Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2011, 02:55 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,141,101 times

Advertisements

I want to get into Development. I want to start out working for a Developer to learn the ropes, but I can't seem to find any that are hiring. Does anybody have any advice how I should go about this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 03:08 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,911,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
I want to get into Development. I want to start out working for a Developer to learn the ropes, but I can't seem to find any that are hiring. Does anybody have any advice how I should go about this?
Do they even exist anymore?

Old 09-06-2011, 04:14 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,672,346 times
Quote:
I want to be a "Real Estate Developer" is like saying I want to be a "in medical". Are you talking a doctor, or someone who sells band aids to doctor offices? 99% of the people in real estate development are in specialties related to that broad term. My uncle is a real estate developer but he owns the corporation. Most people under him are in specialties supporting that broad definition:
Property aquisition
Design and development
Zoning, Codes, and development standards
Architectual review
Leasing
Property management
Accounting
Taxes & escrows
Maintainace and support
Marketing & Advertising
Density Research
Waivers, Stipulations and variance
Permits
Vendor relationship
Engineering
Administarative support
Utility services
Document preperation
etc.,
etc.,
etc.,

There are small time developer who do small scale projects, but if your talking true developers, your talking larger projects than house flipping or a home here & there. So if you want to get into Real estate Development, you have to have apply based on your specialty.

Old 09-06-2011, 05:23 PM

4,567 posts, read 10,649,039 times
Quote:
Does anybody have any advice how I should go about this?
Work for free. Tell them you will be an unpaid intern.

Old 09-06-2011, 06:18 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,068,765 times
Just to give yourself a taste of what it feels like to be in real estate development these past few years, take a million or so out of the bank and set it on fire.

If you still feel good after doing that, then maybe real estate development is just your thing.

Otherwise, there are better ways to go broke.

(Serioulsly, if you are well capitlaized and can get some sensible projects off the ground with a ten to fifteen year time horizen, i think you'll probably do okay. Be prepared for anxiety like you have never experienced, however.)

Old 07-27-2012, 09:13 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,135,858 times
Quote:
A couple universities in the north east offer masters programs in development. I attend Hopkins but Georgetown and a couple in NY among others offer it. You learn a lot in the program because within development are a hundred subfields. With Hopkins, it is a who's who of development in Baltimore which is really one of the few ways to get a foot in the door without having millions of dollars or being a finance genius.

Real estate development isn't about building pretty buildings. It's about building a pretty building that has a tenant paying you a premium for it being pretty and covering your debt service so you can remain solvent.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:53 AM

976 posts, read 1,055,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davecj View Post
A couple universities in the north east offer masters programs in development. I attend Hopkins but Georgetown and a couple in NY among others offer it. You learn a lot in the program because within development are a hundred subfields. With Hopkins, it is a who's who of development in Baltimore which is really one of the few ways to get a foot in the door without having millions of dollars or being a finance genius.

Real estate development isn't about building pretty buildings. It's about building a pretty building that has a tenant paying you a premium for it being pretty and covering your debt service so you can remain solvent.

So does the University of Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals