Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2010, 12:52 PM

487 posts, read 1,353,884 times

Advertisements

Im a Buyer in Virginia
A Realtor who we are no longer working with showed us a home.
Now 4 or 5 months later we are working with another realtor and the price of this home has come down to a point where we are considering it again.

We found this home on the internet and contacted the first realtor to show it to us. There was only one showing. No paperwork.

We are thinking about going back for a second look with our current realtor.

Has enough time lapsed so that the first realtor wont have any claim on commissions in case we do purchase?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2010, 12:55 PM

15,494 posts, read 40,190,180 times
The first Realtor can always claim, but procuring cause is about an unbroken chain of events that lead to the sale of that home. Clearly the chain was broken several months ago.

Go ahead with your new agent.

Old 12-12-2010, 07:27 PM

17,574 posts, read 45,978,079 times
Did you tell your current realtor you visited the house previously with a different realtor?

Old 12-12-2010, 07:42 PM

40,919 posts, read 48,840,861 times
You and your current agent should have no problem. Sign a Buyers rep agreement for Representation with your current agent and make them your official agent.

As Silverfall mentioned plenty of time has elapsed. The old agent will probably never know you bought the house anyway.

Old 12-15-2010, 01:50 PM

20 posts, read 107,884 times
You should look at your Buyer's agreement you signed with your first Realtor to see what ending date of the contract is - there may be implications of buying a home he/she has already shown you.

Old 12-19-2010, 08:47 AM

487 posts, read 1,353,884 times
There never was a buyers agreement with either Realtor.
But I would like to delve into this "procuring cause" concept.
What constitutes procuring cause?

A) If a realtor finds me a house, and shows it to me is that procuring cause?
I'm thinking probably yes.

B) What about if I find a house on the internet, call a local Realtor, ask to see the house, and they show it to us. Period. no second showing, agreement or offer made.
Is that procuring cause?
If so, In this second scenario how long would the Realtor have a lock on us with the procuring cause?
one week? one month? three months?

Say we saw a home once, (scenario B) then a month later the price gets adjusted downward. and we want to take a second look.
The Realtor who originally showed us the house (once) is busy with the holidays.
Can we use another realtor without the first one calling foul and invoking the procuring cause argument?

Old 12-19-2010, 10:45 AM

11,815 posts, read 34,276,866 times
Procuring cause is an unbroken chain of events leading up to a offer and hopefully a contract.

If you see a house you wish to view again in order to make an offer and the licensee who showed it to is busy, they will make arrangements with a colleague to show it to you.

If you wish to have your own representation, interview several and choose one, sign an agreement.

If you don't care about who gets paid or if your interests are represented - call whomever and write an offer. Let all the people you have worked with sort it out.

Old 12-19-2010, 03:19 PM

15,494 posts, read 40,190,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger37708 View Post
There never was a buyers agreement with either Realtor.
But I would like to delve into this "procuring cause" concept.
What constitutes procuring cause?

A) If a realtor finds me a house, and shows it to me is that procuring cause?
I'm thinking probably yes.

B) What about if I find a house on the internet, call a local Realtor, ask to see the house, and they show it to us. Period. no second showing, agreement or offer made.
Is that procuring cause?
If so, In this second scenario how long would the Realtor have a lock on us with the procuring cause?
one week? one month? three months?

Say we saw a home once, (scenario B) then a month later the price gets adjusted downward. and we want to take a second look.
The Realtor who originally showed us the house (once) is busy with the holidays.
Can we use another realtor without the first one calling foul and invoking the procuring cause argument?

YOU are NOT tied to procuring cause. That is a matter between agents. If you like your new agent move forward with them and don't worry about it. It's always nice when you tell your agent that another agent originally showed you the house, but don't stress about this.

Old 12-20-2010, 02:31 PM

4 posts, read 22,117 times
If the first agent has not contacted you in some time, it may be considered abandonment. As Silverfall states in the above post, procuring cause is between agents. The client is not tied to it. A procuring cause claim by a Realtor is handled at the local Association of Realtors by a board of peers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals