Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2007, 10:15 AM

145 posts, read 643,685 times

Advertisements

If someone could please shed some light on this, I'd appreciate it.

1. Why, on some listings on Realtor.com, is there no ad-copy but when I use the MLS-ID# for that listing and visit anyone of a number of broker websites around Chicago, I do see the ad copy? As a potential buyer, I love reading the ad copy to get a feel for the layout of the place.

2. Why are taxes and assessments not shown on Realtor.com? That makes it so misleading in terms of the monthly outlay that will be required.

Also, right now, I'm looking to hire a realtor and, based on suggestions on this board, am combing through listings on Realtor.com that have a combination of photos, VT, and correctly spelled ad-copy to see how detail oriented an agent is. My favorite so far was something called the "Duplex penHouse". There was also an agent who mis-spelled his own by-line underneath his name! Doesn't say much about his attention to details

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2007, 10:51 AM

1,408 posts, read 8,020,595 times
agents have to pay to add all those extra fancy things like more pictures and video. when you see just one picture and no ad copy it means the agent is only using the free service realtor.com provides (a big pet peeve for me). oh and don't you know a duplex penhouse is a house specifically for your pens! (okay bad joke).

Old 07-27-2007, 12:43 AM

166 posts, read 855,806 times
Default Realtor.com

I agree that the tax information should be displayed, although that too can be misleading. The taxes currently assessed may not be the same for the new owner if they do not qualify for the same exemptions as the current owner or if the sold price varies greatly from the assessed value. The most recent tax amount would at least give you some idea what to expect.

BTW - Realtor.com isn't providing a 'free' service, it's part of the cost of belonging to NAR. As far as what displays on the site - not only do we have to pay for the service of displaying 'extras' like multiple photos - it's become quite pricey. The cost varies by the number of listings you have. Last I checked, it would be over $800 a year to have my 'enhanced' listing information displayed. I do lots of other advertising instead in print and on sites that display all the information including multiple photos and virtual tours.

It's one of my pet peeves too - that the domain name was sold to Move, Inc. and we have to pay to display data that we are providing, but that's neither here nor there and won't be changed. My listings are out there, with the ad copy, the main photo and contact information. Every local board should have it's own site -search there and you'll see all the information.

Old 07-27-2007, 10:04 AM

145 posts, read 643,685 times
Thank you both for your insights. Given the importance of displaying ad copy and financial numbers to prospective buyers, I'm surprised the industry's leading website makes its members pay to publish such basic information. Thanks again though.

Old 07-27-2007, 12:02 PM

13,400 posts, read 28,719,321 times
One of my beefs with realtor & the websites of realtors is they do not list the HOA fees if applicable...how much more could that 1 sentence cost?

Old 07-27-2007, 12:12 PM

1,408 posts, read 8,020,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
One of my beefs with realtor & the websites of realtors is they do not list the HOA fees if applicable...how much more could that 1 sentence cost?
It's not that simple, well it is and it isn't. realtor.com only downloads certain fields (it's a realtor.com programming thing not agent thing) and you cannot customize the fields. However, an agent can include tax information and HOA dues in their own ad copy but again not every agent takes the time to type their own ad copy for realtor.com.

Old 07-27-2007, 12:40 PM

13,400 posts, read 28,719,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfingatwork View Post
It's not that simple, well it is and it isn't. realtor.com only downloads certain fields (it's a realtor.com programming thing not agent thing) and you cannot customize the fields. However, an agent can include tax information and HOA dues in their own ad copy but again not every agent takes the time to type their own ad copy for realtor.com.

Oh ok ..thanks for the info
I would think then on an actual realtor web site they would include this info as it is pertinent information
Very few sites I've visited list this.

Old 07-28-2007, 12:02 AM

166 posts, read 855,806 times
Default Realtor.com

I have that information (tax amount & year, HOA where applicable) on my site(s). Previous post was correct about Realtor.com - they only download certain information. We have limited space in the ad copy, usually run out of room without trying to include those two pieces of info. Realtor.com is a nice-looking site, and a good place to start, but I still think you'll get more information by browsing through sites of the local MLS that you're interested in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals