U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-04-2012, 10:27 AM

469 posts, read 1,025,938 times

Advertisements

For those who work or have worked within the New Jersey real estate market, what is the combined cost of receiving a real estate license in New Jersey?

Secondly, what is the process like in terms of transferring to conduct real estate in nearby states (Connecticut, New York, Massachusetts)? For example, may one still sale New Jersey real estate if they live in CT or NY? On the contrary, if one moves to Massachusetts is there a process where one may transfer real estate licenses from one state to another?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2012, 02:47 PM

1 posts, read 6,935 times
The cost of the salesperson cost is about $350 and it takes 75 hours. Books are usually included. Then there is the cost of the state test of about $80 and fingerprinting (I think it's $71). When all of this is done, there is a charge of $160 for the initial state license (which has to be renewed every other year for $100). As a salesperson, you will also have annual board dues (around $400).

Old 03-11-2012, 11:11 PM

Thank you for the information. As for if I were to eventually move to another state in the future, in particular NY-CT-RI-MA, would I have to retake the test and pay all of the fees?

Old 03-12-2012, 02:20 PM

4,511 posts, read 7,489,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowOrNever View Post
Thank you for the information. As for if I were to eventually move to another state in the future, in particular NY-CT-RI-MA, would I have to retake the test and pay all of the fees?
I don't know if those states have reciprocal license agreements, but you can probably find out by checking their local dept of real estate websites or calling their information number. Many states would require you to take their required classes, tests, and pay fees, including mine (AZ).

Old 03-12-2012, 03:21 PM

249 posts, read 456,918 times
Don't forget the cost of E&O insurance. This year my E&O was $425.00. Then you have to account for access to the MLS systems. I have to belong to 3 different ones, as I list/sell homes in 3 counties and each have their own MLS system. Finally, the cost of the Supra key.

It costs me over $1000 a year to be a licensed NJ Realtor.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:11 AM

Thank you again. Would receiving my license, in addition to the aforementioned fees, accumulate to roughly one thousand I would have to put out this year? After a license is received, how much is the average upkeep?

Secondly, do the New England states and New York have reciprocal license agreements if one is licensed in New Jersey and eventually settles elsewhere?

Old 03-19-2012, 04:55 PM

^I would appreciate all of the help available so that the aforementioned question may be answered.^

Old 03-19-2012, 08:48 PM

665 posts, read 1,197,104 times
I would imagine you would have to take the test in the different states since real estate laws vary state to state.

Old 08-02-2013, 10:53 PM

5 posts, read 6,684 times
Default Being an agent in more than one state

Some agents and brokers keep licenses in more than 1 state. NJ does not have reciprocity with any state, you have to take the 75 hour class and pass the state test to become a real estate agent. However if you are a broker in another state, you may only have to take the two 30 hour classes, one on Ethics and one on Office Management to also be a licensed broker in New Jersey.
Some agents in NJ just become Referral agents, so they keep their license active and get referral fees, but don't have the yearly upkeep and expense of being an "active" agent. That would help if moving to another state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals