Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 06:35 AM

257 posts, read 1,131,096 times

Advertisements

Okay here is my deal, I live in Northern VA. Hate it, traffic, weather and the fact that we have alot of illegals that get alot more than i do. I love florida and have loved it for many years. Been there 11 times in 3 years. Im a bit obsessive about it, but its because i want to live in a quiet coastal town there. I have alot of family in VA that are very VERY successful in real estate but they all push me away from the fact that i still want to do it. I dont want to do it full time. Maybe 2-3 showings a week. I am in college right now adn thought of getting the license and keeping it inactive. Any thoughts on that. My thoughts were to simple look good. Specially if i wanted to go to FAU for Real Estate. So here is my plan, I plan on attending University of South Alabama and getting my business minor and geographer major. I want a real estate INACTIVE license to look good and do it part time when i am out of school. How and where and how much does it cost and take to get this. And is really worth it. And does anyone thing if i want to keep it inactive that i should just my appraisal license? seriously any help as far as what i should do and what florida's requirements are and just HELP! lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2007, 07:26 AM

1,010 posts, read 4,910,446 times
How does having an inactive real estate license make you look good? A Real estate license is not like having a country club membership. And from reading many of the posts on here, the general public does not think more highly of you for having a license. I think you need to decide what your true motivation is in becoming a licensed agent. You're either in or out - it's a business that you have to develop - not just something where you think that you want to show a house today but not tomorrow. And you'll need to check into Florida's license requirements, but here in WA if your license is inactive then you can't work as an active agent.

Old 07-13-2007, 07:38 AM

1,378 posts, read 6,210,319 times
Yes, I was thinking the same thing Wendy. You can't work with an inactive license. People want to know that you're working. Once you get the license, it doesn't mean that you will know it all. You will learn a lot by experience. It takes many years to learn the busniess and you will be of no value to your clients if you are not actively working.

You are lucky to have family members in the business that hopefully can help you. I wish I had that opportunity. I'm not convinced that you want to be a realtor just by what you're saying. Honestly when I was your age I wasn't ready to be a realtor either. Now that I'm older and wiser I wish I would have done it sooner. Getting into the real estate business is a great asset for your future. If you work hard you can make good money in addition to saving yourself a lot of money when doing your own real estate transactions.

Old 07-13-2007, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrie View Post
Yes, I was thinking the same thing Wendy. You can't work with an inactive license. People want to know that you're working. Once you get the license, it doesn't mean that you will know it all. You will learn a lot by experience. It takes many years to learn the busniess and you will be of no value to your clients if you are not actively working.

You are lucky to have family members in the business that hopefully can help you. I wish I had that opportunity. I'm not convinced that you want to be a realtor just by what you're saying. Honestly when I was your age I wasn't ready to be a realtor either. Now that I'm older and wiser I wish I would have done it sooner. Getting into the real estate business is a great asset for your future. If you work hard you can make good money in addition to saving yourself a lot of money when doing your own real estate transactions.

i want to keep it inactive for as long as i am in school. Not out. My aunt was the one that told me to do that and she is a residential broker. Specially for applying to a real estate Bachelors at FAU. It would help to say i have either a pre license or an inactive. and you can do it part time. Alot of people do because if you do it full its a 7 day a week job completely taking alot of time and money to get yourself planted. I do want to do real estate/planning. But i wanted to get it, keep up with the license and then when i graduate use it towards whatever else i am doing. Is it still a no go?

Old 07-13-2007, 08:08 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,336,894 times
I don't know about other states, only mine, but if your license is in "inactive" status, you can't work part time. In order to work it must be in "active" status with a broker "holding" your license. To be in active status you will need to pay your MLS fees, etc. It would be pretty costly in terms of time and money to keep switching the status of your license. One also must have a broker's license and 2000 hours of on the job training in my state to get an appraiser's license.

I'm really confused by your posts. Are you going to the Univ of S Alabama for geography and business or are you going to FAU for a degree in real estate? I live in a town with a major university. Students are admitted to the well respected business school based upon their academic abilities, not whether they have a real estate license.

I would suggest a google search for FL real esate licensing laws.

Old 07-13-2007, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
I don't know about other states, only mine, but if your license is in "inactive" status, you can't work part time. In order to work it must be in "active" status with a broker "holding" your license. To be in active status you will need to pay your MLS fees, etc. It would be pretty costly in terms of time and money to keep switching the status of your license. One also must have a broker's license and 2000 hours of on the job training in my state to get an appraiser's license.

I'm really confused by your posts. Are you going to the Univ of S Alabama for geography and business or are you going to FAU for a degree in real estate? I live in a town with a major university. Students are admitted to the well respected business school based upon their academic abilities, not whether they have a real estate license.

I would suggest a google search for FL real esate licensing laws.
okay let me try to make this clearer, I am going to U South this year. I want to keep it inactive for as long as i am in school and NOT work. the department of real estate at FAU said you go through licensing through their program and that if i had one it would knock out alot of classes and money. FAU is where i want to end up. but cannot afford or have the credits to get into yet. So essentially, an inactive real estate license is for classes and credits directed towards my real estate bachelors at FAU. Geography and Business, is something i have already been working towards. and U south is a place where I can do that while working towards FAU. sorry for such the confusion.

Old 07-13-2007, 08:55 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,336,894 times
Does FAU require that be a FL license in order to receive credit? If so, how wil you acquire the FL license? Does the state of FL require residency for a license?

Old 07-13-2007, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Does FAU require that be a FL license in order to receive credit? If so, how wil you acquire the FL license? Does the state of FL require residency for a license?

no i was actually reading about it here a few months ago, you can go through one of their schools online for a costly price, and then when you have to take the state exam you schedule for a place yes in florida and then you can have it. FAU does not REQUIRE it, but its definitely not a bad thing to have specially me being a transfer student and playing the whole game of what i might lose and what will stay as far as credits. Thats a planted license, and for that state no matter who i get it through in that state, the requirements are the same. Transfering sucks thats why if i had that i would have felt more comfortable having a backbone license and then just finish out the requirements for their degree program

Old 07-13-2007, 09:06 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,725,343 times
Real estate is a FULL TIME JOB. How do you expect to serve your client's interest 2 or 3 days a week??? I would not hire someone who could not work according to my schedule. How would you feel if a client sees a house that they want to buy on a thursday and you are not available to show it until Sunday? A lot can happen between those days such as the house being purchased by another party. If you don't take the job seriously, no one is going to take you seriously.

Old 07-13-2007, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Real estate is a FULL TIME JOB. How do you expect to serve your client's interest 2 or 3 days a week??? I would not hire someone who could not work according to my schedule. How would you feel if a client sees a house that they want to buy on a thursday and you are not available to show it until Sunday? A lot can happen between those days such as the house being purchased by another party. If you don't take the job seriously, no one is going to take you seriously.

I never said i was not going to take it seriously, im 20 and already im looking into every possible thing and how to get it. Im taking it very seriously. VA must be different because i have coworkers and family members that work part time showing whent he CUSTOMER wants to be shown a place working for ERA Champion and everyone of them make well over 150. It comes and goes as far as paychecks you dont get one or you can make 10 grand in a month. I just need advice, not to be told that i am taking it seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals