Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 03:26 PM

624 posts, read 1,071,479 times

Advertisements

Reading the DNC legislation, I'm finding that surveys are exempt.

If I were to call with the following questions, do you think it will not qualify?

basically, the plan is to call the homeowner and ask them if they would be willing to partincipate in a x question survey.

yes or no.. no, thanks for your time. yes... here we go.

1. how long have you lived in area x?
2. what do you most like and least like about the area?
3. are you thinking of moving within the next 6-12 months?
4. if you were planning on moving, where would you move to and why?

Thanks for your time.

Any problems with Do Not Call on the above?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 03:44 PM

470 posts, read 1,500,271 times
Don't try and game the system. Who or what organization will you say you are representing. How will the results be compiled? If enough people complain about you call with a survey they fell might be a little bogus, that could be a lot of fines.

Old 02-20-2011, 03:47 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,575,100 times
If you keep it strictly to a survey with no sales pitch, you may be OK:

Q&A For Telemarketers & Sellers About DNC Provisions in TSR | BCP Business Center
Quote:
8. If a call includes a telephone survey and a sales pitch, is it covered?
Yes. Callers purporting to take a survey, but also offering to sell goods or services, must comply with the do not call provisions. But if the call is for the sole purpose of conducting a survey, it is exempt.
Of course, most people would want to know why you are asking these questions, and how the info will be used.

Old 02-20-2011, 04:20 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
I know what I think, pretty much automatically, when I answer my phone (which has been on the DNC list since the very first day of its existence) and someone says they're "conducting a survey" and assures me that they're not trying to sell me something when it's clear that's where the survey is going (political surveys are something else, but I DON'T think they should be exempt, because they, too, are trying to sell me something, it's just that they want me to pay with my vote for a candidate or an issue). I assume they are trying to game the system (which you very clearly are, from your questions), and I decline to participate, and I hang up and report them (it is SO quick and easy to do so, takes only moments on the computer).

Old 02-20-2011, 06:00 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,226,172 times
^^^^ This ^^^^

Old 02-20-2011, 06:24 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
What is your intent and purpose ? Are you an agent trying to beat the system? If so please don't, our image hurts enough without people trying to pull a scam.

Please respect peoples privacy.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:23 PM

In all honesty, I feel that do not call is discrimination. Businesses are discriminated against while politicians can do whatever they want legally (not even touching the illegal stuff yet).

same thing with signs. it's illegal to post an open house sign on the public roads, yet, politicians have 'vote for me' signs all over, without any issues.

All of these concerns with not being bothered are all valid but WHY are government and survey's exempt?

Btw, on a separate thread I made a point that NO Agent respects do not call laws. Technically, none of you should be able to call a person that was referred to you by your friend or past client IF that referral is on the DO NOT CALL list AND even if your past client says they are expecting your call.

True, the chances that you'll be reported are slim in that case, but technically, it's a violation.

Some of you asked about the intent. I don't see where the intent matters. The law states that the survey is covered under the DO NOT CALL if the sales pitch is part of the call.

To those asking about how the info will be used, i'll just tell them it's for my information only.

Sounds good?

Btw, I did a search and found this thread
Calling Expired Listings

that post was from Nov. 2007. Does anyone know whether there are actual cases?

I'm wondering if, for the purposes of taking a survey, a person must actually be registered as a survey company.

Also, another thing I'm wondering about, is how these calls are handled. If my number gets reported, for example, as violating DNC, am I guilty until proven innocent? How would I be able to prove that my call was not a sales pitch but a survey call?

Old 02-20-2011, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
What is your intent and purpose ? Are you an agent trying to beat the system? If so please don't, our image hurts enough without people trying to pull a scam.

Please respect peoples privacy.
Exactly.

If Do Not Call is discrimination because political calls are exempt, then the solution is to make them not exempt, not to try to game the system and make the rest of us look bad. There's a reason that agents have a bad reputation with some people, and this kind of behavior is it.

I'm not sure about the process for "proving" that you were an actual survey, though I'm guessing it would have something to do with the use to which you were putting the information (intent). Probably could find that doing a little research, and I just may do it for curiosity's sake. However, I'm pretty sure that if enough people got annoyed with you for insulting their intelligence and trying to scam them (which is what this would be), that would be evidence against you in and of itself.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:43 PM

Well, a pretty quick google led to the source (the FTC website):

Surveys or political polls:
If calls are being made for the sole purpose of conducting a survey or poll, they are exempt. But purported survey calls are not exempt if they are also part of a plan, program or campaign to induce purchases of goods or services. Organizations placing such telemarketing calls must comply with the Do Not Call provisions and are not Exempt Organizations.

That would seem to be pretty clear.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Well, a pretty quick google led to the source (the FTC website):

Surveys or political polls:
If calls are being made for the sole purpose of conducting a survey or poll, they are exempt. But purported survey calls are not exempt if they are also part of a plan, program or campaign to induce purchases of goods or services. Organizations placing such telemarketing calls must comply with the Do Not Call provisions and are not Exempt Organizations.

That would seem to be pretty clear.
So, NAR's surveys are not exempt from DNC? Since you can take their findings and use them in your sales presentation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals