Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 09:45 PM

2,124 posts, read 8,841,471 times

Advertisements

Jenne, with your current agents attitude, its a no brainer. Get thee to the other agent!!! Fast!!

Shelly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2007, 01:05 AM

631 posts, read 2,445,584 times
I think it is possible the agent very well could be the "expert" in the neighborhood, and yes that does make a difference. Too bad about the attitude. She sounds convinced, and that does help with sales if the broker is convinced.

I'm marketing properties that I am the only expert on. If another broker takes the listing, they do so now because they've heard of me. The first thing they do is call me and ask me to sell it for them. I do explain, I'll show anything, if it meets what my customer is looking for sure. But my sellers are counting on me, have hired me and I will do my best for their properties first.
Based on I have the most signs in the particular areas, have targeted advertising on those areas, buyers and sellers have called me and said, I hear you handle the XXXX properties, as if I'm "in charge" of the sales there, and off we go. It's just my presence there. I don't proclaim to be "in charge" of the area.
Not bragging, and of course with my buyers help and my expertise, I've takin 2 subdivisions and doubled and tripled their property values in a years time. In 6 years all brokers combined have managed to sell 3 properties in there total. What a mess! I wasn't doing resales then so they had plenty of time to prove themselves.
Owners started believing they bought bad property because they couldn't sell it, and when I had a buyer that needed to get a loan, it was tough going because of the non existant comps, so I had to concentrate on cash buyers to get those comps for loans.
I opened shop and sold 45 properties in 6 months because I was the Expert on those properties. I know the properties better than the owners. So yes, that can happen. An expert on the area does make a difference. Now other brokers usually don't even try, they just try to send me the referral to at least get a fee. Sometimes, but seldom, sellers do try the other broker first. I don't take it personally, I know people do what they need to do, and I know when they are ready to get it sold, they'll be calling me. I don't tell them what they want to hear to get the listing, I tell them the real deal. They sometimes don't like what I had to say and don't call back until they've tried the other guy first.
After a year or two still on the market, then their ready to listen to what I have to tell them and ask me to list.

Old 09-15-2007, 08:02 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
From what I've seen, most agents don't adventise after the 2nd month. They will continue to do it on their web site, or on realtor.com if they have anhanced, but nothing more then that.

If I were you, I would watch what I am posting, you may want to go back and edit. On one board I go to, someone emailed the listing agent with the post. Who knows if that's what really happened or the agent did a google search for the person's user name. Either way, google does crawl this site.

For what you originally posted about - I listed 1st with someone I found online that I was going to use as my buyers agent since I was looking in her area. Since we didn't have someone set up to sell with, she'd mentioned letting her sell our house and in a few days it was Memorial day, she was putting the sign out. The house should have sold, feedback was that everything was good, but it didn't sell. Not one person came through using any of the local agents, they came from the next town over.

Why didn't the local's show my house? They didn't have to as they had enough of their own inventory. I sucked it up, got a list of agent questions together & started interviewing the locals. We ended up signing with one who's done a good job so far. If I knew then what I know now, I wouldn't have wasted the 1st agents time, or my own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenne03 View Post
I went through my mortgage/insurance companies relocation/moving program.
I'm a little confused here, are you using a relo agent to sell?

Last edited by Marka; 09-16-2007 at 04:44 PM.. Reason: edited quote per OP's request

Old 09-15-2007, 04:49 PM

982 posts, read 3,486,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenne03 View Post
There is this realtor who is always the one called when a house goes up for sale because she used to live in the development and has a lot of friends here.
What you described happens more than people would think. I have a listing in a city that I normally don't normally work in..I do mostly short sales and this listing was referred to me by an agent who doesn't have a lot of short sale experience. My listing has been on the market for almost 70 days and not one agent in that area has shown it. The few times it has been shown, it's because agents in my office had clients in the area, and I asked them to take their clients to see my listing. I have tried reaching out to agents in the area to form something of an alliance to get the house sold...so far I've had no takers.

Last edited by Marka; 09-16-2007 at 04:42 PM.. Reason: edited quote per OP's request

Old 10-23-2008, 02:53 PM

192 posts, read 631,376 times
Yep - your agent should be happy to take photos, if you're comparing "apples to apples" with the other homes perhaps it's her(the successful agent) marketing. Perhaps it's her knowledge of the area and ability to price right. Maybe she's just a good hard working agent. Maybe she returns phone calls and doesn't get terse with her clients - well, I hope she's all that for you. It makes me so sad when folks think they can't ditch a bad realtor. No problem for you since your contract is about up but remember every day of good weather matters!

Old 10-23-2008, 04:20 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen B View Post

This neighborhood "expert" sounds VERY unprofessional.
Whoa ! I feel like I walked into the middle of a movie. What's unprofessional? Was something deleted along the way, here?

Old 10-23-2008, 04:29 PM

43,279 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Whoa ! I feel like I walked into the middle of a movie. What's unprofessional? Was something deleted along the way, here?
It is a VERY old thread, resurrected for some reason.

Old 10-23-2008, 04:31 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Oh for cryin out loud....

Thank you, Michael.

Old 10-23-2008, 05:32 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,983,385 times
Quote:

Why do people do that, do you suppose? This thread is over a year old. Clearly the OP has moved on. There is another thread that was resurrected on the regular RE forum. That one also is almost a year old.

Old 10-24-2008, 04:14 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
I think I know what happened.
When you open a post, at the very bottom of it are: