Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 12:11 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,427,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbiggs View Post
So you are saying that Brandon Hoffman is shady? Brandon Hoffman's comment of risk was describing his own risk as a response to the OP. You have not provided any new explanation as to the contention that agents have a lot more risk selling a $500K home versus a $100K home. It is all the same. If an agent is properly doing their job there is no risk!

You also display another issue with real estate buying and selling in that agents like to paint the process as mystical, dangerous and adversarial. Real estate buying and selling is none of these if the parties involved know what they are doing and deal honestly with each other. That includes agents as well!
I'm not exactly sure what you're talking about, as I made no mention of him, nor do I know him. But what I DO know is that you're very intent on trying to paint yourself as a know-it-all in the business, and are attempting to act like you know more than those of us here that do it for a living.

As much as it sucks, there are a TON of unethical buyers, sellers and realtors out there. The majority of us that do a lot of business do it with the highest of ethics. However, as truthful and ethical as you try to be, there's always an idiot out there that isn't, and they're the ones you need to look out for.

You're very clear on your disdain for Realtors, their lack of ability to help you and the fact that we make too much, so here's a way to deal with it....DON'T USE ONE!

Stop complaining because you obviously don't know what you're talking about. Just don't use one. It's your right.

You're just intent on starting a flame war, so I don't see a reason to respond to any more of your posts, as they serve no purpose.

If folks didn't think we were worth the money, they wouldn't pay us for our expertise. If it's so easy, get a license and try to make a living. You'd have your eyes opened up really quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 01:19 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times
There was a thread on this a while back talking about commissions on more expensive homes. Someone posted about how they charge a tiered %. I don't remember the exact numbers, but something along the lines of 6% on the first $400,000, 5% on the next $100,000 and so on. It seemed like a pretty logical method.

Old 01-31-2011, 03:01 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,309,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
There was a thread on this a while back talking about commissions on more expensive homes. Someone posted about how they charge a tiered %. I don't remember the exact numbers, but something along the lines of 6% on the first $400,000, 5% on the next $100,000 and so on. It seemed like a pretty logical method.
That was me (amongst others).

My Errors and Omissions Insurance is based on the number of transactions and gross selling prices, so if I sell higher end homes, my rate goes up. At least the insurance companies perceive a higher risk for a higher priced home.

I'm like Brandon, I spend about the same at Realtor.com and am also spending more on internet advertising than I did on print and internet advertising 5 years ago.

Old 01-31-2011, 03:38 PM

896 posts, read 1,476,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
there's an art and true talent that goes into selling luxury homes, and a lot of Realtors don't have what it takes.
Exactly. It is like trying to whistle "Dixie" out of your bxtt. Some people can do it, and some cannot.

Old 01-31-2011, 05:26 PM

574 posts, read 1,640,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
It was a little oddly funny the first time, but more sad than funny when repeated.

It is sad that many businesses, and business people do not understand that if they perform ethically, honestly, and with integrity the first time around there is nothing to worry about.

There is an astounding level of underlying naivete or disingenuousness displayed in this statement.

Yes but not on my part. I have an in depth understanding of business and business management. Any operation I manage or run is operated well within the laws and rules for that business and with an emphasis on consumer protection. Those that purchase the products and services of the businesses I am responsible for have no fear of dealing with the products and services. It would certainly be nice to see more businesses operate this way.

Risk is firmly rooted in subjectivity. And people can be sued when they have done their jobs well, can't they?

It is sad that in our litigious society anybody can sue anyone or any business at any time and the defendant still has to defend themselves. But the reality is, whether you choose to accept it or not, if a business is run ethically, within all laws and rules, with integrity and genuine concern for the consumer then there is no liability as the defense is simple. It is the business that tries to take advantage of the consumer that has a difficult time, if at all, defending themselves.
Answers in blue italics above and congratulations on the use of $50 words.

Old 01-31-2011, 05:41 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,983,290 times
Time to stop feeding the trolls.

Old 01-31-2011, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
Anyone can be sued, even if doing their job well, but realtors, and the rest of us will be able defend our actions without fear if we do the right thing from the beginning. Sadly, there are predators out there who should be sued which makes people like me very cautious about who I do business with. For the realtors out there who do it right and explain the process to their clients a big thank you. You are the ones who will be around next year when others are tossed out of business. My emotionally unstable realtor neighbor told me one day that she is the one who sues her clients. Run don't walk away from her!
You are 100% correct regarding not having any fear. Yes there are good agents out there operating and unfortunately more bad than good! As for tossing the bad ones out of the business unfortunately that happens far to infrequently than it should. That same unfortunate condition goes for many other professions as well.

One of the problems with the lack of purging any professionally licensed person are the governmental entities that are responsible for creating and enforcing their professional licensing laws. Many of these agencies have much to much leeway on how a licensee will be disciplined. A good example of this are the recent spate of agent licensees in California that have been allowed to retain their licenses after being convicted of felony charges related to the real estate field. California is just an example but this happens in many States. Those individuals should have had their license revoked and never been allowed to apply for any other real estate related license. That might sound like a tough action but once a person displays they are willing to commit felonious activities why should they be given a chance to repeat it on another unsuspecting consumer?

Another major problem with any professionally licensed field is the failure of its own members to police themselves. Nobody in a professional field knows better than another licensee when illegal or improper actions are occurring by another licensee. Yet for all their required ethical canons, claims of integrity, etc., many professionals refuse to do the right thing and turn other licensees into their license board. It is sad but many of those bad agents for example could be purged from the field a whole lot quicker if other agents would police their own.

You are correct again that you must be very cautious anymore who you deal with. It is very discouraging that we have drifted so far from the days when a handshake and a persons word was better than any written piece of paper.

Old 01-31-2011, 06:02 PM

43,281 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
Answers in blue italics above and congratulations on the use of $50 words.
My bad.
Take two and call me in the morning.

Business liability considerations revolve around recognizing and managing risk, controlling risk, keeping risk at an acceptable level, yet being able to function profitably.
Ethics, honor, and integrity are very important personal values to me, and are not an impenetrable shield in court.

An attorney will tell you he can make you bulletproof from liability. And irrelevant and impoverished, as no one will do business with your endless disclaimers and unwillingness to offer value.
Defense may appear to be simple. Results are not guaranteed when another party is enlisted to judge.
And defense is itself a risk including subjective decisions and risk of loss of reputation, time, and costs that are not recoverable in defense.

To say that a business can be operated free of risk is laughable.

Old 01-31-2011, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
I'm not exactly sure what you're talking about, as I made no mention of him, nor do I know him. But what I DO know is that you're very intent on trying to paint yourself as a know-it-all in the business, and are attempting to act like you know more than those of us here that do it for a living.

I'm certainly not acting like a know-it-all and instead just providing fatcs and different views to other consumers who might not fully understand the real estate field. I do know quite a bit about real estate and anybody with any common sense and average intelligence can handle any of their own real estate needs. If real estate was so mythical and difficult then why is there well over a million licensed agents in the US? I have read a lot of various State's real estate license requirements and have found none that require more than a High School diploma and a course of study to obtain a real estate license.

As much as it sucks, there are a TON of unethical buyers, sellers and realtors out there. The majority of us that do a lot of business do it with the highest of ethics. However, as truthful and ethical as you try to be, there's always an idiot out there that isn't, and they're the ones you need to look out for.

Yes I certainly agree with that. The real estate process has turned so adversarial that the results are clearly evident. If we can get back to basics in this country then much of that behavior can be easily dealt with and potentially disappear.

You're very clear on your disdain for Realtors, their lack of ability to help you and the fact that we make too much, so here's a way to deal with it....DON'T USE ONE!

The only disdain I have for real estate participants are for the dishonest ones. I actually know quite a few good participants but they are currently hurting as they are trying to hold onto their ethics and integrity and at the same time compete with the unethical and less than honest participants.

Stop complaining because you obviously don't know what you're talking about. Just don't use one. It's your right.

You're just intent on starting a flame war, so I don't see a reason to respond to any more of your posts, as they serve no purpose.

I believe the BB has an "Ignore" function. Place me on the your ignore list and you certainly do not have to worry about your fears.

If folks didn't think we were worth the money, they wouldn't pay us for our expertise. If it's so easy, get a license and try to make a living. You'd have your eyes opened up really quickly.

Folks pay real estate participants because it is the way it has been done for many, many years. Many consumers today are realizing that the only thing they need when selling a home is access to the MLS, access to rental of a keybox, and a few other items/products that are locked out to anyone but real estate agents et al. As a result the "Discount Broker" has come on the scene to provide these consumers access to those items. The discount brokerage houses see a valid need that traditional brokerages fail to see. If traditional brokerages opened their services to this segment of the consumers they would be able to not only acquire additional clients but also potentially those consumers who thought they could do it but can not and hence finally use the other "Full Service" and commissioned offerings.
Responses in blue italics.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:33 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,983,290 times
Quote:
I'm certainly not acting like a know-it-all and instead just providing fatcs
I stopped reading at that point. You are offering your opinions trying to pass them as fact. I can only hope your "facts" don't lead consumers to ill-informed decisions they regret later. That is the only reason I'm even responding at all to your posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals