Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2011, 08:08 PM

35 posts, read 247,960 times

Advertisements

Am scheduled to close tomorrow afternoon on a house I am selling. Buyers scheduled their final walkthrough for today at noon. Got a text from my Realtor at 5pm that the buyer's agent said they had trouble with the lockbox and couldn't get in to do the walk through and now want to reschedule the walk through two days from now! Funny, no problems with the lockbox for the past two months or the past three times this realtor and these buyers have been there. Additionally, we work two miles from the house and could have easily brought a key over for the buyers but the buyer's agent didn't call anyone until this evening to say there was a problem.

I've been calling and texting my realtor to see what the heck is going on and if this means settlement is delayed but am getting NO response from her...it's been 5 hours since she dropped this bomb on me and I have no clue what's going on. (My realtor also is on vacation after mistakenly booking her trip on my scheduled settlement day(!) so I am supposed to be represented by another agent in the company.)

The only thing the contract says is that "Buyer reserves the right to inspect the Property within five (5) days prior to settlement." There is nothing in there about them having the right to cancel or delay closing if they don't make it within those 5 days.

So can I refuse to delay closing since they already had their 5 days (they also still have tomorrow before settlement they could walkthrough too but are asking for a Thursday one) and didn't get it done? I have already made all the requested repairs and provided invoices and the place is empty and totally cleaned out and in turn key condition. For the record, they have missed every contingency deadline throughout the contract and I have been nice and let it slide and accepted things late because I wanted the sale to go through.

Do I just show up at settlement tomorrow afternoon and say since I haven't gotten anything in writing I want to sign all my stuff? I thought everything was fine and on track....ugh!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 08:16 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,577,050 times
Your options depend on the terms of your contract and what you are willing to do. Best to consult with your agent, or perhaps her broker if you can't reach her. It's likely your only real option may be to cancel the sale if they've missed the deadline and are unwilling to close without a walk through. Otherwise, if you want to get it sold you may need to agree to an extension. If you goal is to get it sold, then probably best to consider the latter.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:58 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,996,169 times
Talk to your agent. Might be time to send a Notice of Buyer to Perform which allows you to cancel if they do not within 48 hours.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:23 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,393,765 times
I agree, not to nix the whole deal over this but I would sure demand that their realtor prepare the proper paperwork signed by the Buyer, requesting this delay and after you have signed, your broker would send it to the escrow company so everything is documented. Why in the world can't they go first thing in the morning? You'd think THEIR realtor would have gotten the dang door open for them so he'd get paid! Frustrating huh? Best wishes, and I hope you close inside of 2 days!!

Old 09-20-2011, 05:42 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,775,672 times
Call the agents broker and have him/her work on this with you. Let the broker know the agent, or replacement is not responding.

If you want to sell the house, then do the extension paperwork, then have the broker find out what's wrong with the lockbox.

If it's an electronic box, it's possible that the battery is too low.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:24 PM

4,567 posts, read 10,652,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJill76 View Post
Do I just show up at settlement tomorrow afternoon and say since I haven't gotten anything in writing I want to sign all my stuff?
Yep. Just show up.

If they say they didn't get a walkthrough, tell them, hop in the car, lets go right now.

Old 09-21-2011, 12:58 PM

3,826 posts, read 3,386,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
Yep. Just show up.

If they say they didn't get a walkthrough, tell them, hop in the car, lets go right now.

Tell them "The house is still there and nothing has changed since the last time you came over.".

Old 09-21-2011, 08:43 PM

43,274 posts, read 77,073,002 times
Here we are two days later, holding our breath and waiting for an update.

Closed or not closed
????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals