Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 05:00 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,302,067 times

Advertisements

Maybe Hugh owns the place. I was hoping it was a pirate study.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 08:41 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,773,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
Actually, the ones I think are the worst are those with a Fair Housing Act violation in them. I think I saw 6 or 7 today flipping through that said some variation of "Great family home", which is on the no-no list. That one isn't so bad, in the grand scheme of things, but is still technically a violation. Anything that can get you and/or your client sued is probably the definition of "bad remarks".
Many people have the misconception that an ad cannot contain "family friendly", or things of that nature.

Look at it this way. Fair housing laws prevent discriminating against a protected class. One cannot refuse to rent or sell to a protected class, nor advertise that it will not sell or rent to a person of a protected class.

Familial Status is a protected class which one cannot discriminate against.

And when a protected class is being welcomed, they are not being discriminated against.

For any readers who may not be familiar with the term Familial Status:
Quote:

• Familial status discrimination refers to discrimination due to the presence of children under the age of 18 in the household.
  • Parents, legal guardians, or persons with custody of children under the age of 18 are protected.
  • Also, women who are pregnant,
  • those in process of securing legal custody,
  • and those who are looking to adopt a child in the future are also protected under the Fair Housing Act.
As I've always viewed this, if we advertise that a home or community is child friendly, or great family home, it is not discriminating against children. On the contrary, it is stating that children are welcome.

I have hired a professional copy writer to write all my descriptions in the future
. I sent her a description to rewrite for me and she had the same misconception about "family friendly", and said she didn't want to get me in trouble so I should check to make sure what I said was ok. I appreciated her concern and elected to get an opinion from my attorney so she would be more comfortable.

• The primary target market for the first house she is writing copy for me is a family with elementary school age children.
  • Secondarily, since it has the master bedroom on the first floor of the 2 level home, it is good for anyone else, including empty nesters, who may have a difficult time navigating stairs.
  • Consequently, I want the description to speak to the primary and secondary target markets.
Below are excerpts from my draft:

Quote:

"home for sale is perfect for young families or empty nesters who are downsizing."

"The lot has a large back yard with mature trees and a grassy area plus an area where
kids can run around and play in privacy. If members of the family wish to visit..."

"...one of those rare gems that has the master bedroom on the first level, which is
perfect for anyone who has difficulty navigating stairs, or for families who wish to give their children their own space upstairs ..."

"...If there are elementary school children
in the home, they can walk to the nearby elementary school..."
My attorney read the draft and his opinion was the same as mine:

Quote:
An advertisement that welcomes children and families is not discriminatory. Therefore the ad is acceptable.

NOTE:
I make this post for information only, and not as advice. I would recommend that anyone contemplating an ad like this consult with their own attorney.

Old 10-22-2012, 08:54 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,773,863 times
Here are a few gems I found:

Quote:
Oh my! This is a great find!
Quote:
**QUICK RESPONSE**NOT A SHORT SALE! NOT A BANK OWNED!
Quote:
Traditional Sale in the Exclusive community. Rarely can you find a gem like this on a Cul-de-sac
Quote:
GORGEOUS 4BD/2BA, N/S EXPLORE SINGLE LEVEL HOUSE
Quote:
Compare the $/sf and realize the value for yourself. 2012 - if that's not destiny I don't know what is!!
Quote:
Shakey escrow***10/17* bring back up! buyer to verify all facts*
Quote:
Don't miss out on this great opportunity . Buyer to verify all facts & figures including those listed in the MLS.
Quote:
This is it! Lovely basement home You will love it too. Refrigerator does not convey.
Quote:
WOW!!! Come check out this beautiful spacious home! Hurry in as this one won't last long! Buyer to verify all facts and figures.
Quote:
Cute 3 bedroom 2 bath.
Quote:
Hurry.. this is a HOT location and they go very fast. NO SHORT-SALE, NO FLIP, NO REO... How refreshing is that!! Quick answer from seller and quick closing too.
Quote:
Owner is very motivated to sell.$

Old 10-30-2012, 08:07 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,136,194 times
I think this one wins ^^

Old 10-31-2012, 01:14 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,302,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davecj View Post
I think this one wins ^^
Nice 2 bedroom home in Damascus. Some artillery damage.

Old 11-04-2012, 11:33 AM

1,758 posts, read 5,136,194 times
My new favorite:

Quote:
Remarks: To show, just open the door & holler to let any squaters run out the back door. There is no lockbox or key.

Old 10-06-2013, 05:12 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,861,227 times
I realize this is an old thread, but my baby is napping on my lap so I was looking at real estate for fun (as usual).

I found a listing for a house in East St. Louis IL (arguably one of the saddest, and definitely one of the most crime ridden small towns in America)...

For starters, the house is listed at $115,000 (it last sold for $11,000 back in 2001) in an area with an average property value of $42,000 but that aside, here are the remarks!

-Spelling Errors in red
-Also note how every word begins with a capital letter?
-I don't see how being next to Family Dollar is a positive selling point
-If you've ever been to East St. Louis, you'll also know that being in the Heart of East St. Louis isn't exactly a positive selling point either! (Poor ESTL!)

Located Nest To Family Dollar. Formally A Bed And Breakfast. Ideal Location With A High Traffic Count. Elegant Old Style Home In The Heart of East St. Louis With All The Amenities With Dual Zoning. Possible Short Sale.

Old 10-06-2013, 06:48 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
I realize this is an old thread, but my baby is napping on my lap so I was looking at real estate for fun (as usual).

I found a listing for a house in East St. Louis IL (arguably one of the saddest, and definitely one of the most crime ridden small towns in America)...

For starters, the house is listed at $115,000 (it last sold for $11,000 back in 2001) in an area with an average property value of $42,000 but that aside, here are the remarks!

-Spelling Errors in red
-Also note how every word begins with a capital letter?
-I don't see how being next to Family Dollar is a positive selling point
-If you've ever been to East St. Louis, you'll also know that being in the Heart of East St. Louis isn't exactly a positive selling point either! (Poor ESTL!)

Located Nest To Family Dollar. Formally A Bed And Breakfast. Ideal Location With A High Traffic Count. Elegant Old Style Home In The Heart of East St. Louis With All The Amenities With Dual Zoning. Possible Short Sale.
Being next to a Family Dollar, having high traffic count and having dual zoning means they are likely targeting this as commercial property (business). Maybe a funeral parlor or a law firm or a gas station or fast food restaurant or other business that fits the neighborhood.

Old 10-13-2013, 10:22 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,830,787 times
Chico's Bail Bonds?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals