Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 12:51 PM

36 posts, read 174,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
Honestly, with NW Arkansas being in the "Highlands", I don't think I'd go WITHOUT Flood Insurance regardless of FEMA maps.

It's not that expensive compared to Homeowner's.

The property you want to buy: how is the pricing compared to sold comps in the neighborhood/area?
It is still a fairly new neighboorhood and there is still alot of construction going on, house wise and rainwater drainage wise...

The houses were sold for about $91.5 per sq.ft in the past 6 months and these homes were not and still are not part of the floodzone. The house we are buying is for $90 per sq.ft and this was before we or the owners were aware of the floodzone problem..

Also, i said in my previous posts that there was road behind our house that was in the 100 year flood plan.. Actually i checked again and it is not... Sorry for the misinformation.. I had checked the FEMA and they showed that the roads were...... However, The FEMA maps are not as clear and informational as our gis city maps..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2012, 05:07 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,302,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
We have lots of homes in flood plains out here as we have a lot of creeks.
Because you get LOTS of rain! <Big sunny CA smirk>

Old 08-04-2012, 05:41 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,861,227 times
DH and I are in EXACTLY the same predicament. FEMA has declared a property we're interested in a 'High Risk' flood zone as it backs onto a creek, but in talking to the neighbors it's only the land that gets flooded- water never breaches the level of the houses. The subdivision was built in the 1950s and no neighbors recall the creek flooding up into the houses, and there are no signs in the house itself that it has been flooded at any stage in the recent past.

At this stage I think my husband and I are going to take the risk if the home inspection comes back clean enough, even though it will cost more money per year in flood insurance.

Old 08-04-2012, 06:08 PM

36 posts, read 174,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
DH and I are in EXACTLY the same predicament. FEMA has declared a property we're interested in a 'High Risk' flood zone as it backs onto a creek, but in talking to the neighbors it's only the land that gets flooded- water never breaches the level of the houses. The subdivision was built in the 1950s and no neighbors recall the creek flooding up into the houses, and there are no signs in the house itself that it has been flooded at any stage in the recent past.

At this stage I think my husband and I are going to take the risk if the home inspection comes back clean enough, even though it will cost more money per year in flood insurance.
We have also met our potential neighbors lol and all of them said the same thing.. The water never backed up to their backyards either even though FEMA shows it does on their maps and they dont have to pay flood insurance either.

By the way, good luck with your purchase! what really matters is whether we are happy with our new home or not..

Old 08-04-2012, 06:36 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
Because you get LOTS of rain! <Big sunny CA smirk>
Heh...it hit 103 today here.

Old 07-27-2013, 11:39 AM

160 posts, read 505,904 times
So, timewaster99? did you purchase the said property or not?

Pls chime in with your experience.

Old 08-02-2013, 02:23 AM

794 posts, read 1,670,046 times
There are flood zones and then there are FLOOD ZONES. If you have a small creek or a big lake or a humongous river or a ginormous ocean then its different in different situations.

Old 11-25-2014, 09:14 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,519,025 times
Does being in a flood zone affect raw land -trees?

Old 12-10-2015, 10:00 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,157,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
Does being in a flood zone affect raw land -trees?
Killed a lot of my trees in Sandy as salt water is nasty in particular to Pine trees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals