Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2012, 05:43 PM

801 posts, read 2,566,356 times

Advertisements

I've read several of the "should I become an agent?" type threads, and so far I believe I might have a good fit in this career.

Based on what I've read, and other conversations I've had with agents, I would be ready to work a second job while I build my clientele, presence, knowledge. I fully understand that it takes a while to get settled in and become productive.

I have some different types of questions though that I haven't seen anyone ask yet. I am not a type-A personality. I am a laid-back, friendly, Type B. I am good with people. I would describe myself as bright, strategically minded, efficient, organized, very good at using/understanding/leveraging technology.

I can perform very well under pressure and stress if it is temporary (a project, a sale, a rushed week here and there.) However, I do not want that to be the tone of my life. My "normal" is a friendly atmosphere with supportive people who are kind, encouraging, and positive minded. My preferred type of workplace is efficient and works hard when it's needed, but also returns to a fairly stress-free place when the hard work is done.

I like working with successful people, but I also want it to be a place where people are kind, warm-hearted, patient, and truly help each other develop and grow. I like strategic thinkers who realize that it's more sustainable to work smarter (and put better strategies in place that pay off in the long-run).

So here are my questions, answer any of them that you choose:

(1) Is it possible to find a brokerage to work, where co-workers are friendly, helpful, supportive, similar to what I described?

If it matters, I'm looking at a fairly large Midwestern metropolitan area / state capitol for the location ... city or suburbs, but I'm probably not interested in rural.

(2) Would you say that real estate attracts a good number of truly smart, thoughtful, likeable people? Are there agents at your work, that you look up to, who you find inspiring (and not just because of their sales productivity)?

(3) If you're a realtor or broker, how stressful was it for you during your real estate school, test prep, and your search for the right agency?

(4) Do you think I would find a boss that is a good fit for me? (Are some brokers more hands-off than others?) Or would I be a better candidate for giving it a go as a broker on my own, being my own boss (at some point down the road?)

(5) What parts of the job are really the hardest part of the work, or does that just depend on the person? (What's "hard" for me might be enjoyable for someone else, and vice versa.)

Of course there are going to be difficult people... clients, sellers, the other party's realtors and brokers, maybe even a few co-workers. I just am hoping I'll find a pleasant enough place to hang out a shingle, where the atmosphere is generally positive.

Thanks!

Last edited by summer22; 03-08-2012 at 06:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 06:39 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
You've described my office perfectly. It's about 70% full of positive, intelligent, upbeat people (30% not so) with great management, training, support, etc.

I'm one of the top agents in Dallas and a perfect fit for TX real estate. Also laid back, hard working, very self sufficient, independent, etc. I doubt I could do NY style business and they would have trouble here. My companies a perfect fit for me and my style.

Luckily there are millions of different types of people here and I can find 50 or so a year that love my style. Sounds like if you're in the Midwest, you'll fit the type of people you'll be dealing with as clients.

Just have to find the right fit with the right broker.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:00 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
The hardest part of the work....

Finding personal time where you can spend with your family. It can be 7 days a week if you let it and you work when other people don't. There are many divorces in this business since it can be all consuming.

You're self employed and running your own business. The more you do, the more you have to do.

Old 03-09-2012, 07:40 AM

3,720 posts, read 9,999,504 times
I think the hardest part of your equation is working real estate part time while you have another job. The atmosphere you seek will be found mostly during the day, during the week, at the office (that's how it is in my office anyway). If you are only working the nights and weekends, you will miss out on much of the interaction that I found so very helpful to me when I first started my career.

Classes, test, finding a broker - that's the easy part. Finding customers - that's the challenge. They won't come to you just b/c you have a license. It takes a lot of time and effort to make that happen.

The hardest part of the job (or rather, least likeable) is working with my clients when the inevitable disaster occurs (delays, major inspection issues, loan issues, etc.) because it stresses me out when they are so stressed out. The other thing I hate is putting out and picking up open house signs :-{

In my office, we have a very good culture, open atmosphere, good training and strong management. There are a handful of very successful agents that are good role models and mentors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals