer... My husband and I would like to work this out, and have asked our agent to contact buyers agent. He said he did, but buyer will be back in town in Nov. and will maybe look at our house again.

I'm very confused as to what's going on - can I call the buyer's agent directly and talk to her, we'd REALLY like to come to terms and sell the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2010, 10:37 AM

8,585 posts, read 18,727,491 times
You have probably agreed to conduct all negotiations with your agent. Why would your agent send a "curt" email?

There are no rules about contacting the buyer. You may have their address on the offer. You could also direct your agent to write an offer, you sign and then ask the buyer's agent to present it.

Old 10-06-2010, 10:52 AM

17,580 posts, read 19,955,756 times
Sounds like maybe you need to contact your agent's boss.

Old 10-06-2010, 10:54 AM

5,367 posts, read 10,235,040 times
It depends. In my area, if buyer and seller both have agents, the agents can get in BIG trouble for talking to the opposite client directly without specific permission from that clients agent. So the conversation usually lasts about 10 seconds and is just the agent telling the opposite client to go through their agent.

Old 10-07-2010, 04:14 PM

6,047 posts, read 11,145,009 times
If I represented a buyer and the seller called me directly, I would politely ask them to talk with their agent and pretty much refuse to have a conversation with them. I would then call the sellers agent and let them know that the seller had called me directly. I believe that this would be the proper course to follow and is addressed in the Realtor code of ethics.

Old 10-08-2010, 07:51 AM

4,317 posts, read 7,926,712 times
Technically, yes, a buyer or seller can contact the other side. However, their own agent cannot suggest or recommend it and they probably prefer you not. The other agent shouldn't really talk with you, but if you made the initial contact, it would be rude of them to hang up. KEEP IN MIND that the buyer's agent will use everything you say against you and you might be looking at an even worse situation. You're about to put all your cards on the table. Do you really want to do that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals