Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2011, 06:10 PM

1,684 posts, read 3,954,438 times

Advertisements

after the closing, the sellers haven't cleared out all their belongings..... I have a signed contract with closing date set. Inspections are proceeding.

The house has been empty since Memorial Day, but there are still a lot of personal items in the house, including at least 25 LARGE rubbermaid totes full in the attic.

I asked my agent yesterday "what happens if they don't clear it out" she said 'don't worry, they will" I don't think they will.... the man has moved across sthe state, and the woman, I haven't located, but she is the seller....Clothes, shoes, purses, luggage, linens, furniture - not staged - personal pictures, albums, CD's, TV, christmas stuff galore. Not to mention both refrigerators/freezers are packed full.... Mower, lawn tools, etc.

it would be one heck of a garage sale, but

How do I proceed? DO I bring this up at the closing table? Before, at or right after the walk through? How much time should I give them to clean it out?

any help..... I'm in Georgia, by the way...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 06:14 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelou View Post
after the closing, the sellers haven't cleared out all their belongings..... I have a signed contract with closing date set. Inspections are proceeding.
What if one or two days before the closing... the buyer and the agents do a walk through...
where everyone can see that the home has been made "broom clean" and everything else is intact as expected?
Why, that might even be a good clause to include in the offer contract.

Old 10-06-2011, 09:59 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
What the always pithy Mr. Rational is saying is that your contract likely already addresses this and if you discover that these tubs are still in the house during the walk-thru before closing, you address it then before proceeding to close.

Old 10-06-2011, 11:13 AM

4,511 posts, read 13,578,860 times
If for some reason you do allow the closing to occur with the previous owner's personal property still in the home (not recommended), you should check your local state laws on how you are to handle abandoned personal property.

Abandoned Property of Tenants or Renters - Lawyers.com

Old 10-09-2011, 06:39 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,408,574 times
Cool If it were me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelou View Post

The house has been empty since Memorial Day, but there are still a lot of personal items in the house, including at least 25 LARGE rubbermaid totes full in the attic.

I asked my agent yesterday "what happens if they don't clear it out" she said 'don't worry, they will" I don't think they will.... the man has moved across sthe state, and the woman, I haven't located, but she is the seller....Clothes, shoes, purses, luggage, linens, furniture - not staged - personal pictures, albums, CD's, TV, christmas stuff galore. Not to mention both refrigerators/freezers are packed full.... Mower, lawn tools, etc.

it would be one heck of a garage sale, but

How do I proceed? DO I bring this up at the closing table? Before, at or right after the walk through? How much time should I give them to clean it out?

any help..... I'm in Georgia, by the way...
I'd bring this issue up...yesterday and I wouldn't be polite about it. There's a reason they're letting it sit there. Get going and get yourself some action on this. being pc only goes so far.
Koale

Old 10-09-2011, 06:53 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,084,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
where everyone can see that the home has been made "broom clean"
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
What the always pithy Mr. Rational is saying is that your contract likely already addresses this and if you discover that these tubs are still in the house during the walk-thru before closing, you address it then before proceeding to close.
In Georgia, the sales and purchase contract does state "broom clean" and addresses all the Seller(s) personal items to be removed prior to closing. That being said, make sure everything is out prior to closing. You might want to have a final walk through at least 2 days prior to closing so your Buyer's Agent can address the matter if items are still there. I would also have your agent call the other agent and gently inquire about all the personal items that are currently on the property.

Consider what you might "want" if the Seller(s) items are still there. Will there be a financial repercussion? Will it delay closing?

Best of luck to you!

Old 10-10-2011, 10:43 AM

284 posts, read 616,843 times
I anticipate I will have similar problem. We made an offer on a short sale, the contract specified "broom clean" I don't see the seller will do anything, he has already moved out. I assumed the ONLY option for us at the time will be either to walk away or clean it ourselves... I am looking for suggestions as well....

BTW, this will be the second short sale for this seller, the previous buyer walked away because during the final walk through, he saw junk piled up.
By the time when we made the offer, the junk have cleaned up somewhat...

Old 10-10-2011, 10:49 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anna_mom View Post
I anticipate I will have similar problem. We made an offer on a short sale...
short sales are a whole other can of worms.
inspections are often only "for information purposes only" and all conditions from the non-functioning furnace to the crapola left behind are "as is"

Old 10-10-2011, 10:52 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
Default Talk to your agent...

I know about half a dozen "guys with a truck" that will happily clean out anyplace for an ammazingly low price if they are allowed to sort through the "junk" for stuff that can be sold. I regularly got "business cards" from such guys and I suspect your agent does too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by anna_mom View Post
I anticipate I will have similar problem. We made an offer on a short sale, the contract specified "broom clean" I don't see the seller will do anything, he has already moved out. I assumed the ONLY option for us at the time will be either to walk away or clean it ourselves... I am looking for suggestions as well....

BTW, this will be the second short sale for this seller, the previous buyer walked away because during the final walk through, he saw junk piled up.
By the time when we made the offer, the junk have cleaned up somewhat...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals