Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 06:36 AM

9,360 posts, read 14,099,574 times

Advertisements

This is the old way of taking photos of a room. The missing element here is that the old method suggested that you needed to 'adjust' the furniture. For example, it would have been recommended that the closest corner of the bed be raised up somehow to make the scene look more natural. Anyway, that is what they taught us in photography in the 1960's!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 07:48 AM

8,543 posts, read 14,020,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
This is the old way of taking photos of a room. The missing element here is that the old method suggested that you needed to 'adjust' the furniture. For example, it would have been recommended that the closest corner of the bed be raised up somehow to make the scene look more natural. Anyway, that is what they taught us in photography in the 1960's!
Interesting! I had no idea this was once a commonly accepted method. Clearly he did it wrong because it definitely doesn't look natural.

Old 04-01-2015, 08:51 AM

These photos aren't horrifically bad, but take a look and post back if the interior shots look a little funny to you . . .

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...30-79602?row=1

This is someone using a super wide angle lens who doesn't know what they're doing.

Old 04-01-2015, 12:25 PM

43,280 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
These photos aren't horrifically bad, but take a look and post back if the interior shots look a little funny to you . . .

This is someone using a super wide angle lens who doesn't know what they're doing.
Agreed, they are not horrific.
Around here, they are good enough for this market, although there are too few, and too pedestrian.
I see much worse abuse of wide angle, like when the fridge looks like a chest freezer..

Old 04-01-2015, 02:08 PM

24,482 posts, read 17,220,223 times
It looks like bad photography is here to stay. It really bugs me when someone takes on a new listing and puts on such lousy shots. My pet peeve are photos of the bathroom with the seat up.
How about the million dollar listing that has like 5 photos?
I have been noticing a new trend of sprucing up images in photoshop to the point that the colours take on the aura of a fantasy cartoon world.
It is not that hard to tidy up the house and snap a few decent photos.
The trouble is the seller usually has no clue that his agent has no clue and the house sells!

Old 04-01-2015, 03:02 PM

1,763 posts, read 2,046,764 times
Quote:

Super wide angle photos are more accessible to agents these days with the availability of cell phone lens adapters.
They don't need to spend $$$ for a dslr and wide lens.

Agents don't care about photo composition, they only care about showing as much as possible in one photo.

It's still a big improvement over the severely cropped photos shown in most listings.... where you only see a sofa and part of one wall.

Check out this spacious bedroom....

However, I think there should be a warning on wide angle photos like your passenger mirror.

"Objects are closer than they appear"

Last edited by oh come on!; 04-01-2015 at 03:22 PM..

Old 04-01-2015, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
It looks like bad photography is here to stay. It really bugs me when someone takes on a new listing and puts on such lousy shots. My pet peeve are photos of the bathroom with the seat up.
How about the million dollar listing that has like 5 photos?
I have been noticing a new trend of sprucing up images in photoshop to the point that the colours take on the aura of a fantasy cartoon world.
It is not that hard to tidy up the house and snap a few decent photos.
The trouble is the seller usually has no clue that his agent has no clue and the house sells!
It seems everyone is running out and getting a super wide angle lens or tweaking their photos in some sort of photo editing software. The problem is . . . 95% of the people doing it have no idea what they're doing and the results are pretty bad. I see neon green grass all the time or tilted walls (like in the link I shared). There's a definite lack of willingness to do a good job amongst many of our peers.

Old 04-01-2015, 09:14 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
Quote:

I've seen much worse. But the bad part IMO is that potential buyers are going to go for a showing and be disappointed when the rooms, and esp. the deck and porch, are much smaller in person than they think. But then again, even in Needham, 700K+ is probably not a first time buyer so hopefully they will be savvy enough to know what the are getting ahead of time.

Old 04-02-2015, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I've seen much worse. But the bad part IMO is that potential buyers are going to go for a showing and be disappointed when the rooms, and esp. the deck and porch, are much smaller in person than they think. But then again, even in Needham, 700K+ is probably not a first time buyer so hopefully they will be savvy enough to know what the are getting ahead of time.
I would say it's incredibly likely that this house will sell to a first time house buyer. They may have owned a condo before or they may have come from a rental but it's likely the buyer will be purchasing their first single family home.

The use of wide angle lenses has become so common that after seeing a couple of houses in person I would imagine most buyers make the adjustment when looking at photos. The distortion of depth perception is an unfortunate side affect of such lenses. When I use one, I make efforts to correct it in post processing.

Old 04-02-2015, 09:17 AM

43,280 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
I would say it's incredibly likely that this house will sell to a first time house buyer. They may have owned a condo before or they may have come from a rental but it's likely the buyer will be purchasing their first single family home.

The use of wide angle lenses has become so common that after seeing a couple of houses in person I would imagine most buyers make the adjustment when looking at photos. The distortion of depth perception is an unfortunate side affect of such lenses. When I use one, I make efforts to correct it in post processing.
I agree. The use of wide angles has become something of an expectation. I shoot from just outside doorways, and crop out crooked jambs on the edge of shots.

I was in a stinkin' Gorgeous house the other day. Agent shot it with her cell phone and killed the kitchen. I would have caught the whole room in one shot so people saw that it was larger than she showed, and would have seen the layout.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals