Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 04:36 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,578,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
...as many folks dumped IE years ago in favor of other browsers....
According to this ranking, IE is still clearly the number one used browser worldwide:

Web browser global ranking | DVD to iPad 2 Blog (http://www.dvd-to-ipad2.net/blog/web-browser-global-ranking/ - broken link)

This should not be surprising, as IE is the default browser installed with Windows. People have to make an effort to switch, which many do, but not most.

Disclaimer - I use Firefox .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 04:42 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,532,935 times
IE has probably gotten better, as I'm told Windows 7 seems to be better then the previous versions.
For many reasons I strongly prefer the Mac world, but I know that is a personal preference, and I am not trying to convert the world.

Nice to have choices.....

Frank

Old 07-19-2011, 05:47 PM

164 posts, read 515,798 times
Quote:
Congrats on your Mac purchase. I left the windoze world 12 years ago and have not looked back. As others said, you have many options. You can run windows using Parallels, ( if you want ), or just use Safari, Firefox, etc.
nowadays any program, website, etc that will only work with IE is almost useless, as many folks dumped IE years ago in favor of other browsers.

Frank
Thanks for the encouragement, Frank! I really am sick of how much time I have to spend fixing PC issues. I'm thinking a Mac mini might be my next desktop.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:05 PM

Mac's newest operating system goes on sale tomorrow. It is called Lion. If you just bought your mac recently, you have a FREE upgrade coming to you. Unlike the windows world, our upgrades are easy, and Lion costs only $29.00 and you can use it on your other macs.....

I still use my first mac I bought 12 years ago everyday. It is a G4 imac, and it was cutting edge then, and still awesome today. It owes me nothing.

There is a slight learning curve when you switch, but it's not bad. You are surrounded with a devoted, tightly knit group of fellow Mac devotees who you will find quite helpful. There are also many Mag user groups out there and websites to help.

Enjoy!! Frank

Old 07-20-2011, 06:06 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,996,913 times
I bought a Mac when I got started last year. I hate it for Real Estate. It does not work well with our MLS system (it works, but tabbing doesn't work well, hitting enter doesn't do what you expect, and it often looks funny on screen). Also, the add-ons to our MLS (CMA builders, etc.) don't work with Mac. My broker has an office software system that is now "compatible" but really doesn't work well. And if you get on any of the REO or BPO systems, they mostly require IE and will NOT work on Mac at all. Our home computer recently died so I gave my husband my Mac and bought a PC.

I hope you have a better experience than I did!

Old 07-20-2011, 07:54 PM

15,575 posts, read 40,425,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinaN View Post
I bought a Mac when I got started last year. I hate it for Real Estate. It does not work well with our MLS system (it works, but tabbing doesn't work well, hitting enter doesn't do what you expect, and it often looks funny on screen). Also, the add-ons to our MLS (CMA builders, etc.) don't work with Mac. My broker has an office software system that is now "compatible" but really doesn't work well. And if you get on any of the REO or BPO systems, they mostly require IE and will NOT work on Mac at all. Our home computer recently died so I gave my husband my Mac and bought a PC.

I hope you have a better experience than I did!

You can use IE on the Mac in Parallels. Things work just fine.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:44 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,996,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
You can use IE on the Mac in Parallels. Things work just fine.
We have an agent at our office that does that. I just didn't see the point of running Windows on a Mac, seems to diminish the whole reason for using Mac. I miss many features of my Mac, but my husband is quite happy I donated it to him!

Old 07-22-2011, 09:52 AM

4,511 posts, read 13,578,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinaN View Post
We have an agent at our office that does that. I just didn't see the point of running Windows on a Mac, seems to diminish the whole reason for using Mac. ...
That was my thought too. It seems the Mac running only the native OS and apps is generally not sufficient for many RE users. You have to fake it out by running Windows. If you need both, I guess it's a solution.

Old 07-22-2011, 12:32 PM

I'm honestly surprised to read folks who have Macs saying they cannot do some things in a Mac environment. Having owned Macs for many years, I have never found a problem surfing the web, etc with a Mac.

I use both Firefox and Safari. I do not use Chrome, but I could if I wanted.

I do not use Parallels at all because I do not want windows on my Macs.

What is so special about RE software or sites that they are IE or Windows specific? In this day and age when Macs are outselling PC's, and the iphone and ipads are #1, that is pretty short sighted.

I mean, I have both the iwork package and Microsoft Office on my Macs, etc.....I never feel the need to have a PC.....

Frank

Old 07-22-2011, 12:41 PM

43,279 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
I'm honestly surprised to read folks who have Macs saying they cannot do some things in a Mac environment. Having owned Macs for many years, I have never found a problem surfing the web, etc with a Mac.

I use both Firefox and Safari. I do not use Chrome, but I could if I wanted.

I do not use Parallels at all because I do not want windows on my Macs.

What is so special about RE software or sites that they are IE or Windows specific? In this day and age when Macs are outselling PC's, and the iphone and ipads are #1, that is pretty short sighted.

I mean, I have both the iwork package and Microsoft Office on my Macs, etc.....I never feel the need to have a PC.....

Frank
I say "Epic Fail."
Usage share of operating systems - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is an interesting conversation without drooling fanboi stuff from either side, methinks.
There are many MLS's, and this IS a real estate thread, whose proprietary software environments do not support Apple, or Firefox or Chrome.
That doesn't mean that Apple et al are better or worse. It just means that members of those MLS must use IE for workable access.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals