Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 07:06 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,509,368 times

Advertisements

Reason I ask is my cousin's house just sold and a house near me that's been vacant over 2 years sold, too. My house is off the market till March 1st. Hopefully most of the snow will be gone by then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2011, 07:57 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default Check with local real estate agents to be sure, but listing earlier may be wise...

In my area, suburban Chicago, I have noticed a a nice uptick in activity that corresponds with the wrap up of the Super Bowl going back 20+ years. Some of this due to weather, but I think more of it driven by lifestyle and social concerns. Sellers have the motivation to list and buyers are ready to shop.

The only time this was violated in recent memory was after the most recent presidential election, when the media spent so much energy making people we were headed for economic Armegedeon...

I think it is smart to get a bit of jump on those that wait, as the nicest house shown when the inventory is a little tighter tend to make a better impression than when there is an avalanche of new listing. Agents open houses and such still can help to get the buzz of a well priced, beautifully staged, home ahead of the crowd...

Good Luck!

Old 01-29-2011, 10:12 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
I'm in Raleigh, NC and I have noticed many of the agents at my office are getting busier.

I've actually had a listing on the market for 9 months (feels like I'm about to deliver...yes, it has been that long) that has had 3 showings in the last week after having none for 2 months! Got one agent saying she has interested buyers. Please.

I've also had a few new people calling about buying. Maybe buyers are just tired of waiting. Interest rates are still very low and they still have to live somewhere!

Vicki

Old 01-29-2011, 11:47 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,311,234 times
We went from no closings in 90 days to 2 closings so far this year and 5 more in escrow. We're also talking to 4 other clients who are in a buying mood. We're also seeing folks buying land. There were 2 land transactions in our entire service area last year and the buyers were buying adjacent properties to what they already owned.

I have no explanation for it, but I'm sure not complaining.

Old 01-29-2011, 11:50 AM

265 posts, read 952,819 times
January tends to be busier since the holidays are over and spring is around the corner. Rates are still great as well. Also with the Ft. Belvior BRAC movement in Northern Virginia many people are starting to move to the area.

Old 01-29-2011, 03:28 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
Could simply be "acceptance" that the market is what it is; and people are realizing it IS a great time to buy. You know the old saying, "If you snooze, you lose".

Old 01-29-2011, 04:47 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,743,344 times
Last year was pretty active down here (Florida) and it seems to be increasing now. We definitely need it. I never saw as many cash buyers as I did last year and I've been working with more buyers than normal who are considering either a relocation or a second home. I think it's a combination of lower prices, low rates and an awful winter up north...plus pent up demand.

Old 01-29-2011, 09:40 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,397,703 times
We are also seeing a little more activity in the past few months. Mostly homes or condos that the buyer is going to live in. (We do have a lot of 2nd homes here in this area perhaps more than some parts of the country). I have 4 or 5 clients whom I am watching for a listing in their perameters. Even had a cold walkin off the street 3 months ago whom I helped and within days we were in escrow.

Old 01-29-2011, 11:34 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,985,795 times
Hmmm, so you didn't listen to us about this either? You're home isn't likely to sell if it isn't on the market. It's been steady in my market, but still way down from the peak years. Will you be relisting with your agent that only takes on 6 clients at a time and thinks like you?

Old 01-30-2011, 05:39 AM

82 posts, read 286,792 times
My phone is definitely ringing more here in the suburbs of Phila. As mentioned above it might have something to do with the Iggles not making it the SB, but then how do you explain the many snowfalls and 12" still left on the ground with more coming later this week? A listing of mine that hasn't had showing for months is generating a lot of activity! All in all, a good and very welcome sign of the times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals