Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 10:05 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,302,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I've never called a listing agent. There was one time I thought I might have to but my agent was able to help me.
Again, just curious...if your agent is helping you by working with other listing agents to set up appointments and showing you property, do you not consider her to be your representative in your property search? Will you ask her for advice as to what price to offer if you decide to write up a contract? Is she researching the properties for you in any way other than telling you that they are listed?

I just want to clarify so as to find out more about how buyers are viewing the issue of agency in different states--I appreciate your responses!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2007, 04:44 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynmkolohe View Post
Again, just curious...if your agent is helping you by working with other listing agents to set up appointments and showing you property, do you not consider her to be your representative in your property search? Will you ask her for advice as to what price to offer if you decide to write up a contract?
Yes, she was calling to make sure we could get into the houses. While I was working with her, I did not sign anything as it was a courtesy since she listed my house. Had I bought a house I would let her negotiate as I thought she was more then capable of doing that as I've over-heard a few calls she took while we drove around. It was one reason I decided to list with her because of her negotiating skills.

We never got to pricing because the houses we walked were over priced to begin with and did not match what I wanted to buy. We did walk one house that was priced right and that was a match but had a pending on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynmkolohe View Post
Is she researching the properties for you in any way other than telling you that they are listed?

I just want to clarify so as to find out more about how buyers are viewing the issue of agency in different states--I appreciate your responses!
She did not do leg-work. I did this myself. The houses we walked were ones I found online via the many sites I belong to. There were a few we found while driving in neighborhoods that we saw signs, she pulled over and called to find out info about them.

Had I bought something we walked, she would have been my agent. I had every intention of giving her the sale as she spent time with me. Hubby & I found a community we liked while I was with her, I immediatly gave them her card; as I did when I signed in at all communities hubby & I walked / found. The deal breaker on that community (we put a deposit on a lot) was the school system. The lot was beautiful; letting it go after 5 weeks of school research was hard to do.

After the contract for our house expired, I signed on with a local agency; she was not local to my house, (30 mins away) and my hubby & I felt that we had to list with a local agent. We ended up finding another new home community after signing with the new agency, this was not one I'd found while connected to her. Since our new sellers agent hasn't taken me out, I don't have an agent tied to me.

While I was working with her, I told her nothing was tying us to this county and gave her ideas of where we'd like to live. I also asked her if she knew of any new home communities, multiple times, yet she never came through. I was also willing to move towards her town, but nothing ever came of that.

Who knows, had she had me sign something, maybe she would have done more leg-work.

Old 09-19-2007, 09:19 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,942,077 times
While I think that in some ways, it's good for consumers to do some searching for themselves, this issue does come up from time to time. You've signed up to get MLS information from many national sites, then say that she didn't do the legwork. Did she have the opportunity to do the leg-work? Did she not make available to you the same information that you were getting from 7 or 8 other sources? Even local independent companies have MLS search capabilities. I'm a little surprised that you didn't get the same redundant information on these various websites (which by the way are not updated nearly as often as a public access MLS such as Northern New England Real Estate Network - Official Website of the Northern New England MLS. How often were you checking these sites, and did you get automated emails from them? Did they offer up to date town/tax information on the homes? Were you able to find the days on market, if any offers had been accepted and fell through? Price reductions? Seller's motivation for moving? These things are all part of the leg-work that agents take care of, and that's even before an offer is made. The important stuff comes AFTER the initial offer, continues through negotiations, inspections, right up to closing escrow day.

In an earlier post, you said:
As a buyer myself, I do a lot of looking online. I am signed up at all of the major sites (realtor.com, ReMax, Caldwell Banker, Weichert, Prudential Fox & Roach, Yahoo; haven't gotten to MSN or C21 yet)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post

She did not do leg-work. I did this myself. The houses we walked were ones I found online via the many sites I belong to. There were a few we found while driving in neighborhoods that we saw signs, she pulled over and called to find out info about them.

<snip>

Who knows, had she had me sign something, maybe she would have done more leg-work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals