U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 02:49 PM

341 posts, read 1,164,579 times
Unhappy TIme to change realtor - can I??

We have now been on the market for 273 days - and there have been maybe 8 people come through - our realtor himself has brought no one - and I found out last week - we were not even listed on homes.com or realtors.com and he says I can now see our listing so a few questions for realtors?
1) can I break my arrangement - which is up in Oct 2007
2) why would our home only be on the MLS and not on the general forums where the public searches - we were not even showing up on competitors websites inquiries
3) unless I call or email our agent - I do not hear from him
4) when we inquire - he tells us we have to be patient - the media is killing us (some truth to all of this i know)
5) In the sold listings each month a min of 4-6 houses sell in our community in our price range

Just an FYI - we are in a lake community - are 20% below appraisal and comparable market pricings..We are in one of Gilberts oldest and most desirable lake communities
we are below the avg $ per sq ft that sold and pending houses are going for

We have also asked him how is he marketing us - why are no realtors from his office showing the home
Please help me to understand this
Do realtors get tired of older listings and move on?

We are at 5.5% comm - so I know it is not a commission issue
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2007, 04:39 PM

55,408 posts, read 11,680,631 times
Is your property on the internet? Can you ask why it isn't on the internet?
Is the commission low,and the price is too high?

Old 08-27-2007, 05:25 PM

actually full comm at 5.5%
bu I guess I don't have to worry anymore - I sent him an email asking why 8 months when the average selling in AZ is 1 out 8 homes listed are sold
He says he can not sell our home in a timely manner - and that maybe we needed to get another agent - he says even though it is a saleable home and looks good, priced right -
SO this confirms to me he is not an aggressive realtor - and in this market - you need to be ....
I was willing to work with him if he gave any type of insight of what may be wrong but he did not....
So off to find a realtor - and this time - with the big guys -
thanks

Old 08-27-2007, 10:29 PM

980 posts, read 1,993,038 times
lvgaz,

Read through the listing agreement you signed with your agent. It should explain how to terminate the agreement. You want to be sure that it won't cost an arm and a leg to terminate the agreement with him. I'd talk to his Broker about his behavior. The Broker may encourage him to take some kind of action to appease you, or he may encourage the agent to release you from the agreement at no expense to you.

On a side note, I'm not sure how the MLS works in FL, but in VA when we enter our listings in the MLS, they're automatically propagated to several websites and one of them is realtor.com.

Old 08-27-2007, 10:38 PM

8,289 posts, read 6,913,652 times
LVGAZ 5.5% commission is not full commission although there isn't a standard one most pay 6%. A Buyer's agent will show a split at 3% over 2.5%.

It is now a buyer's market in most places & perhaps you should adjust your selling price according to the market.

Good houses sell no matter the market conditions but you need to have a competitive price in your neighborhood in order to sell.

Old 08-27-2007, 10:52 PM

627 posts, read 1,422,102 times
The real estate commission is there for the consumer, not the broker.

It is my understanding if the broker cannot show he has actively marketed your property and spent $$ to do it, he would not have a leg to stand on to enforce the listing agreement to ask for commission paid.

It could be a pain to prove, and Oct is not that far away, maybe just wait it out or ask for an out if you want to change brokers. The selling season is up to christmas.

I've personally had listings that never got shown. I hate it, makes me look bad, and when they complain I just offer to cancel the deal right then and there, as I personally know the advertising is working, they just don't have something other people are interested in. Maybe they'll do better with someone else and I won't get a bad reputation in the end, plus my sign won't have bullet holes in it.

Next time, ask where do they advertise and explain what you expect. Either they can accomodiate you or not. Find one that will.

Old 08-28-2007, 09:35 AM

Thanks everyone - that is all great information
I asked him to comment why? he felt there was no action - etc and all he could say is - that he could not sell it within a timely manner as we would like (8 mos?) - we will offer 6% on the next round -
keeperk had some good points and that may be why he offered to cancel(actually he did last night - our phone is ringing off the hook this am since 7AM)
We have dropped oour price to were he recommended 3x in the past 4 mos - we offered to rent back for 6 mos (until my job expires) - so I am not sure what the problem is
We are going to meet with Remax and Keller WIlliams today - any feedback on those companies - they both claim to list everywhere -
thanks again

Old 08-28-2007, 09:55 AM

55,408 posts, read 11,680,631 times
All of these are good companies,you just have to see where they advertise,if the price is comparable,be realistic about the market

Old 08-28-2007, 11:22 AM

[quote=keeperk;1371837]The real estate commission is there for the consumer, not the broker.

Not sure what you mean by this - can you explain why the commission is there for the consumer????
thank you

Old 08-28-2007, 12:48 PM

627 posts, read 1,422,102 times
[quote=LVGAZ;1374869]
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeperk View Post
The real estate commission is there for the consumer, not the broker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeperk View Post

Not sure what you mean by this - can you explain why the commission is there for the consumer????
thank you
The purpose of the Texas Real Estate Commission is to protect the public through regulation of licensed real estate brokerage practitioners

The primary purpose of the Kansas Real Estate Commission is to protect the public interest in the real estate marketplace through the regulation of real ...

Real Estate Commission - Purpose. The Real Estate Commission was established to protect the public through the regulation of the real estate industry in ...

Agency OverviewThe Idaho Real Estate Commission is charged with the regulation of the real estate industry. The Commissiondevelops the education, establishes license standards, and disciplines real estate licensees. Real Estate is thelargest financial investment most citizens make in their life time and the Commission is devoted to educatinglicensees to better serve the public and taking disciplinary action against those who take advantage of thecitizens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals