Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 06:43 AM

19,432 posts, read 27,815,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin1975 View Post

I get a call for a last second showing today and my clients turned it down. Making the unit even more difficult to show now.

The sellers refused to show the condo for a second showing? And they don't keep the place clean and nearly ready to show all the time? I'm not a realtor, but that sounds like a great way to NOT sell a property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 07:49 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,774,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin1975 View Post
I am having a problem with one of my condo listings. The last 4 showing appointments I had, the realtors all no showed with no phone call. My clients are going out of their way to clean and not be home for the showings. I don't get the lack of professionalism and courtesy by the other agents. There isn't any major defect that would cause an agent to pull up and not want to see the interior.

I am already having problems getting the unit shown, as my clients aren't very neat and need advance notice to show. We haven't had a lot of showings, and they have even turned down a few. Its on a lockbox and its difficult for me accompany all the showings, as I am a little out of the area.

Anyone else experienced this? Do I have to start calling these agents' managers and complain to them?
It's reasonable to put in the showing instructions to give 1-hour, or 2-hour notice to show.

The showing agents should call and cancel if they don't show, as a courtesy. However, I would tell my sellers that this happens sometimes, and to not be upset about it. I would not go to the agents broker.

The reason.....that same agent may come back again with a buyer who wants to make an offer. If you have complained to his broker, then the agent may get his buyer to skip the home. If they do see it and offer, then you have two agents who are angry with each other, and that may hinder any negotiations.

For my listings, I have the agents call me for easy showing instructions. That way they can ask me any questions they need answered; and any question could give me a hint as to what the buyer needs, which gives me ammunition in any future negotiation.

A question they ask may give me the opportunity to point out a feature of the home that appears to be important to the buyer. Through this brief initial conversation we will have established a basis for a friendly working relationship; plus I've learned something about the potential buyer, and have been able to relay some information about an important feature. I also ask them if they will give me feedback after the showing. Every one has agreed and followed through after I send them the email requesting the feedback.

I have an occasional no-show
, but I know that is to be expected. I don't let it upset me, and try to not let it upset my client. If they call back to show another buyer, I'll still be on that friendly professional level with them in case we have the opportunity to negotiate a transaction.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
The sellers refused to show the condo for a second showing? And they don't keep the place clean and nearly ready to show all the time? I'm not a realtor, but that sounds like a great way to NOT sell a property.
I think he meant that it was someone wanting to see the house at the last-second, or very short notice.

Old 04-15-2012, 05:09 AM

19,432 posts, read 27,815,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
I think he meant that it was
someone wanting to see the house at the last-second, or very short notice.
You may be right. Regardless, refusing to show the condo and letting it get messy just seems like a pretty poor effort to sell the condo.

Old 04-15-2012, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
You may be right. Regardless, refusing to show the condo and letting it get messy just seems like a pretty poor effort to sell the condo.
Agreed

Old 04-23-2012, 07:46 AM

3 posts, read 15,221 times
Default Re: Agents who are no-shows and don't call after making an appointment

No problem with my property. It is very popular, was professionally decorated by the same decorator who decorated The Bozzuto Model Homes and is clean enough to literally eat off the floor on any given day!
In fact, it is under contract now for an excellent price. There was a bidding war with 3 people and an escalation clause was invoked.

And my reply to the agent who makes the excuse: "Agents may pull up to a house and we don't call because things happen: clients say they don't want to look, or get sick, cancel, run late, etc".

I understand. we are all human. BUT YOU (THE AGENT) STILL HAVE THE DUTY TO BE COURTEOUS AND CALL CSS OR THE SELLER TO LET THEM KNOW YOUR CLIENTS CHANGED THEIR MIND AND YOU WILL NOT BE COMING! EVERYONE HAS A CELL PHONE. IN 2012 THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR A NO CALL/NO SHOW. PERIOD.

EVEN IF YOU ARE IN FRONT OF THE HOUSE AND YOUR CLIENT DECIDES NOT TO GO IN.

I DON'T CARE WHAT YOUR REASON IS. YOU SHOULD CALL.

CALLING TO CANCEL IS SO ALSO IS AN EXAMPLE OF YOUR PROFESSIONALISM. (OR LACK THEREOF).

Also, sellers:
If an agent does not call and is a no show, call CSS back and report it to them. CSS keeps a log of all appointments including no shows (if seller's report it them) CSS sends your sellers agent showing reports by email and your seller's agent will see that log.

If you experience a repetitive no show problem with a buyer's agent, you can also call CSS back, ask who the agent was, ban the agent from showing your home again, or tell the agent they must call your seller's agent if they want to show, or call that agent's broker to complain. (yes, it may make that agent not want to show your home again, but if they are repeat no call/no show offenders, who cares).

You can also blog/post notice on the internet about names of real estate agents on the internet who don't call/no show, to warn other potential buyers and seller's of the unprofessional nature of that agent.

Bad publicity for agents will not get them future clients/sales, and it will help others know how unprofessional that agent is before they contact them. It may make customers think twice, before they consider using them to buy or sell a home.

Last edited by k9doglover; 04-23-2012 at 07:48 AM.. Reason: Finish sentence.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:04 AM

10,966 posts, read 21,974,961 times
Good point on the no shows is occasionally we pull up and they don't like the way it looks. We saw it, just didn't go inside. No point in going inside if they hate the outside.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:50 AM

487 posts, read 1,357,785 times
If the house was priced lower you would have people queuing up outside and arguing about who got there first.
If the House was priced lower there would be no ambiguity about seeing it.
The House would be near the top of every buyers list.

Old 04-23-2012, 05:24 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,162,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Good point on the no shows is occasionally we pull up and they don't like the way it looks. We saw it, just didn't go inside. No point in going inside if they hate the outside.
This happens quite a lot. I've had couples go to the front door and then walk away.

Or 2 steps in and the smell is overwhelming.

Or they don't like the freeway / power lines that runs thru the backyard.

Or the house next door has 4 cars and a bus in the front yard

Or because the big dogs in the yard or the barking dogs that greet us at the door.

Or the Gun range 2 blocks away that sounds like a war zone on Saturdays. (Actually happened)

Or it's listed as a 2 story but really just a 1 story (or vice versa)

So in short, there are thousands of buyers and thousands of reasons they don't want to go inside your home.

Did I mention cigarette smoke, cats, the smell of Curry and the Walmart behind the house ?

Old 04-23-2012, 08:23 PM

185 posts, read 335,321 times
It would be wise for some of the real estate agents to put themselves in the sellers' shoes instead of repeating worthless excuses. Just because this unprofessional behavior is common does not mean it should be perpetuated. Just as you called to request permission to show, which effectively is a seller allowing you an opportunity to earn a commission paid by them in most cases, the same courtesy should be extended to let them know that you won't be coming by.

All it takes is to say "Mr/Mrs. Seller, I'm calling to cancel our previously scheduled showing, it didn't fit my clients needs. Thanks and I'll keep this home in mind for other buyers." This takes 10-15 seconds including dailing the number. If one can't do this, they should not mind being called unprofessional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals