Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2008, 10:28 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Should be no different than any other profession . Even Doctors practice on their patients , that how they learn...........by taking care of the customer. Those looking for quick profits , cut corners , and , it shows. Any contract should be balanced, and , be a win-win for both parties , if not , move on. Contracts are meant to be broken , when one or the other does not preform. Seller and agent should have equal rights. Exclusives , should be illegal , for any amount of time period.
Again Life is not fair. Get over it.

The ability to make a successful living in RE, the ability to do RE well, and providing good customer service are all differnet things.

Any time they occur together it is a relatively rare event.

Many of the people who make a very good living at Real Estate are not very good at it. And being good at it is not a requirement.

If there is any requirement it is that you cannot be catostrophically bad and make a living at it. But that is real bad.

Of course it is win win...you get the house the RE Agent gets paid. None of that has anything to do with how well he did his job

Contract is a contract. If you don't like it...don't sign it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 06:52 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,933,713 times
Like in any profession , there is the natural desire to band together for the common good of the fold. Thats why there are lobbyists at the State and federal level, however , the trend today , in the eyes of the public, is against 'special interests".
Open entry , free market , are the buzz words of today, and will continue to be the way things go , until , ...sometime in the future...when the pendulum swings the other way , and we have a renewed movement for regulation. I think that the deregulation movement still has a way to go. The Internet has changed the way we all do business. It will take a major overhaul of Government to see any reversal , maybe , a doomsday is around the corner , maybe not, ether way , history repeats itself , stay tuned........

Old 06-25-2008, 07:00 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
stephanieuk, YOU may conspire (or whatever word you want to call it) with some other agents in YOUR area against FSBO's, but not I, and not here. And speaking as a fellow agent, if you do, I'm appalled - it flies in the face of the Code of Ethics to do so.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:49 AM

714 posts, read 1,538,942 times
Texas Horse Lady

Read all the other pages of comments. If you want to honest truth about me..... I have always pointed out FSBO and flat fee listings. But don't turn your head the other way...seriously. If you think the world, or your market is "perfect" maybe you should find a different job. I'm just being realistic, it happens, everyday...all of the time.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:55 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
stephanieuk, I have "read the other pages of comments". And I don't turn my head away, but the fact that there are a few bad apples (and usually the rest of us come to know who they are and deal accordingly) doesn't mean that it is common practice. So the answer would not be "Yes" to the question above. The answer would be, "No, with a few exceptions who lack ethics," as in any other field.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Like in any profession , there is the natural desire to band together for the common good of the fold. Thats why there are lobbyists at the State and federal level, however , the trend today , in the eyes of the public, is against 'special interests".
Open entry , free market , are the buzz words of today, and will continue to be the way things go , until , ...sometime in the future...when the pendulum swings the other way , and we have a renewed movement for regulation. I think that the deregulation movement still has a way to go. The Internet has changed the way we all do business. It will take a major overhaul of Government to see any reversal , maybe , a doomsday is around the corner , maybe not, ether way , history repeats itself , stay tuned........
Lobbyist represent the brokers and the industry...definitely not the agents.

Those looking for open entry and free markets are simply delusional. FSBOs and even discount brokerages are in heavy decline. Can't stand a thin market. Foreclosures wreck FSBOs...the RE Agents get all those who value house above price. FSBOs simply lack exposure in that market. Sure you can list on Craig's List. Who is going to find you? Try an ad in the Paper...who still reads that?

Old 06-25-2008, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Lobbyist represent the brokers and the industry...definitely not the agents.

Those looking for open entry and free markets are simply delusional. FSBOs and even discount brokerages are in heavy decline. Can't stand a thin market. Foreclosures wreck FSBOs...the RE Agents get all those who value house above price. FSBOs simply lack exposure in that market. Sure you can list on Craig's List. Who is going to find you? Try an ad in the Paper...who still reads that?
You are SO wrong... Lobbyist represent the industry, agents , work for the broker , or , maybe you don't need a broker......now , thats deregulation ! You said it , not me..
FSBO can cover a lot of areas. Its not just some poor sole wondering about with no goal, trying to sell his house. The last home I sold was on Ebay , and , for cash. Money talks these days , liquidity is whats its all about in this discounted market. If I had waited around for some " agent" , or Broker , I would still have the place . Way too many real estate agents , and way too many homes for sale these days to set around on your butt and see nothing happen !

Old 06-25-2008, 11:00 AM

Quote:
You are SO wrong... Lobbyist represent the industry, agents , work for the broker , or , maybe you don't need a broker......now , thats deregulation ! You said it , not me..
FSBO can cover a lot of areas. Its not just some poor sole wondering about with no goal, trying to sell his house. The last home I sold was on Ebay , and , for cash. Money talks these days , liquidity is whats its all about in this discounted market. If I had waited around for some " agent" , or Broker , I would still have the place . Way too many real estate agents , and way too many homes for sale these days to set around on your butt and see nothing happen !

But of course. Ebay has two Las Vegas listings...a time share and an overpriced land parcel. That is really going to revolutionize things.

Sorry but Lobbyists work almost exclusively for the Brokers. For instance why do you think licensing is so permissive? Because it is good for the brokers even though it is bad for the agents.

You are simply flailing in the dark.

Old 06-25-2008, 01:58 PM

Quote:
But of course. Ebay has two Las Vegas listings...a time share and an overpriced land parcel. That is really going to revolutionize things.

Sorry but Lobbyists work almost exclusively for the Brokers. For instance why do you think licensing is so permissive? Because it is good for the brokers even though it is bad for the agents.

You are simply flailing in the dark.
Sorry , but I stand by my statement. Talk is cheap , its performance that counts. From personal experience I have sold all my homes in the past , myself. Agents have their place , I do not deny that , however , when you want to get things done , DO IT YOURSELF. I have grown very tired of the dance performed by a lot of the agent community, anything to get a listing , little in the way of attention after. You would be lucky If some of them remember your name ! I pay for performance , thats it !

Old 06-25-2008, 03:26 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:

The ability to make a successful living in RE, the ability to do RE well, and providing good customer service are all differnet things.

Any time they occur together it is a relatively rare event.

Many of the people who make a very good living at Real Estate are not very good at it. And being good at it is not a requirement.

If there is any requirement it is that you cannot be catostrophically bad and make a living at it. But that is real bad.
This is probably the most real statement I have read about the profession. Most of the people who make a very good living at Real Estate are above all else, very good sales people. They are not selling homes. They are selling the homeowner or development management, to use them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals