Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 12:05 PM

119 posts, read 387,550 times

Advertisements

1. First picture is not front exterior, or incredible view.
2. No pics of kitchen and master bath. Show stove and shower please!
3. Lots of pictures of a box with a bed (featureless bedroom, don't bother)
4. Clutter, clutter, clutter and unmade beds.
5. Too many neighborhood pics. Pick one if you must.

Really, as a potential buyer, I am shocked at some of the pictures I see, even on high end homes. Can sellers really not see how bathroom counter covered with medication bottles, makeup, deodorant and other personal hygiene equipment makes me hit the delete button?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 12:12 PM

2,013 posts, read 3,547,471 times
Only 1 or 2 pictures really turns me off. No outside pictures of the house also turns me off big time.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:18 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
It's hard to include a picture of a master bathroom if you don't have one ...

Old 01-11-2011, 12:44 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,541,770 times
My vote for the big turnoff:

a few shots of the bathroom with the toilet seat UP

Old 01-11-2011, 02:16 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,026,260 times
I've seen a bunch of pictures where I think the Realtor must be a dumb@*&. If they were my Realtor I'd look at the pics and either demand him/her use my own or fire him/her.

My turn offs

10 pics or less
Thumbnail size pics
Cluttered in every pic

Old 01-11-2011, 02:24 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,105,330 times
I just love these.

The tall plastic kitchen garbage can out in the open full with goob dripping down the side of it.

Pictures of animals. It isn't a good idea to let everyone know you have 3 big dogs and 4 cats living in the house.

For the record these were not my listings and I am a much better Realtor than that.

Old 01-11-2011, 04:23 PM

1,846 posts, read 3,940,305 times
My realtor takes his pics of houses himself, and doesn't make any of the mistakes listed above. He is a fabulous photographer. He gives all the credit to Photoshop, though I doubt that is all there is to it.

One reason they are so good is that he uses LIGHT to his advantage. No dark rooms, and no rooms with one blindingly bright window and the rest of the room looking dark. A person should be able to see the room.

I am not an expert but I think the worst mistake that some people make, is photographing the furniture instead of the room. Photograph fireplaces, arches, interesting architectural details, or granite countertops, not that great armoire in the corner, in other words. And I don't really care about that hideous purple and red plaid sofa.

I love a stand-alone shower and one of my pet peeves is that often the shower isn't shown in the photos, or only part of it is shown. Even if it is a small shower it would be nice to see if it is tile, or one of those plastic shower surrounds, or what. I suppose most people must prefer bathtubs but don't forget us shower people. LOL

Old 01-11-2011, 04:28 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,505,594 times
I agree except for #5. The neighborhood is as important as the house, just as the lot is as important as the house. Nothing worse to me than a sugar cube house on a postage stamp lot right next to a whole lot of other sugar cubes.

I want lots of pictures of the clean house, but show me what's going on outside too.

Old 01-11-2011, 04:36 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,223,538 times
I agree with you, Debsi!

Nothing makes me madder than carefully contrived shots of an otherwise dynamite listing I'm hot to follow up on that, when viewed in person, do not show the towering McMansion just five feet away.

I've even SPECIFIED on search features that I want to look at BIG LOTS with the houses having good separation from the neighbors so I can have peace and quiet.

Doesn't matter. I get the little cubes next to big cubes anyway.

(Yes, I solved the problem by moving into a so-so house on TWO ACRES.)

Old 01-11-2011, 05:11 PM

119 posts, read 387,550 times
My reason for limiting neighborhood pics is there is usually a limited number, and I can check out the neighborhood on google maps. If there are plenty of pics (at least 10 or 12) then by all means show off special things in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals