U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 05:47 PM

3 posts, read 15,309 times

Advertisements

Hello all! I am newly licensed in Florida and am a bit stuck on what to do next. I had an interview with a very large "franchise" agency and the training program seems wonderful. I am very interested in going with a broker (at least for awhile) that offers good training.

However, do all brokers require that I immediately apply for the local, state and NAR associations at the very beginning? The fees are just sooooo large for me right now. Between school, books, licensing, fingerprinting and exam costs, it's just a lot all at once. I would love to start working as soon as possible, but if it means having to pay $900 just to get started....maybe timeshares is the way to go for now? Any suggestions or advice for someone just starting out with little start up money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 06:59 PM

31,971 posts, read 36,604,313 times
Talk to one of the larger "Local" companies also. Ask them all what is the bare minimum you can join since money is tight. You'll need to join your local board who will also supply great training and probably access to your MLS system.

Education and hard work is the key. You'll be tempted to spend money but use your companies tools, computers, scanners, etc. Gotta pace yourself the 1st few years while you get established.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:41 AM

6,958 posts, read 19,167,644 times
Local rule vary as to membership in NAR etc; Here I am not obligated to be a member of the real estate mafia in order to access and belong to the local MLS. You could search for someone who does not belong and hang your shingle with them, but if that's not possible based on the local rules, well..........welcome to the dark side.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:54 AM

45,767 posts, read 34,016,499 times
Generally speaking, the big box agencies offer the most opportunities for training newly licensed agents.

Generally speaking, the big box brokerages make national and state memberships, board and MLS mandatory for all.

It's rather an insignificant investment in your own business and all of it offsets your taxable income, if any.

I cannot imagine trying to make a go of it selling timeshares.

Old 03-07-2012, 02:38 PM

106 posts, read 333,285 times
Basically, you need to pay the fees to become a Realtor, have MLS access and show MLS property. You can probably work for a new home sales community/developer, they often times do not require you to belong to the association.

Old 03-10-2012, 01:08 PM

Thank you all for the advice! My research seems to be on point. Looks like I will have to bite the bullet and figure it out. Thank you all once again! Wish me luck, looks like I will be needing it.

Old 03-11-2012, 01:06 PM

4,824 posts, read 12,800,940 times
I have two offices, one with RE/MAX and one as a referral company. If Florida allows such, you can join a broker as a referral agent until you are able to move up to Realtor status.

Old 03-13-2012, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
I have two offices, one with RE/MAX and one as a referral company. If Florida allows such, you can join a broker as a referral agent until you are able to move up to Realtor status.

What a great idea! I will be looking into it immediately. Thank you for the suggestion.

Old 04-04-2015, 07:25 AM

86 posts, read 116,461 times
I feel your pain. I just paid the fee in another state.. I had to borrow money to do so. It was not unexpected, but how expensive it is, was.

Old 01-11-2016, 12:53 PM

1 posts, read 1,925 times
Hello everyone, I have been interested in becoming an agent for some time. My question, Is it a need for an agent to have a driver's license to obtain your real estate license? My driver's license is suspended, I am in the process of getting it reinstated because it's out-of-state it's difficult to maintain a regular 9 to 5. I really want weigh-out all my options.

Thank you and I appreciate your knowledge and advice in advance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals